Dish Network Needs To Stop Overcompression!

good question - i'll check with my friend, but right now he's in vegas! next time i see a highly compressed game on center ice i'm going to reply back to that email (as above) with the channel number and my complaint. if they are sincere in their comments then voicing our opinion (with specifics) may help.

good question - i'll check with my friend, but right now he's in vegas! next time i see a highly compressed game on center ice i'm going to reply back to that email (as above) with the channel number and my complaint. if they are sincere in their comments then voicing our opinion (with specifics) may help.

yep..thanks a lot for checking!

yep..thanks a lot for checking!

Dude, get a big freakin satellite dish and a high def FTA dvb receiver. And you'll see the best picture quality there is available on satellite and a ton of HD sports feeds are available for free and they really "POP". It's like looking through a window. Otherwise accept what you got or like others have said maybe you do have a problem with your system. But in any case little dish and cable will never offer the quality that is available with a high def DVB receiver. They can't even match the quality of a 10 yr old 4DTV system due to reduced bit rates.:eek:

The only possible help for Dish SD over compression (IMHO) is to move everyone to MPEG-4 receivers. 110/119 are saturated with channels, and there are effectively zero transponders left there for Dish to disperse the channels and reduce compression. Another satellite won't help, because there are only so many transponders available per satellite slot, and Dish is already using all of theirs.

At least with MPEG-4 compression, Dish could use the same number of channels per transponder, but the compression would be more effective, and thus less noticeable.

The only possible help for Dish SD over compression (IMHO) is to move everyone to MPEG-4 receivers. 110/119 are saturated with channels, and there are effectively zero transponders left there for Dish to disperse the channels and reduce compression. Another satellite won't help, because there are only so many transponders available per satellite slot, and Dish is already using all of theirs.

At least with MPEG-4 compression, Dish could use the same number of channels per transponder, but the compression would be more effective, and thus less noticeable.

I totally agree. But there are other alternatives. 4 that I know of BR/HDDVD, 4DTV and DVB FTA. The last 2 are kind of for the hobbyist and not the average channel surfer. But when used in conjunction with DISHNET it should fill the voids. It works for me as I own all 5 systems. :D

Two years ago I watched in awe at the picture quality coming from my mpeg2 HDDVR and my sony HDTV. It was incredible!

Now two years later I have the same tv with an mpeg4 HDDVR and the macroblocking on the HD channels is terrible. In addition, the SD channels are hardly watchable for any type of sporting event. Tennis balls, hockey pucks, etc. are not visible.

Picture quantity takes precedence over quality! Get used to it!

Dude, get a big freakin satellite dish and a high def FTA dvb receiver. And you'll see the best picture quality there is available on satellite and a ton of HD sports feeds are available for free and they really "POP". It's like looking through a window. Otherwise accept what you got or like others have said maybe you do have a problem with your system. But in any case little dish and cable will never offer the quality that is available with a high def DVB receiver. They can't even match the quality of a 10 yr old 4DTV system due to reduced bit rates.:eek:

yep..you are right :)

Two years ago I watched in awe at the picture quality coming from my mpeg2 HDDVR and my sony HDTV. It was incredible!

Now two years later I have the same tv with an mpeg4 HDDVR and the macroblocking on the HD channels is terrible. In addition, the SD channels are hardly watchable for any type of sporting event. Tennis balls, hockey pucks, etc. are not visible.

Picture quantity takes precedence over quality! Get used to it!

yep :)

I totally agree. But there are other alternatives. 4 that I know of BR/HDDVD, 4DTV and DVB FTA. The last 2 are kind of for the hobbyist and not the average channel surfer. But when used in conjunction with DISHNET it should fill the voids. It works for me as I own all 5 systems. :D

cool..where can I read more about 4DTV and the like?

cool..where can I read more about 4DTV and the like?

Just to let you know. 4DTV and DVB C-band FTA requires at least a 6 ft. dish.
10 foot is the preferred. But anyways heres a good write up of what it is about but it too is also a little outdated as little dish has more further compressed HD available for subscription. Also satguys has both a FTA section of the forum and also a C band section so check that out too. Also I want to mention that alot that is available FTA is not made public due to fears of encryption by programmers. But there is groups that you can join to find out whats up their for the taking. Also blind scan is your freind:)

Alan's C-Band 4DTV BUD info page

Wow...now I know what you guys are talking about.

I was watching my local RSN (MSG alternate for Sabres) on a 24" SD CRT Saturday night. It was so compressed that camera pans looked terrible.

Then yesterday (Sunday) I was watching a local channel, FOX, on a 13" SD CRT. It looked like a Youtube video.

National channels look better, but this was unacceptably bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts