Dish Network in Mexico City

foxy132

Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
St. Louis
Hello all, I'm moving to Mexico City soon for a couple of yrs only with my family and would definitely need american tv. I'm in desperate need of some info quick. I have a Directv triple lnb dish but with no tv(Direct tv) boxes. I was thinking about subscribing to Dish( because I like their 1 box - 2 tv receivers) with a US addy, then getting some of the newer Dish boxes, taking them down with me( not sure if everything will pass 'customs'), mounting the triple lnb dish, pointing the dish towards Kansas, then hookin up the boxes. I know i've simplified everything and I'm a newbie, but I read somewhere in the forum that this might be possible with a dual lnb but can this be done with a triple lnb? I appreciate any help regarding my specific situation.

Hi, I think you are going to need a much larger dish to get enough signal way down in Mexico. The satellites have a foot print for the con US. The signal will be very weak down there.

Maybe others can chime in on how big the dish (s) need to be,

Later, DC

Hello all, I'm moving to Mexico City soon for a couple of yrs only with my family and would definitely need american tv. I'm in desperate need of some info quick. I have a Directv triple lnb dish but with no tv(Direct tv) boxes. I was thinking about subscribing to Dish( because I like their 1 box - 2 tv receivers) with a US addy, then getting some of the newer Dish boxes, taking them down with me( not sure if everything will pass 'customs'), mounting the triple lnb dish, pointing the dish towards Kansas, then hookin up the boxes. I know i've simplified everything and I'm a newbie, but I read somewhere in the forum that this might be possible with a dual lnb but can this be done with a triple lnb? I appreciate any help regarding my specific situation.

I would not worry much about customs, the real problem is the signal, no regular dish size you use in your home town would be useful down here.

Regarding Dish Network, and after the last sat changes, the signal for sat 119 has been severely reduced, even a 8 ft dish will only receive 7 tps. For sat 110 and 129 also a 8 ft is required.

Directv we are also talking about a 8 footer for 101, and 6 ft dishes for other sats.

Your best bet might be to have a good friend in the US, and a great broadband connection between you in Mexico and your friend in the US. Sling from the friend to you. Yes, long shot. But might be doable.

I agree with the slingbox proposal.

Here is to give you an idea of the set up currently required

for Dish

Sat 110 8 ft dish (2.4 mts)
Sat 119 minimum 6 ft dish (1.8 mts), signal from this sat has severely been reduced in central Mexico
Sat 129 6 ft dish

for Directv
sat 101 8 ft dish
sat 99 6 ft
sat 103 6 ft
sat 119 6 ft.

SD would probably be the next best thing after US tv down here.
DN's recent signal loss is what made me ditch DN and replace it with SD.

I live in the northern part of Mexico City and recently had installed the HD Dishnet receiver on the recommendation of my tech/supplier. My 1.80 Mt dish is now pointed to 129 exclusively. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing signal loss from many of the TP's for 12 hours at a time i.e. from 9:00 to 21:00, mostly the even ones. Availability varies everyday even if it is not raining.

Very disappointed as I don't know what to expect and need some guidance and advice. I may also have line of sight problems although the dish has already been elevated with a tube extension with no significant results. My tech said it would probably not help to put it on top of the second floor. (That apartment belongs to somebody else). The LNB was also changed. Best signal strength I can get is in the twenties but on some TP´s I am able to see channels with a weaker 14 signal.

Is Shaw direct a better alternative? Otherwise I would probably have to go back to the limited 119 with a remote address for CBS,NBC, ABC and Fx.

Sorry I don't have technical info but would appreciate any comments from the experts. Thanks

I live in the northern part of Mexico City and recently had installed the HD Dishnet receiver on the recommendation of my tech/supplier. My 1.80 Mt dish is now pointed to 129 exclusively. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing signal loss from many of the TP's for 12 hours at a time i.e. from 9:00 to 21:00, mostly the even ones. Availability varies everyday even if it is not raining.

Very disappointed as I don't know what to expect and need some guidance and advice. I may also have line of sight problems although the dish has already been elevated with a tube extension with no significant results. My tech said it would probably not help to put it on top of the second floor. (That apartment belongs to somebody else). The LNB was also changed. Best signal strength I can get is in the twenties but on some TP´s I am able to see channels with a weaker 14 signal.

Is Shaw direct a better alternative? Otherwise I would probably have to go back to the limited 119 with a remote address for CBS,NBC, ABC and Fx.

Sorry I don't have technical info but would appreciate any comments from the experts. Thanks

Latest report I have for a 1.80 mts dish pointed at 129 is with signal strenght between 18-30, it´s possible that some tps being weaker than others may be out for a time. Apparently you are in the range, maybe a 2.40 could increase your case

Thanks for your comments. Its 11:00 A.M. and I still have a signal except from TP-s 20,22,24, 26. Will monitor to determine how long signal lasts on remainder depending on atmospheric conditions. Will explore 2.40 mt dish as well. Hope this exchange of info helps others with similar problems.

I agree with the slingbox proposal.

Here is to give you an idea of the set up currently required

for Directv
sat 101 8 ft dish
sat 99 6 ft
sat 103 6 ft
sat 119 6 ft.

Sorry to change the subject, how are you getting 99 and 103 on different dishes? I haven't been able to find individual KA band LNB's yet

Nop

Doesn't matter what size of antenna you put ( 1.80 or 2.40 ) you will lost the signal at night at sat 129. You will recover it at morning everyday.

Thanks for your comments. Its 11:00 A.M. and I still have a signal except from TP-s 20,22,24, 26. Will monitor to determine how long signal lasts on remainder depending on atmospheric conditions. Will explore 2.40 mt dish as well. Hope this exchange of info helps others with similar problems.

i am pointing at 61.5 hd dish with most of the tp above 25..
my receiver is 211k and i have a 1.5 meter offset antenna.

no problems at all

Last edited:
this is the best i could get
with the 1.5m antenna.

sat 61.5
tp signal
sat 61.5
tp signal
32 37
29 41
28 32
25 38
24 32
23 11
22 9
21 41
20 33
19 12
18 13
17 38
16 33
14 24
12 37
10 28
8 43
6 35
4 43
2 34

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)