Dish network installed today now I need to install at my vacation home!

ff70115

Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
mason
Hi kinda new to satellite just got it today.
My receiver is the VIP722k dvr-hd
The satellite is the Turbo HD
I am in mason oh 45040
I am on satellites 77 72 and 61.5

I want to use the receiver at my vacation home without monthly charges what would be the easiest way to do this I am there 3-5 days at a time so it would be best to just be able to unplug and plug the receiver in without messing with the settings. I only have one television there and it is an hdtv but I would not be upset if i didn't have the hd channels.

vacation home is monticello ky 42633
175 miles from my home

What satellite dish should i buy?
Can I get home local channels at vacation home?
what satellites should I hook up to at vacation home?
Do i need to buy anything to help aim the dish?
What satellites should I aim to at the vacation home?

The legal way to do it is to have the equipment installed at your vacation home (or install it yourself). I would guess the same sats used at your home will be the sats you need to see at your vacation home, unless the locals at the vacation home are on a sat you do not use at your home. Then, you are allowed to take your receiver (you said you only have one) to your vacation home. At that point you are supposed to call Dish, give them the address of where you will be using the box, and they will give the appropriate programming. When you return home, you give them that address. I do not know if they have a charge to do that...

Buy another dish like the one at your house if you want Cincinnati locals plus the same channels you currently get. There's a decent chance you're still in range for Cincinnati locals. Someone can check a coverage map to tell. I'm on my phone and can't...

Monticello is in the Lexington DMA whose locals are on a 77W ConUS transponder. The Cincy locals are also on a 77W ConUS transponder. If you do your own eastern arc install, you will still have the Cincy locals at Monticello if you do not call and change your service address. If you call and change your service address to Monticello, you will get the Lexington locals. If you have E* do the install, you will get the Lex locals. Next time you vacation if you do not call and change the service address to Monticello, you will still have Cincy locals if you want those instead. All of this is subject to change when the 77W spot beam satellite goes up, depending on the tightness of the beam and its orientation. E* used to do vacation homes as free Dishmovers. I don't know if they still do or if it applies to new subs. I think there may also be Dishmover benefits if you have the service contract. Relocating a receiver to Monticello without informing E* might be a violation of TOS although if you have only a single receiver, I don't see that as much of an issue. I think the cost of an install is around $95 otherwise which is close to the cost of the antenna, LNB, and cable. I'd have E* do the install and save the self labor.

so is the 1000.4 the only dish i should use? And what does E* mean? If I were to have someone install the dish should I use dish network or just go with a different company?

E* is shorthand for Dish Network (use to be called Echostar)

Just get the EA dish (1000.4), install it and enjoy TV. I'd do the install yourself.

Something that should probably be mentioned. As long as you only have 1 receiver, there is no real problem. If you were to get a 2nd receiver and left it at the main house and took the 722 receiver to the other house, that is technically acct splitting and a BIG no no. Just FYI.

Brad

Have to correct the previous posts. Make sure you get a Snowbird tag on your account before you start moving receivers. All receivers must make the trip between homes, and we can provide the setup at the second home using DISH Mover. In most cases, you can get that done at no additional charge. It IS allowed, so long as the address is updated when the receiver moves each time, and the snowbird tag is present. Again, splitting the account (one receiver left at one address, one at another) is not allowed.

Had to find the loophole so I could jump on the bandwagon. So I apologize if I had to find the tiniest detail that changes everything. Glad Matt is back to help, because sometimes its the smallest detail that changes the game.

Last edited:
It would be cheaper to buy a sling adapter and have another internet account. You'd get all the channels you do now and you'd only pay around $45.00 more. Depending on what the high speed internet cost in your area. (As long as you have internet now at your main house)

TonyT this is why he shouldn't tell you. You have to go by the LETTER of the law not the spirit.

Contracts are not about the "spirit". If they were, we would have certain HD feeds, ya? Observation only.... LOL I do not disagree with the sentiment but finding "legal" support in said sentiment has proven to fall short.

BTW, please re-read the post.. It has been edited! Forgive the former hasty replies from me and understand that I was trying to protect a consumer, not for any reason but caring.

Last edited:
Contracts are not about the "spirit". If they were, we would have certain HD feeds, ya? Observation only.... LOL I do not disagree with the sentiment but finding "legal" support in said sentiment has proven to fall short.

BTW, please re-read the post.. It has been edited! Forgive the former hasty replies from me and understand that I was trying to protect a consumer, not for any reason but caring. Hate me in PM! LOL

That is a completely different statement entirely. Now his getting a "snowbird" exception is a different thing altogether. There was no hate in what I said. Just somethings can be better if untold to certain people. :D

Erroe Code 04

What happened to DISH Techportal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)