Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
dISH Network® launches next-gen digital-to-analog converter box: dtvpal plus
Converter box includes enhanced digital tuner optimized for weak signal areas

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Sept. 24, 2008 DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the digital transition leader, today announced the availability of the DTVPal™ Plus, its next generation digital-to-analog converter box. The DTVPal™ Plus offers all the features of the industry favorite DTVPal™, plus an enhanced digital tuner for optimizing weak signal areas.

The DTVPal Plus joins DISH Network’s suite of converter boxes that qualify for the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s TV Converter Box Coupon Program; coupons may be ordered by visiting www.dtv2009.gov. The DTVPal™ Plus costs $29.99 with a government coupon; MSRP is $69.99*.

“The DTVPal™ Plus carries all the popular features of our top-rated DTVPal™, plus a tuner that can help consumers living in weak signal areas maximize the number of over-the-air channels they receive,” said Tom Stingley, executive vice president of Sales and Distribution for DISH Network. “With the introduction of the DTVPal™ Plus, DISH Network truly has solutions for every consumer in the country.”

In addition to the enhanced digital tuner, DTVPal™ Plus includes a unique analog pass-through feature, which means it can take both analog and digital signals – ideal for all consumers affected by the transition, as many stations are low-power and are not required to switch to digital broadcasts by 2009.

Additional components include an easy-to-follow setup wizard, an electronic program guide with up to seven days of program listings, parental controls, program search, auto tune timers for program recording on a connected VCR, closed caption support, a remote control, and signal strength screen pop-ups that can troubleshoot lost signals.

Consumers can also prepare for the digital transition by subscribing to pay television. DISH Network offers the best value in entertainment with the lowest all-digital price every day, along with unmatched technology and award-winning customer service that has surpassed major cable TV providers for the past eight years. The recently introduced DISH Network American and Latino Welcome Packs feature 20 popular channels for less than $10 per month. Or for as little as $19.99 per month (additional $5 for local channels), DISH Network customers can subscribe to the DishFAMILY package and receive over 40 popular channels, plus free installation and activation.

For more information about DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474). To learn more about the DTVPal Plus, or to order a converter box, visit www.dtvpal.com or call 1-888-638-9912.
*Does not include shipping or taxes

Maybe it will have enhanced firmware too, based on lessons learned from the first version.

I hope the "enhanced" tuner is in the TR-50/DTVPal DVR. I'll need one in one location.

Scott, please edit the links in your announcement to get rid of the Outlook-ish overhead. Firefox sez: *barf*

I hope the "enhanced" tuner is in the TR-50/DTVPal DVR. I'll need one in one location.

It's the same one in the DVR as in the Plus. The DTVPal Plus uses a Silicon tuner from Microtune instead of the old Thompson "can" tuner.

FYI, it's the same tuner as in the Sansonic and Lasonic CECBs that got top ratings for picture quality.

wonder if Sears will carry both

Will be interesting to see if it comes with a better remote.
If not, there will be the same uproar as with the regular DTVpal.

Scott, please edit the links in your announcement to get rid of the Outlook-ish overhead. Firefox sez: *barf*
and yes, those links are junk...

... yes, those links are junk...
+1. I get:
291nq05.png

I just got mine today and looks like the same remote (I do not have the regular PAL) but I'm getting signal dropouts at 90-95%. In the other room using the same model antenna, the DB2 nothing using the RCA entry level converter. If this keeps up, I'm gonna want a refund of course Dish doesn't say a thing about refunds?

I just got mine today and looks like the same remote (I do not have the regular PAL) but I'm getting signal dropouts at 90-95%. In the other room using the same model antenna, the DB2 nothing using the RCA entry level converter. If this keeps up, I'm gonna want a refund of course Dish doesn't say a thing about refunds?
Does your current antenna setup have any amplifiers?

It is possible to make your situation worse with amplifiers. They amplify the signal but also amplify noise or interference.

Think of a very weak radio station where you just barely can hear through the static. Then you connect the radio tuner output to a 500 watt stereo amp and turn up the volume. The sound can be so loud you can hardly stand it and you still can't hear the station any clearer.

This is called "raising the noise floor."

Just a possibility.

Forgot one fact: The signal strength number is just the inverse of AGC (automatic gain control) setting. So if there is a lot of signal the AGC turns down the gain and reports a high signal strength. And when there is nearly no signal the AGC turns the gain to max and reports a very low signal strength.

And the AGC in consumer electronics isn't so smart as to tell between a lot of noise sources, or even strong adjcent channels, and the actual signal your trying to pull in.

FYI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)