DIsh Network Olympic Info

GaryPen said:
The reason is that some receivers' software will not work with this olympic interactive thing.

I think he is talking about just the HIGHLIGHTS channel (on 147) not the interactive thing.

Dish Network and NBC (mainly NBC) are working on adding more DMA's. I hear another list (final list) could be out in Wednesday Night.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish Network and NBC (mainly NBC) are working on adding more DMA's. I hear another list (final list) could be out in Wednesday Night.

Thanks, Scott
Hears hoping more get added.

Will the HDTV Broadcast be commerical free? If so, then I guess the locals affiliates don't worry about it too much. No local ads to be bypassed due to the dish feed.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Receivers:ust 30, 2004:

USA (Ch. 105)

Available on the: 3900, 4900, 111, 301, 311, 322, 522
NOT available on the: 501, 508, 510, 721, 811

Technical:

While in full screen mode, only the system keys will work (i.e. recall, info, view, cancel, etc.). The arrow keys, number keys, and DVR keys will NOT function until the customer completely exits the Olympic Showcase application.

QUOTE]

So the only DVR/PVR it this will work on is the 522??!?!?!?!?!? No 501s?
Is that correct?
Am I going to have to reactivate my old 4900 just for this for the fortnight?

The following is a clone of my post on DBSTalk.

Colorado Springs is NOT on the list. :(

So, I called KOAA at 719-632-5030 (that's the Colo. Spgs. number - but they're actually based in Pueblo, so there's a different local phone number for that city).

Anyway, they transferred me to "Quentin" who is in charge of waivers, and I guess other satellite stuff. He's been on vacation, and so is a bit behind - he hasn't even read up on the NBC-HD Olympic feed yet. He was very polite and receptive to checking into letting us have the HD feeds, and said he would follow up. :)

My thought is that it might help if he gets a few POLITE AND RESPECTFUL phone calls to encourage him to make this happen. Don't forget to tell him that you normally watch his station's local feed via Dish, but sure would like to see the Olympics in HD. :)

Just to add to this thread. Last night on Tech Chat they said the HD Olympics will be broadcast at 22Mbps which EXCEEDS the standard HD specs, so it should be pretty snazzy! Of course you also have to consider the quality of the cameras... dont know...

SimpleSimon said:
My thought is that it might help if he gets a few POLITE AND RESPECTFUL phone calls to encourage him to make this happen. Don't forget to tell him that you normally watch his station's local feed via Dish, but sure would like to see the Olympics in HD. :)

My affiliate isn't on the list either, so I decided to follow this hint and MAN, talk about rude and down right deffensive in their position NOT to allow. These guys were down right ba$tards. I think "hometown", small affiliates might tend to lend this way; having much more to lose it seems, as opposed to larger markets. Oh well, I will see what transpires in the next day or two. Thanks Simon for the idea, I hope it works out for others.

dmodemd said:
Just to add to this thread. Last night on Tech Chat they said the HD Olympics will be broadcast at 22Mbps which EXCEEDS the standard HD specs, so it should be pretty snazzy! Of course you also have to consider the quality of the cameras... dont know...
That explains why Dish has it on a transponder all of its own.

charper1 - why not post the name of the affliate and who you talked to - maybe you have some neighbors that would like to help pound them into submission - or at least fill their phone lines with calls. :D

Olymphics in HD

If they are broadcast in HD but they can't be picked up with the 811's and 6000's, who will be able to see them in HD other than the OTA? So what is the advantage of broadcasting in HD if we can't receive them in HD? Or am I missing something somewhere?

I would appreciate any enlightenment on this.

Thanks.

Razorback Hog said:
If they are broadcast in HD but they can't be picked up with the 811's and 6000's, who will be able to see them in HD other than the OTA? So what is the advantage of broadcasting in HD if we can't receive them in HD? Or am I missing something somewhere?

I would appreciate any enlightenment on this.

Thanks.

Razorback, your confusing 2 different things.

Dish will carry the Olympics in HD and the 811, 6000 and 921 will be able to receive them. The catch here is that you have to live in a white area, and NBC o&o DMA or a DMA that has granted Dish a waiver to broadcast the NBC HD feed.

The other thing Dish is doing for the Olympics is providing an interactive service via Dish Home (channel 100) that allows the viewer to see what is currently playing on all 6 NBC affiliated networks and switch and choose among them. This feature will not be available on the 811, 6000, 921 or I suspect 721.

NightRyder

We live in the Monterey/Santa Cruz DMA and currently are receiving LA Distant Nets ABC, and NBC,CBS,Fox by waiver. We also get CBS-HD from LA. My question is will we be able to get the Olympic HD feed based on our current NBC waiver or is that a separate issue?

kn6k said:
We live in the Monterey/Santa Cruz DMA and currently are receiving LA Distant Nets ABC, and NBC,CBS,Fox by waiver. We also get CBS-HD from LA. My question is will we be able to get the Olympic HD feed based on our current NBC waiver or is that a separate issue?

That's my question exactly. I receive Dallas locals. Can I get NBC-HD based on that alone? If not, I truly live in a "white area" for my NBC. I can't get their analog signal or their digital signal. Does that qualify me? or do I have to have some pointy headed beaureaucrat look at a map and agree with me before I get the signal?

Stacy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)