DISH Network Launches WGN America in HD and Renews Retransmission Agreement with Trib

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Network Launches WGN America in HD and Renews Retransmission Agreement with Tribune’s 23 Television Stations

Englewood, Colo. – June 12, 2008 – DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider and the digital transition leader, today announced an agreement with Tribune, America’s largest employee-owned media company, to add WGN America in HD to its lineup of more than 80 national HD channels. As part of the agreement, DISH Network® this week will begin to carry high-definition programming from four Tribune stations in major markets – KCPQ FOX, Seattle, Wash.; WPIX CW, New York, N.Y.; WGN-TV CW, Chicago, Ill.; and KTXL FOX, Sacramento, Ca.

The agreement also provides for DISH Network to launch and carry the HD signals of the rest of the Tribune group, with 23 television stations in 19 markets.

“With the Cubs and White Sox leading their divisions in the Major Leagues, we are excited to reach this agreement with Tribune to launch WGN America in HD. Now, DISH Network subscribers throughout the country can follow this exciting season in high definition, especially the upcoming cross-town battles between the Cubs and Sox at Wrigley Field and U.S. Cellular Field later this month,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of programming for DISH Network. “Along with WGN America in HD, we are also pleased to add Tribune’s local signals in high definition to our lineup. These are some of the most popular stations in the markets Tribune serves.”

“We’re very pleased to extend our agreements with DISH Network,” said Bill Shaw, general manager of WGN America. “This agreement provides solid value for Tribune and will deliver our best entertainment, sports and news programming to DISH Network subscribers in the best format possible – full HD.”

Located on DISH Network channel 239 HD, WGN America in HD is available to DISH Network customers who subscribe to AT200 Essential HD and higher, as well as DISH Network’s exclusive HD-only Absolute programming package, available for $29.99 per month. DISH Network’s Latino subscribers may find WGN America in HD in DISH Latino MAX HD and higher.

WGN America, previously known as Superstation WGN, carries more baseball games than any other national television network – all in high definition, with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. WGN America is also the home of the Chicago Bulls, whose games are also carried in HD.

Earlier this year, DISH Network announced plans to enhance its HD programming line-up throughout 2008. DISH Network continues its commitment to reach the year-end goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels.

DISH Network offers new customers the opportunity to upgrade for free to a dishHD DVR receiver like the ViP722™ – which recently received the top-ranking Editors’ Choice awards from both CNET and PC Magazine. The ViP722 is a dual-tuner HD DVR that operates two televisions in separate rooms and offers up to 500 hours of storage capacity allowing customers to pause, rewind and fast forward their favorite TV programming.

For more information about DISH Network’s HD offerings or DVR technology, call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), visit DISH Network -- Home, or visit your local DISH Network retailer.

Thanks. I guess I can look forward to getting my nlocal CW (a tribune station) soon.

WGN is doing something cool today - a throwback broadcast celebrating the 60 year anniversary of their first Cubs telecast.

The first innings are in B/W. I'm curious if it is in B/W HD???? I have DirecTV, so you tell me.

Very cool broadcast so far - something neat to check out.
Throwback uniforms, pregame stuff about WWII, using old on-screen graphics, pretty neat

Here are a couple captures (sd).

Attachments

• capture002.jpg
    capture002.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 178
  • capture003.jpg
    capture003.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 172
  • capture005.jpg
    capture005.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 179
  • capture006.jpg
    capture006.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 170
WGN is doing something cool today - a throwback broadcast celebrating the 60 year anniversary of their first Cubs telecast.

The first innings are in B/W. I'm curious if it is in B/W HD???? I have DirecTV, so you tell me.

Very cool broadcast so far - something neat to check out.
Throwback uniforms, pregame stuff about WWII, using old on-screen graphics, pretty neat

I just took a look..

Yes it is in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)