Dish Network MPEG4 & Programming Updates

What do you guys think? If I own a 811 should I get rid of it while I can or do you think they will offer some swap for 811 owners?

Just my opinion, but I think it will be another 12-18 months before E* will subsidize the swap-out of existing MPEG-2 HD receivers in en masse. I expect most 411/211s will go to new installations, while others will be available to Dish Network retailers like The Dishstore. I currently lease a 942 and two 811s. I'm satisfied with the 811s and---even though I would like to replace one with a 942---I'll continue to use them until the MPEG-4 HD DVR situation becomes clear or E* replaces them; I am in no hurry since the 811s work well. However, if I owned an 811 I would probably sell (get what you can for the 811) and get a 211 receiver...the 942-like interface is much nicer.

My swap out rotation will be this:

When they offer a good price on a 211ViP for "good customers", I'll buy one and swap my 811 to the 2nd system. I'll finally retire the 6000 after many years of good service, and a job well done.

When they offer a good trade on the 811, I'll trade it out.

Cheers,

With E*'s obvious disappointment with the initial performance of MPEG4 in testing, and their announcement of turbo MPEG2, I am going to wait and see what format new HD content is in. With the new HD content up in test mode it shouldn't be long. From a marketing point of view, they should add the new channels this week before Thanksgiving. JMHO.

Blech. For that price they should have included a hard drive.

They are selling off brand HDTVs for $400 at Best Buy on Black Friday. There is no reason HD Tuners should still be commanding these premiums.

ANY word on an MPeg4 HD PVR from E* yet? I've heard rumors about a 962, but still haven't seen any demos anywhere. Does this mean it is still 12 months out (remember the 921 was shown about a year and a half BEFORE you could buy one).

BobMurdoch said:
Blech. For that price they should have included a hard drive.

They are selling off brand HDTVs for $400 at Best Buy on Black Friday. There is no reason HD Tuners should still be commanding these premiums.

ANY word on an MPeg4 HD PVR from E* yet? I've heard rumors about a 962, but still haven't seen any demos anywhere. Does this mean it is still 12 months out (remember the 921 was shown about a year and a half BEFORE you could buy one).

Define off-brand....and a link if you have one.

Maybe the admins can sticky this now that we have some information on the release date:

Update: The 411 AND ViP211 receivers BOTH will be made available on 12/15/05 for retailers. That means you can call your retailers on that day on to purchase or order your 411/ViP211 receivers.

The MSRP should be the same for both but have not been announced.

New customers will pay a $49.99 upgrade if they choose either the 411 or the ViP211 receiver over the 811 receiver. So if you want the 411 or ViP211 receiver, you have to pay $49.99 to upgrade over the 811 receiver option plus any other fees associated with DHA (activation and shipping fee, if applicable).

Dish will probably try to sell the 211 and 411 receivers first before doing any swaps to see if any existing subs will buy them. I imagine that all new content will be MPEG-4 which will have some subs wanting to buy them and others wanting to switch to DirecTv to get out of paying for the HD receivers.

imported_kevcar0603 said:
That's the price she told me. She knew nothing about it until I told her and she even had a spec sheet on it so I don't think she was full of it. Price sounds odd but call for yourself.
The DN CSR's are usually chock full of inaccuarate info.....I deal with them every day...Some are well experianxced and have learned the ropes..Most o fhtem though are not problem solvers..The second you ask a question whos answer is not ont eir script, they hit the panic button..it can real dicey if you ask to speak to a supervisor(coach)..Soem CSR's get very testy...I get comiants from custs on occaission about less than resep0ctful CSR's..Especially in DN's offshore call center..They suck....

Thats why I tell them to call me and not call Dish because of the inaccurate info and how they blame the retailer for problems that are their own. They sometimes outright lie and then I have an angry customer call me asking this and that. It is my word against Dish's because they called the actual Dish Network phone number. If you are a retailer you know what I am talking about. This really ticks me off. By having the customer call me I save a lot of problems and I save Dish Network some money by not tying the phone lines up. I think that is the way Dish Network wants it anyways. I am surprised that they do not reroute the phone calls to some of the retailers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)