DISH Network Launches Distant Networks

Where did you see that Dish pulled down the AAD HD distants? I believe Dish is providing them because AAD was not selling enough subscriptions to the HD distants to pay for the sat space,and just ended that service. And Dish has accomplished three things;
1. They are not fully competing with AAD, because they are not providing distants to dwellings.
2. By not providing to dwellings, it skips the whole qualifying process, where they got into trouble before.
3. By not knocking out AAD, at least those in white zones can still get distants, just not HD.
They may make some money, but I think the number of subscriptions will more cover the cost rather than make any real money. It is entirely possible at some future date they will expand the service, but it won't really matter to most because most won't qualify like they do with AAD.

Every one in the VI has to get there networks from AAD, most people in PR get theres from AAD because the PR locals are really bad quality. If AAD or Dish offered Distant Networks HD to us at $5 a month x 12 months x 250,000 customers, that comes to $15 million a year, without including any uncovered areas of the 50 states. So the fact that they were taken down was probably more a case of bad marketing then a lack of customers. Also wasn't the Law past in May 2010 designed so Dish could offer distant's again?

Also wasn't the Law past in May 2010 designed so Dish could offer distant's again?
nope. They could offer what amounted to "fill in" networks to areas that dont have the full slate of networks in a market...sig viewed and distants they have very restricted rules

Also your argument doesnt really hold water. There are lots of areas that can't get locals in HD, not just Puerto Rico. Some of these areas maybe did qualify for distants. And yes I know the Puerto Rico locals are of bad quality. I get the Big 4 on C-Band (WPRU ABC, WVGN NBC, the Fox and CW) and they look like hell on there (and thats considered the master feed) ;)

"Where did you see that Dish pulled down the AAD HD distants?"

Well I heard it myself from AAD when I lost my HD's and was reverted back to SD. They also said they received many complaints and hoped one day to be able to offer the HD's again.

Yes, and my point is there has been nothing to indicate Dish made them stop providing the HD service. They did receive complaints, but not because Dish made them stop.

I agree. I dont see why he couldnt call Dish and explain the situation. Just say you're in the RV all the time and send the correct paperwork in

I like the idea of being honest and upfront with Dish, but every time I do that I get burned.

They have an RV only plan (I guess that includes boats and planes too) that is a pay-as-you-go-in-advance arrangement, whereby you can use service for only days at a time. You have to pay for a month in advance, but you can turn it off after a week and retain a credit of three weeks to use later. It is a fairly new plan, but well documented. When I tried to be good and order a separate subscription for the motorhome the CSRs both here and across the seas had no idea what I was talking about. I follow RV forums closely and have read of at least 50 others who had the same experience. My honesty not only resulted in no service for the motorhome, but my home service was disabled as well. When they finally turned my home back on, the locals were gone. That took another two days to resolve. That's when I dropped the idea of the separate box in the RV and started carrying around my home DVRs.

We spend about half the year in the motorhome and if we're going to be in one spot for more than about a week I call them with a change of "service" address. The bill still has to go to the home billing address, but that's no problem. I have been playing this game with them for three years now, as have most of my RV friends. It is really stupid to have to go to these lengths just to get TV.

Also it is pure speculation on my part that the nationals will be in HD. I just thought that since ADD was in the SD business, it would only make sense for Dish to offer HD. In order for RVers to use the new service it would need to be on the western arc, as all the fancy sat gear we haul around only has the 1000.2 setup right now. Only the single sat domes and tripod setups could use the eastern arc.

Scott, thanks for keeping us informed on this, and thanks to all of you that have proposed a solution. I imagine the final resolution will be a mix of all your ideas.

I feel rather childish about getting all this involved about Dish and what they are or aren't going to do, but what else are you going to do sitting in a Wal-Mart parking lot? RVers are the only folks around living in a quarter million dollar house on wheels, looking for a free place to park!

If you live on the USVI and tell Dish you have moved to Puerto Rico from the USVI you will then receive the CBS and NBC stations which are based on St Thomas in the USVI.

According to someone I spoke with that was at Dish Fest in Denver who talked with someone in programming the reason we don't get these channels in the USVI is that no one at the stations ever return's Dish's phone call so a retransmission consent form can be signed. Sounds weird, but for those of us in the islands it is probably sadly true.

Jim

When I tried to be good and order a separate subscription for the motorhome the CSRs both here and across the seas had no idea what I was talking about.

Then I have to think you did not follow the instructions from Dish.
DishForMyRV.com: Mobile Satellite Dish Systems, Guides, Antennas, Receivers, Packages, iPhone Finder App & More

Pay as you go - DISH Network

Or call the number exclusively for RV's/pay as you go. 1-800-970-7102

You don't have to order a new subscription. Existing customer, for $7 a month can add the 211 model they describe. If you want a total second subscription, you can do that I'm sure. My In-laws neighbors just did this about two weeks ago, with no problems at all. I got a nice thank-you note for telling them to get Dish, and where to call, and they said how easy it was.

I agree. I dont see why he couldnt call Dish and explain the situation. Just say you're in the RV all the time and send the correct paperwork in
That's what I'm thinking.
Have both my reivers on an RV account, and just get Harrisburg locals OTA (the way I do with Baltmore right now).

If you live on the USVI and tell Dish you have moved to Puerto Rico from the USVI you will then receive the CBS and NBC stations which are based on St Thomas in the USVI.

According to someone I spoke with that was at Dish Fest in Denver who talked with someone in programming the reason we don't get these channels in the USVI is that no one at the stations ever return's Dish's phone call so a retransmission consent form can be signed. Sounds weird, but for those of us in the islands it is probably sadly true.

Jim

I just used my NYC address and I get all 4 networks, sadly only in SD and lost all my spot beam HD, so I downgraded to the welcome package. I might start slinging my TW down here

You don't have to order a new subscription. Existing customer, for $7 a month can add the 211 model they describe. If you want a total second subscription, you can do that I'm sure. My In-laws neighbors just did this about two weeks ago, with no problems at all. I got a nice thank-you note for telling them to get Dish, and where to call, and they said how easy it was.

if you currently have a sub at your home and want one for the RV you DO need 2 subs.
Second DISH Network Customer Account May be Required – A customer cannot receive DISH Network Distant Network Service on a DISH Network customer account located at a fixed dwelling (e.g., the customer’s home address). If a customer already has a DISH customer account for their home address, they will need a second DISH customer account to receive DISH Network Distant Network Service for their RV or qualifying commercial vehicle. Additionally, to receive DISH Network Distant Network Service, the second customer account must be activated under the Flex Plan as mentioned above.
But if you move everything to the RV account you should be fine. You wont get any "locals" if you come back home (you would have the distants) but if you have a HD receiver you can always plug an antenna in the receiver for the locals

I went from being excited at first to "bleh" over the course of reading that release. Looks like I'll just keep bringing my home receiver on the road with me and going without any network programming. Don't know why anyone but a full timer would go for that package.

Dish is providing distants now, really only to those that it can, RV's/Truckers. AAD can provide it to anyone who can not get their locals from an antenna. (if they qualify) Dish can not provide Distants to anyone that Dish also carries their locals. That is almost every market they serve.

Dish DNS sounds like a done deal except there has been no indication outside of the email that started this thread.

Being one of those RVers that qualify, I would like to get the forms and start the process.

I can't believe DISH can't make arrangement with AAD to offer to their subs the same HD channels. The channels are taking up transponder space anyway and it would mean a few extra $$$ in DISHs pocket and a much happier subscriber base.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)