Dish Network Needs To Stop Overcompression!

Tim Godsil

On Vacation
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
When I watch Dish at my buddy's house, some channels are very over compressed. Sometimes the PPV Preview Channels or Nasa Will be so bad it's like watching a movie on you tube taken with a pen camera! I think dish needs to fire up satellites to one on 119.1 and one on 110.1 Then they can be picked up by the same dish and they can move the channels on there.

heh?

Dish is allowed 21 transponders on 119 and 29 on 110 (Dish has the other 11 on 119 and 3 on 110) so Dish has to make with what they got. Adding a satellite there isnt going to help. On 119 the first 5 odd TP's are spotbeams so that leaves 16 transponders for a fair amount of national channels. (for the 2 basic packages)...100 has a fair amount of spotbeams too so Dish has to compress it.

They have around 11-12 channels per transponder. Audio channels take up less space (I think its 6 or 8 per 1 video channel)

yeah we should be seeing half of those channels per TP. Dish SD is so fricikin bad I can't even stand it on my 27" Zenith classic boob tube!

When I watch Dish at my buddy's house, some channels are very over compressed. Sometimes the PPV Preview Channels or Nasa Will be so bad it's like watching a movie on you tube taken with a pen camera! I think dish needs to fire up satellites to one on 119.1 and one on 110.1 Then they can be picked up by the same dish and they can move the channels on there.

You can't have high power KU band sats .1 degrees apart. It doesn't work that way.

heh?

Dish is allowed 21 transponders on 119 and 29 on 110 (Dish has the other 11 on 119 and 3 on 110) so Dish has to make with what they got. Adding a satellite there isnt going to help. On 119 the first 5 odd TP's are spotbeams so that leaves 16 transponders for a fair amount of national channels. (for the 2 basic packages)...100 has a fair amount of spotbeams too so Dish has to compress it.

They have around 11-12 channels per transponder. Audio channels take up less space (I think its 6 or 8 per 1 video channel)

oh yeah???
maybe DIsh Nwk shoudl stop compressing channels so bad that it compromises quality..I'd rather have less channels but with crystal clear quality.

OP has the right anger. I am totally disgusted with dish SD pq as well. YOu can't even watch tennis or soccer channels because compression is just so bad sometimes that you cannot see the ball. Shame on Dish for taking quantity over quality.

I wish their CEO would come and sit in my room and watch couple of games and then tell me if he enjoyed it. I wonder what he'd say.

damn my cable analog had better pq when I was watching hockey than dish sd.

I know.I have the SAME exact problem while watching sport channels. And even some other channels too. The picture is soooo bad that hald the time you cannot see the ball moving on the screen. Dish should be ashamed of themselves to compress stuff so much that you cannot even enjoy watching it on SD. They should stop claiming that their PQ is so much better then cable.

I had insight cable and I had great pq when watching FSN Ohio. Now with dish I do not even want to watch blue jackets play because the quality is so bad with motion artifacts and mosquito noise and all kind of other stuff.

the sad thing is that i just signed up for dish 1.5 ago thinking that I will not only get more channels but also far better pq than cable.

I think digital quality picture is a myth on satellite....because they overcompress stuff so much.

I say take another sat up in the sky or do not offer that many channels that you can't even watch!

yeah we should be seeing half of those channels per TP. Dish SD is so fricikin bad I can't even stand it on my 27" Zenith classic boob tube!

yep Dish SD is so awful on some channels on my 27' GE too. I can;t watch any soccer or hockey or tennis is the worst one. It is incredible that they keep claiming that their picture is better than cable. What a joke. If could have been better if they did not compress is so much!

I perfer quality over quantity especially when half the channels are shopping and other infomercial crap.

27" Zenith and GE boob tubes. Now there's a quality perspective.:rolleyes:

27" Zenith and GE boob tubes. Now there's a quality perspective.:rolleyes:

I know they are both old and sucky..but hey they worked and had perfect SD pq when I had cable.

I don't understand why people here are having such a hard time to even admit that there is overcompression problem on many dish channels.

I know they are both old and sucky..but hey they worked and had perfect SD pq when I had cable.

I don't understand why people here are having such a hard time to even admit that there is overcompression problem on many dish channels.
We understand it and accept it for now, instead of repeatedly moaning about it.

