Dish network Newbie Please help

skander

Original poster
May 10, 2005
I want to order dish network from dishnetwork's site . I am living in tri state area and current promotion is $19.99 for America's top 60 + Local with one year of commitment. I have only one television and would like to have a single receiver. MY questions are:
1. When I try to order online and choose standrard receiver during dish selection, it always selects Receiver 322. For this receiver, I have to pay extra $4.99. IF I dont need dish network in two rooms, can't they provide a simple reciever so that I dont need to pay any extra fees?
2. Does Dishnetwork charge any shipping fees for the equipments. Some people told me that if u order from dishnetwork directly they do charge shipping fees of $25?
3. What would be my total bill (including tax and other such things) considering their advertised rates are $19.99...

I know these are quite basic questions ...Any help is appreciated. Please...
thanks
skander

Welcome.
1. You could use the second tuner to record to a VCR or DVD or a second TV with guests. The $5 change is usually if you have no phoneline connected on a dual tuner.
2. Shipping is usually included with initial purchase -- you are a first timer?
3. You will have state and local taxes in most places. You pay the first two months on the first bill and in advance thereafter.
If you want more things like an HD tuner, HD package, VOOM channels, movie channels, etc., then you will pay more. If your satellite locals are from 61.5 or 148 be sure to get the second dish. If they are from 105 or 121 you will get a bigger SuperDish. Get as much as you will want because you are a first timer only once.
Are you sure you do not want a DVR? It will change your viewing habits.
-Ken

Ask around and see if there is a local retailer for Dish that has a good rep.
If you don't want all the bells and whistles of higher end receivers a good
local reatailer will set you up and give you a standard 311 single tuner.

Like was said before get all the extras, cause you are only a new customer once(very good advice).

Oh by the way

Welcome to Satellite Guys.

You will find a lot of helpfull people on here don't be shy.

ke4est said:
Like was said before get all the extras, cause you are only a new customer once(very good advice).

Like he ^ said, get everything now that you think you may want to have in the near future since you will have to "PAY" for it later if you decide to add on to your setup. So, get all of the bells and whistles even if you don't plan on using them right away.

thanks everybody for help. This helps a lot. I am still under one confusion , I talked to dish guys and they said they would offer receiver 311 to me. I live in one bedroom apartment , I really dont mind having 322. I think with 311, I can connect television in only one room and with 322 I can connect television to both rooms. So its helpful.

I do have landline (basic telephone)...but kind of skeptical about connecting landline to dish receiver.... Is this a hassle or quite easy and does Dish network create problem or hassles in getting credit or its smooth. Please let me know. If its easy and smooth I would go for 322.

thanks once againl...
skander

skander said:
thanks everybody for help. This helps a lot. I am still under one confusion , I talked to dish guys and they said they would offer receiver 311 to me. I live in one bedroom apartment , I really dont mind having 322. I think with 311, I can connect television in only one room and with 322 I can connect television to both rooms. So its helpful.

I do have landline (basic telephone)...but kind of skeptical about connecting landline to dish receiver.... Is this a hassle or quite easy and does Dish network create problem or hassles in getting credit or its smooth. Please let me know. If its easy and smooth I would go for 322.

thanks once againl...
skander

welcome :wave

If you connect it to the phone line, they wave the 2nd receiver fee of 4.99
The unit makes an outbound call (toll free) early morning hours I think once a month or something like that. It really isn’t a big deal…

Like everyone said…get the best setup you can right away, because after that it will cost more to change : )

You may need TV in only 1 room so the 311 is sufficient. However, with the 322 you will be able to watch one show and tape another at the same time. And with the 522 DVR (or its 625 replacement) you'll be able to record 2 at once while you watch something you previously recorded and not have to fiddle with any tapes though you will get hit with a DVR fee. And then there's HDTV...

To get a receiver with those extra features later as an existing customer, you likely won't so much have to "PAY" as you will have to *PAY*!

Ok thanks everybody for help. Just last confusion (I am a real newbie here)... I have only one television and as such 311 is sufficient but can I ask installer to make two rooms connection ready so that I can move stuff from one room to another and enjoy dish tv in any of the room.
thanks
skander

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)