Dish Network is pissing me off......badly.

ctciatti

Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Sorry this will be long, but I have to vent. I am very upset with Dish Network. I have been a loyal customer of Dish for almost 4 years, 2 of which I was out of contract. I loved the service, and the equipment.....never had a problem or complaint until now. I had a dual tuner standard definition DVR that controlled both my TV's. About 3 weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to inherit a 60" HDTV. I was very excited! As soon as I got it all hooked up, I called Dish to have my service upgraded to HD service. I spoke to them and requested an equipment upgrade to the VIP 722 HD dual tuner DVR. The rep that I spoke to told me that I was not eligible for an upgrade at this time, and that if I wanted to upgrade to HD service I would have to purchase the new reciever for $460 bucks, plus pay for installation!:eek: At this point, I got very disappointed. I called back Dish for about a week, speaking to several different CSR reps and they all told me the same thing. I don't know about you guys, but there is no way that I was going to pay that to upgrade to HD. I get offers all the time in the mail from DirecTV. I called them up and told them what I wanted. They were MORE than happy to offer their services installed FOR FREE, plus take 30 bucks off my bill for 12 months, plus give me free Showtime and STARS for 3 months. I then made one final phone call to DISH. I explained that I was a loyal Dish customer, and that I wanted nothing more that to stay with them. I made them aware of the offer that DirecTV made. They transferred me to a customer loyalty rep who again explained to me that there was nothing more they could offer me. I was pissed. I then hung up and called back DirecTV. I ordered there service reluctantly and canceled my beloved Dish Network service. Fast forward 2 weeks later. I now have the DirecTV installed at my home. I don't really like it and I think that the Dish Network has a superior service and equipment, but I would keep it rather than come out of pocket $500 bucks. This is the kicker here...........yesterday I got a letter in the mail from Dish Network. I opened it up and inside was a snazzy looking letter that says "We're willing to do ALMOST ANYTHING...TO GET YOU BACK! WE BELONG TOGETHER, AND WE WANT TO PROVE OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU. please let us know what we can do to make your experience right with DISH Network!" The offer included a free DVR upgrade (which I already had), HBO & showtime free for 3 months, and some free PPV. I immediately got pretty mad, because I want nothing more than to have Dish Network in my home, infact, what idiot calls a company and begs and pleads for a week to keep their service? Me, thats who. Anyway, There is a phone number to call and a promotion code. I called the number and spoke to someone regarding the letter. I explained why I left Dish Network and they then transferred me to customer loyalty. I spoke to another rep, and I explained my predicament again, and added that in order to come back to dish, I would have to call up DirecTV and battle with them to get out of the 2 year contract that I just agreed to and also further inconvenience myself to have dish come back to my house and re-install all their crap. I then told them that I would happy to jump through those hoops in order to get Dish Network back but this is what they had to do (the letter said very plainly PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT WE CAN DO TO MAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE RIGHT WITH DISH NETWORK)

1. I want to be upgraded to HD service like wanted in the first place
2. I want to be upgraded to the new 922 reciever, plus get another standard
def box for my other TV FREE OF CHARGE.

They told me no. They would honor the free DVR upgrade only. I ALREADY HAVE A DVR YOU IDIOTS!!!!! They then said that they would go ahead and upgrade me to the 722 receiver that I wanted in the first place, but THAT IS ALL I WANTED BEFORE I WENT THROUGH ALL THIS CRAP! They are offering me nothing for my wasted time and inconvenience. I feel that they atleast owe me the 922 upgrade just for making me jump through all these hoops and to earn my business back. What do you guys think? Sorry about the length of this rant. Looks like I am stuck with DirecTV.

Two weeks into a two year contract, that ETF is going to be awful if you break the contract. It sucks, but you might be stuck with Direct for a while. It's ridiculous that Dish refused to offer you anything until after you left and committed to another provider.

I then hung up and called back DirecTV. I ordered there service reluctantly and canceled my beloved Dish Network service. Fast forward 2 weeks later. I now have the DirecTV installed at my home. I don't really like it and I think that the Dish Network has a superior service and equipment, but I would keep it rather than come out of pocket $500 bucks.
:confused:

That is not the message you are portraying with your post.

I had the EXACT same experieince, BUT I was with Directv for over 6yrs and wanted an upgrade to HD. They would not give me the HD DVR for free like a new sub would get. They would only let me have it for $59. They lost a customer over $59....WTF....So I went with Dish. The hardware is far superior with Dish. Directv has spent over $59 on postage trying to get me back :rolleyes: and they started with the mail spam almost immediately trying to get me to come back.

What is wrong with both of these companies, is it not cheaper just trying to keep current customers happy :yes

What is wrong with both of these companies, is it not cheaper just trying to keep current customers happy :yes

REALLY!!!! It is just bad business. Why the hell do they offer free stuff to a new sub, but they won't give it up to keep AN ESTABLISHED CUSTOMER THAT IS OUT OF CONTRACT AND CAN LEAVE ANY TIME!!! This just doesn't make good business sense at all. I am really mad. All I want is my Dish Network back, but principle is stopping me.

If you're willing to take on the ETF, it might be worth taking a shot and emailing the Dish executive customer care team at the ceo email address. They might be able to offer you something extra to make it worth breaking your Direct contract and paying the ETF. If you're that interested in Dish, taking the extra step is probably worth a shot.

Why don't you just give Directv a chance? It's not like you will be out much by doing this. Going back to Dish right now is going to cost you more than just paying for the box in the first place.

I agree that all companies should do a better job keeping current customers happy. That being said, it's a lot to assume that Dish or any other company should just hand over new technology all the time to current customers. Any company is going to offer the freebies to attract new customers...credit card 0% introductory APR's, new car 0% down, Dish/Direct, free equip.,etc, etc. But does Ford give you a new car when they change models? Does Microsoft just give you Windows 7? Does Sony give you a new flat-screen because they don't make a CRT anymore? I have been a Dish customer since the very beginning, and trust me, I like a good promotion as much as anyone, but I have never thought I was entitled to such a thing. I'm sure few will agree with me, and that's fine...just throwing out the other side of the coin. Dish is not a "non-profit" after all.

Have you thought there may be something in your history you aren't telling us that affects DISH not wanting to offer you freebies? Sometimes there are reasons companies do what they do.

nothing bad in my history with DISH. I always paid my bill on time. And I don't just expect a company to hand over new tech to existing customers all the time, but when I request to pay MORE money to a company and need new equipment in order to do so, I expect some help. What I don't appreciate is when they only offer me what I wanted in the first place AFTER it was too late.

only 3 things would disqualify him from getting a lease rec upgrade promotion.

1. payment history/ non pay disconnects
2. previously particpated in an upgrade in last 12 months
3. does not meet the programming requirements of dishfam or above. (welcome pack does not count).

something is being left out here.

Well, I've only had it for a week........I think I can get out of it.

Probably not. DirecTV is pretty picky about their contracts. You normally only have 24 hours to cancel, and even then only under certain circumstances. After that, the ETF applies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)