We understand it and accept it for now, instead of repeatedly moaning about it.

well you are the first one on this whole forum who realizes that. thank god. others were just trying to say I had problems with install or what not.

now that we all agree it is a problem, what can we all collectively do to make dish network fix this? or make it at least a little bit more watchable.
i mean sesriously if we do not complain enough they wil never address the problem or even make it even worse...

well you are the first one on this whole forum who realizes that. thank god. others were just tring to say I had problems with install or what not.

now that we all agree it is a proble, what can we all collectively do to make dish network fix this? or make it at least a little bit more watchable.
NOTHING until the new sat gets up mid next year. Hearing is adjourned!

nothing really can be done? i'm new to dish and i too was astounded at the poor pq - i emailed them and received the following (in part) -

We are currently looking into the signal quality of NHL Center Ice in both SD and HD formats. We are reviewing these feeds with our Master Control and Engineering departments to see what can be done to improve signal quality. If and when it appears that improvements have been made, we would like to contact you for your opinion.

and according to an engineer friend of mine they can adjust compression on a channel by channel basis- eg compress the talk shows, news etc more-- and do not compress the sports as much - this can be done manually or via set parameters (i'm paraphrasing here).
so perhaps if enough people complained (especially those who pay extra for premium channels such as CI) then maybe they will/ can do something prior to the new sats.

Andy, in your particular case, you haven't even had any inspection of your installation by a professional and I haven't seen you post where you did check out a retailers showcase to see if they had the same issues. This could very well be a kinked or hammered cable at your house causing these issues, but you want to drag up old threads where people whined about PQ and automatically assume its a problem with Dish since a few out of millions have said they have the same problem. So how about you get some BER readings from a competent tech with the right tools and post them here. While your at it, try a different receiver so we know it isn't a bad box and then we can cry on each others shoulders.

If I recall, the OP of this thread was kicked out for flooding the forums. Andy, you are doing the same thing.

Andy, in your particular case, you haven't even had any inspection of your installation by a professional and I haven't seen you post where you did check out a retailers showcase to see if they had the same issues. This could very well be a kinked or hammered cable at your house causing these issues, but you want to drag up old threads where people whined about PQ and automatically assume its a problem with Dish since a few out of millions have said they have the same problem. So how about you get some BER readings from a competent tech with the right tools and post them here. While your at it, try a different receiver so we know it isn't a bad box and then we can cry on each others shoulders.

If I recall, the OP of this thread was kicked out for flooding the forums. Andy, you are doing the same thing.

you don;t have to respond to legitimate questions. Forums are for discussions. Don;t like the question, don;t freaking read it! I call dish and all the told me was to reset all my receivers and it fixed the problem for 1 day..after that it returned again today! so don't accuse me of whining..just don;t read the freaking message board!

people like you and KAB just don't understand what forums are for..you only like to read convenient for you posts.

P.S. In case you did not notice it was not me who started this thread..but even if it was...so frickign what? don't read it then.

the overcompression DOES totally suck. the OP has only posted 67 times, as of today, so he/she has not had the oppty to become as complacement with the crappy quality as others who've been around longer.

dont post in a theard if said thread irks you. you're not a judge, and have authority to 'adjoun' conversations!

right on! thanks

Give me a break. For the last 10 years its been "just wait until the next bird goes up: PQ will be AWESOME!!" Of course, birds go up and they use all the bandwidth for LiL and other new stuff and the PQ on the bit-starved existing channels never improves.

10 years from now: "Just wait for Echostar XXVIII: Dish has promised 1 channel per transponder and HD-Heavy!"

nothing really can be done? i'm new to dish and i too was astounded at the poor pq - i emailed them and received the following (in part) -

We are currently looking into the signal quality of NHL Center Ice in both SD and HD formats. We are reviewing these feeds with our Master Control and Engineering departments to see what can be done to improve signal quality. If and when it appears that improvements have been made, we would like to contact you for your opinion.

and according to an engineer friend of mine they can adjust compression on a channel by channel basis- eg compress the talk shows, news etc more-- and do not compress the sports as much - this can be done manually or via set parameters (i'm paraphrasing here).
so perhaps if enough people complained (especially those who pay extra for premium channels such as CI) then maybe they will/ can do something prior to the new sats.

yep..they should be able to do it manually. However, where is common sense. I know that sports channels need more bandwidth than say news/ talk shows. So, it makes only sense to reduce compression on sports channels and increase on news channels. Sounds like a nobrainer to me! New channels look half decent..so I am sure increasing compression on them would not hurt much since the camera is almost always focused on a person and not moving constantly like in sports.

I've noticed that some channels are better one day and worse another. Do you think they run some programs that adjust the compression everyday on a particular channel based say on the broadcast schedule, etc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts