Dish Network Installation declined

asundevil

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Hey All, I live in an apartment and the other day Dish Network came by to do an install. After some fiddling around the technician came and said that he can't get something along the lines of a good tone from outside to the wall outlet I would have my dish network setup. He said that my apartment has a splitter somewhere along the line that daisy chains the other outlet in my apartment and that because of this splitter he cannot install the service. I asked him if I could put one of those inline amplifiers you can find at radio shack to bump up the signal and he said no I could not. So ultimately I ended up with no dish network and instead have to consider going to cable tv. Now here's the strange part, at the complex I live at there are a lot of dish network customers and these apartments are all built the same and as far as I can tell this complex is less than 10 years old. Could they just be yanking my chain here and give a bad excuse or is this really valid? I don't want to go to cable tv. Please help. :confused::(

Hey All, I live in an apartment and the other day Dish Network came by to do an install. After some fiddling around the technician came and said that he can't get something along the lines of a good tone from outside to the wall outlet I would have my dish network setup. He said that my apartment has a splitter somewhere along the line that daisy chains the other outlet in my apartment and that because of this splitter he cannot install the service. I asked him if I could put one of those inline amplifiers you can find at radio shack to bump up the signal and he said no I could not. So ultimately I ended up with no dish network and instead have to consider going to cable tv. Now here's the strange part, at the complex I live at there are a lot of dish network customers and these apartments are all built the same and as far as I can tell this complex is less than 10 years old. Could they just be yanking my chain here and give a bad excuse or is this really valid? I don't want to go to cable tv. Please help. :confused::(

sometimes cable has been installed the way he descibed. a simple spiltter in a sat feed will only cause problems.

so - either find that splitter or find a way to get a new line in from where the dish might be located to where your reciver will be. simple as that.

splitters are usually hidden in behind wall plates somewhere, could be a blank one, could be one with a TV outlet on it already. pull em off and look for it. sometimes there are more than one, could be one in each room that has a TV outlet.

sometimes in apartments they are behind a wall plate in a coat closet or in a utility room. hunt around. go in the basement or the attic if you can and look for cables that might run to your place.

if you really want the service, sometimes you have to make it happen.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the reason(s) why the other apartments were able to get Dish were (a) the splitter was easily accessed and bypassed or (b)...and more likely...those other apartments had a brand new and separate line from the dish ran to their individual receivers (flat window cable method comes to mind).

When I signed up for Dish, the first installer came to my house, took a look at my setup (I already had one dish from the previous owners) and said "there's no way you can get HD" and left after 3 minutes. All I had to do is call the company back and say that the first guy did nothing, used no equipment, and left after 3 minutes, and they sent someone out for a second opinion.

The second installer was much nicer, got a Dish setup with some sort of signal tester,and spent a few minutes searching for a signal, and ended up getting me hooked up with a 2nd Dish for HD in a total of about an hour.

So it may just be your first installer was lazy, call back and complain until they send you someone willing to do the job.

When I signed up for Dish, the first installer came to my house, took a look at my setup (I already had one dish from the previous owners) and said "there's no way you can get HD" and left after 3 minutes. All I had to do is call the company back and say that the first guy did nothing, used no equipment, and left after 3 minutes, and they sent someone out for a second opinion.

The second installer was much nicer, got a Dish setup with some sort of signal tester,and spent a few minutes searching for a signal, and ended up getting me hooked up with a 2nd Dish for HD in a total of about an hour.

So it may just be your first installer was lazy, call back and complain until they send you someone willing to do the job.

or he might have been a green horn. lots of newbs are intimdated by existing wiring challenges.

U should have no prob getting Dish.. I had it in my apt for 3 years before we moved into a house. I was on the ground floor so the put the dish on the roof, no prob an drop the lines. If ur in the PHX area hit me up an I'll give you the company who I used..They have been great with everything an did my move in 1 day..

U should have no prob getting Dish.. I had it in my apt for 3 years before we moved into a house. I was on the ground floor so the put the dish on the roof, no prob an drop the lines. If ur in the PHX area hit me up an I'll give you the company who I used..They have been great with everything an did my move in 1 day..

some apartments are no problem. some are BIG problems. landlord restrictions, line of site, cabling to interior aprtments, etc etc etc.

its not always so simple man.

Eggsactly, not always that simple.

Do what was already said, find the splitter as described. If you open up a wall plate and can stick your hand into the wall cavity, pull on that cable and you may just pull up a splitter shoved down in there.

Eggsactly, not always that simple.

Do what was already said, find the splitter as described. If you open up a wall plate and can stick your hand into the wall cavity, pull on that cable and you may just pull up a splitter shoved down in there.

Does your balcony face south west? Be sure to not pull a splitter out and have a pissed off neighbor below or above screamin wheres my cable tv!!! Theres alot of things a tech has to look for in a apartment install.

If i were you, i would just bite the cable bullet for now. If your apartment does face south west, there is always flatcable. Feel lucky it was just LOS, we cant do installs in KC unless we can ground the Dish and System. Could be worse..

What company was that? I do installs here in Phoenix as well. The OP can contact me here as well and I can possibly help. By the name I would say he's over in Tempe town.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts