Dish Network Locals Only Package????

robstudio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Cambridge, MA
Hi, Due to the Springfield, MA locals debacle I'm considering purchasing another receiver / account to receive HD locals only. 'Moving' is not an option. What is the cheapest package that would include HD locals? I would purchase a new 211k for locals only... or should I just wait out this Springfield mess.... a few weeks is ok... months is not.... Thanks

It isn't wise to assume that everyone is familiar with what's going on in your back yard.

What "debacle" are you speaking of?

Hi, Due to the Springfield, MA locals debacle I'm considering purchasing another receiver / account to receive HD locals only. 'Moving' is not an option. What is the cheapest package that would include HD locals? I would purchase a new 211k for locals only... or should I just wait out this Springfield mess.... a few weeks is ok... months is not.... Thanks

If I remember right its either 9.99 just for locals or 5.99 + $6 fee for no package
I've seen the 9.99 published elsewhere and I know the 5.99 + $6 fee. Did that a while ago

Right now Dish's website is showing only 2/4 of the majors and PBS, none in HD:

Congratulations! This address is eligible for the:
Springfield/Holyoke, MA Local Network Package

Local channels currently available in this package:
Locals Package - $5.99 per month*

Code:
Station    Local Channel Number     Dish Channel Number
NBC-WWLP         22                        5272
PBS-WGBY         57                        5274
CBS-WSHM          3                        6531

Last edited:
this getting WAY off topic but they should merge the Hartford and Springfield DMAs. Lots of DMAs cross state lines and those two areas have more in common than many others and the cities are what about 25 miles apart?

Thanks for the replies, folks.
I'm already a 'mover' ... too far from Boston spot to get locals. I MUST have NESN as my RSN. So looks like for now only option is another receiver / account for locals. I get one channel ota. Thanks for the suggestion though. Bummer....

I get one channel ota.
Sometimes an OTA amplifier (cf Channel Master or Winegard) can greatly increase the number of OTA channels received. At my relatives' house, unplugging the amplifier causes most of the OTA channels to vanish.
Of course, a higher and/or better antenna can improve OTA reception as well.
Note that there is no monthly fee for OTA, so any money spent is one time only.

There is a good site where you can input your address and get the exact OTA situation at:

TV Fool

Soooo worst case is 15~16 / month plus buying another receiver. Any idea if they'd ding me a dvr fee as well on a 211k with external drive? I know I'd have to pay the 39 activate the drive...
This might be the best option for me anyway... be nice to have local news/weather. I'm 80 miles from network towers, so I'd need some serious OTA gear for reliable reception. Thanks again for the help. Great community here!!!

They have. There is no more welcome pack being sold to new subs. But that doesn't mean you can't have just locals and pay the $6.00 no programming access fee , if you OWN your receivers and are not under contract with DISH.

I talked with Dish again tonight about locals only and was told it would $ 11.00 for the first month and after that it would be $9.99 a month (locals plus monthly fee). Something about an activation fee for the first month which is why it is $11.00. This price is only if you are all setup with a dish and receiver and don't need Dish to come out. If they have to come out its $149.00.

I've talked to Dish twice in the last month and they told me both times I could have just the locals. I even have it in writing.

I just did this today, and it was easy. I told them I wanted to downgrade to locals only, so it's 9.99 plus 6 dollar access fee (plus taxes, which I hope are small).

With all the other ways to get the programming I want, the 250 pack just wasn't worth the 70 bucks extra at all anymore.

I love my 622 dvr though, so this will help me with getting all the network shows I want without having to fuss with downloading then or aquiring some other way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts