Unable to Upgrade . . . Any Reason Why?

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
I e-chatted with a Dish customer service rep this morning about how I wanted to discuss my upgrade options for my VIP622. I am very happy with it and have been since I had installed (3 years ago?). The problem is I purchased a new tv and the hdmi port never worked on the receiver. I only kept it because it was hooked up to an older CRT by component cables. I was told that he could do nothing for me and gave no explanation. Any one want to guess as to why? My current setup is a 722K and 622 and yes, I have lapsed a monthly payment here and there but nothing that I did not resolve within a month.

Luckily the wife is giving me the 722K for the new television and I do not need to upgrade anymore, but I was just wondering what people thought some of the reasons may be?

Hemi 6.1 said:
Must have been a bad CSR.
If you want to upgrade they would most certainly let you, for a fee and a 24 month commitment.

That's what was perplexing to me ... push the 922, extra fees, and 24 months ... would mean more money

My guess would be, as you stated, you missed payments. I think you need to be in good standing for quite a while to be eligible for upgrades. It's been a while since I've had that issue, but I remember being told once that you can't be late with payments for at least one year straight.

If DISH gave you an upgrade you would be leasing the receiver from them. They would still own it but it would be in your possesion, from your admittance your payment history isn't perfect. Should they extend you a $500 receiver when you might not return it without collection problems? Now the assumption is your wife payed cash for the 722 so DISH has no liability on the equipment and still collects $17/mo. in additional receiver fees. You got your receiver and DISH dosen't have any additional risk for the additional monthly profit.

boba said:
If DISH gave you an upgrade you would be leasing the receiver from them. They would still own it but it would be in your possesion, from your admittance your payment history isn't perfect. Should they extend you a $500 receiver when you might not return it without collection problems? Now the assumption is your wife payed cash for the 722 so DISH has no liability on the equipment and still collects $17/mo. in additional receiver fees. You got your receiver and DISH dosen't have any additional risk for the additional monthly profit.

Both receivers and the account are in my name. I only lapsed my account maybe three times in over three years to be specific. The 722 was easily added on to my account when she decided to go with Dish without anything more than a 24 month commitment.

We do upgrades by receiver capability, so the 622 would only be able be changed to 922. Our system does not let us upgrade a 622 (HD Duo DVR) to a 722/722k (also HD Duo DVR). There could have also been other account specific factors for not allowing the upgrade. If the HDMI port on the 622 does not work, we can replace it.

MattG DISH said:
We do upgrades by receiver capability, so the 622 would only be able be changed to 922. Our system does not let us upgrade a 622 (HD Duo DVR) to a 722/722k (also HD Duo DVR). There could have also been other account specific factors for not allowing the upgrade. If the HDMI port on the 622 does not work, we can replace it.

I would love to know what those "other specific factors" may be?

And no, I do not see being late on a payment three times over three years as something negative considering I am sure with this economy other folks have had worse situations.

Not sure three late payments over three years would make a difference. Have you already made sure that it really is that the HDMI isn't working, rather than it being something else? I ask because mine did not work with my Panasonic TV, but works fine with my LG..... Also, found the actual HDMI cable can make a difference, even if that cable works in another application. I had one cable that worked just fine from my Blue Ray, but couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work from my audio/vidio receiver to my TV. On a whim, tried a different brand ( and a much cheaper one at that) and it worked fine.

I can confirm what Dish MattG has said that the basic CSR's cannot do a "like for like" upgrade. The software probably doesn't allow it. My aunt tried to upgrade one of her 722's to a 722K and was told no by the CSR. My aunt was willing to pay an upgrade fee; She was not looking for any freebies. The CSR didn't even want us to talk to the supervisor to see if there was some way the could allow it. She really just shouldn't have said anything and transferred us. Anyway we were blown off by the supervisors message to leave a message.

So, we did what we always do in such a situation: contacted Executive level, via email. BANG! we got a response the next day, a phone call, with profuse apologies and an explanation and confirmation the standard CSR's cant make such an upgrade. However, he authorized and RMA shipment of the 722K at NO CHARGE, even after my aunt had said, again, she would be willing to pay an upgrade fee. Another satisfied Dish customer. This is a HUGE reason why I choose to stay with Dish, even with the pressure of new fees because I can get action from Exceutive CSR's. However, the nice man forgot to also send the "K" remotes. However, we emailed him and he replied the the 'K" remotes were on their way.

Now, Executive may still say NO. However, they can offer much better explanations that make sense for refusing an "upgrade" or other requests and will try to satisfy you in some way if they can't. However, missing a few payments in a relatively SHORT period really isn't a good practice with a company that has to decide if they can trust you with a $400 box at a steep discount or for free. However, if you ever can't find satisfaction at the CSR level, always try the Executive CSR's.

It is interesting that no CSR nor Dish employee am I aware of, including the CSR people who post on this board, EVER offer the Executive level when a customer is denied, upset or has a problem. :) Now, I know some people get transferred to Retention if it seems they may cancel service, but Executive level is still a secret that is, ironically, never mentioned by any Dish employee I have ever dealt with as a customer. Executive might get flooded, I suppose. Still, Dish should not be satisfied with a dissatisfied customer that they can easily make satisfied. I really do believe that if a customer is OBVIOUSLY dissatisfied or greatly disappointed or distraught--and is a good customer-- with a denial and the CSR is out of options open to them, they should be referred Executive. I know all the reasons why not to, but I'm sure Dish has lost customers who otherwise could have been saved by Executive. Not everyone threatens to leave; some do it anyway, and by the time they are sent to Retention, it is too late and many have had it with Dish. Are you listening Charlie? And the numerous negative incidents (and poor installs) I have had with contractors!!! Another day, Charlie.

Last edited:
We do upgrades by receiver capability, so the 622 would only be able be changed to 922. Our system does not let us upgrade a 622 (HD Duo DVR) to a 722/722k (also HD Duo DVR).

I used to would have agreed with this statement however the 622 seems to be being phased out (e.g. Sling Adapter.)

I e-chatted with a Dish customer service rep this morning about how I wanted to discuss my upgrade options for my VIP622. I am very happy with it and have been since I had installed (3 years ago?). The problem is I purchased a new tv and the hdmi port never worked on the receiver. I only kept it because it was hooked up to an older CRT by component cables. I was told that he could do nothing for me and gave no explanation. Any one want to guess as to why? My current setup is a 722K and 622 and yes, I have lapsed a monthly payment here and there but nothing that I did not resolve within a month.

Luckily the wife is giving me the 722K for the new television and I do not need to upgrade anymore, but I was just wondering what people thought some of the reasons may be?

Here's the problem I have with this: When you told the CSR the reason you wanted to upgrade was because the HDMI port on the 622 didn't work, that should've changed this from an "upgrade" situation to a "technical" situation. I feel the CSR should've offered to either send you a replacement 622 or a tech out to replace that 622. It's very likely the tech would only have 722 or 722k receivers on his van. That's all dependent on what the tech's warehouse gave him (and we don't really see the 622 come thru the warehouse that much anymore).

Anyway, back to my point, if a tech was sent out, more than likely your 622 would have been replaced by a 722 or a 722k.

There are others on this board who can verify that a good number of 622s had problems with their HDMI port when they first came out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts