Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
(Note from Scott, I am not sure what I think about this... I do think its GREAT that more DISH employees can post here but I do hope thee employees do it in a way which does not harm the official DISH posters who do it as part of their job. DISH has done amazing things with DIRT and their Early testing teams. I don't want to lose it.)

[h=2]The National Labor Relations Board rules the company went too far by forbidding employees from commenting on online sites in their free time.[/h]
Dish Network employees will soon be able to go on Twitter and, in their free time, say things like, "I wish I was working for DirecTV. Much safer working conditions there."

The National Labor Relations Board has ordered Dish to change a "Social Media" policy in the employee handbook that prevented workers from making disparaging or defamatory comments about the company. Additionally, the NLRB has slapped Dish for exercising too much control over the way its employees interact with media and government agencies.

The NLRB has signaled in the past that it would become more active in monitoring corporate social media policies.

The rise of Twitter, Facebook, blogs and other online forums have led many companies to enact guidelines for how employees must behave there.

Read the rest at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/dish-network-social-media-policy-392001

Scott:

I think it's good in the sense that workers get back 1st amendment rights on their off hours.

As long as they indicate they aren't doing anything officially I think it will be of more help than hindrance.

Don't overlook that Dish will have the right to fire over remarks made if they know who made them. It's the fact they would not allow the remarks to made that was deemed wrong, and probably rightly so.
Simply saying they are not official posts means nothing really. You would be better to not identify yourself at all with Dish. Once you do, a company has a right to fire you for disparaging remarks as well as commenting on private memos, among other things. Just ask those who tweeted or put things on facebook and have been fired.

Companies do have too much 'control' sometimes. Of course, the employees always have the option to quit. But it does get ridiculous sometimes. ...My wife is a teacher and our neighbor's kid went to her school. The neighbor's mom asked if my wife could bring the kid home on some days when mom's work schedule made it very difficult to pick up her kid. Of course my wife said that was fine. But the school board (later that year) made a policy forbidding teachers from bringing other kids to/from school. I thought that was overstepping.. It they're going to tell you who is allowed to ride in your personal vehicle, then they need to pay for mileage, insurance, and count driving time as 'on-the-clock.'

I understand the need to be 'professional' because you create an image for the company where you work. The thing about no confidential info revealed is a no-brainer. But it almost sounds worse that Dish does not allow 'negative' speech but they allow 'positive' posts? Are they trying to hide something? If there's one Dish employee who thinks Dish sucks, I'm sure there's a Direct employee who would say the same.. And that could probably be said for any corporation that employees at least 2 people.

Or, stay and exercise your 1st amendment rights.

Never had a job you didn't like?

These days some people take that to an extreme. If you don't like the job, QUIT- sh!t or get off the pot.

It's just wrong that some would rather moan and complain and cry about their situation instead of trying to make it better for themselves.

Last edited:
I'd think you'd have to be pretty stupid to identify yourself as an employee for X company then talk about how horrible it is. You're just asking to get fired.

It's one thing to say you're an employee and you hate the company, it's another thing to say you're an employee and then personally identify yourself then say you hate the company. You're just asking for trouble. Especially if it's the only job you can get.

It's even worse to do it on the Internet where anyone can read anything you say and there is pretty much a record of everything you said.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I'm all for freedom of speech and believe there should be nothing wrong with criticizing who you work for.However,it's a double edge sword.There are many that abuse that freedom and will speak untruths or distort the truth to their advantage.

Any truly good company should always be open to factual criticism though.It can lead to good company striving to be a great company.

Any truly good company should always be open to factual criticism though.It can lead to good company striving to be a great company.

Right, but they should not have to put up with disgruntled employees constantly saying "this company sucks", "they are crooks", etc...

Constructive criticism is one thing, an upset employee's rant is another.

I'm all for freedom of speech and believe there should be nothing wrong with criticizing who you work for.However,it's a double edge sword.There are many that abuse that freedom and will speak untruths or distort the truth to their advantage.

Have to agree with Teehar. Can't see it being an issue if what is being said is an honest experience.

Right, but they should not have to put up with disgruntled employees constantly saying "this company sucks", "they are crooks", etc...

Constructive criticism is one thing, an upset employee's rant is another.

Disgruntled is just another word for angry or dissatisfied, doesn't make them liars.

(Note from Scott, I am not sure what I think about this... I do think its GREAT that more DISH employees can post here but I do hope thee employees do it in a way which does not harm the official DISH posters who do it as part of their job. DISH has done amazing things with DIRT and their Early testing teams. I don't want to lose it.)

[h=2]The National Labor Relations Board rules the company went too far by forbidding employees from commenting on online sites in their free time.[/h]
Dish Network employees will soon be able to go on Twitter and, in their free time, say things like, "I wish I was working for DirecTV. Much safer working conditions there."

The National Labor Relations Board has ordered Dish to change a "Social Media" policy in the employee handbook that prevented workers from making disparaging or defamatory comments about the company. Additionally, the NLRB has slapped Dish for exercising too much control over the way its employees interact with media and government agencies.

The NLRB has signaled in the past that it would become more active in monitoring corporate social media policies.

The rise of Twitter, Facebook, blogs and other online forums have led many companies to enact guidelines for how employees must behave there.

Read the rest at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/dish-network-social-media-policy-392001
While I support the First Amendment, one issue on which I must be clear....Just because one CAN do something does not mean they SHOULD..
I think one should temper their comments regarding a current employer while using a public forum...JMHO..

Don't overlook that Dish will have the right to fire over remarks made if they know who made them. It's the fact they would not allow the remarks to made that was deemed wrong, and probably rightly so.
Simply saying they are not official posts means nothing really. You would be better to not identify yourself at all with Dish. Once you do, a company has a right to fire you for disparaging remarks as well as commenting on private memos, among other things. Just ask those who tweeted or put things on facebook and have been fired.

Actually, the courts have already ruled against employees being fired for making negative statements against their employers.

Its also illegal in Illinois now for an employer to demand access to your non-public postings and private social media accouny data either pre or post employment.

In other words, so long as you are not stealing, sharing corporate secrets, or lying about a company it is legal to post it on a social media site if you are working and living in Illinois - what you say and do on your own time in none of their business.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I worked for a company that had that policy, since I signed a contract stating I was on call 24/7 , they felt they had the right to tell employees what they can & can't do on their "off work" time and that included internet activities, the plan backfired big time as a blog was started by "disgruntled former employees" who still had friends working for the company, word of the blog eventually spread throughout the company and trickled down to the customers viewing the behind the scenes of the company, this of course did not fair well with the new ownership of the corporation that implemented this rule. The owner of the blog was actually started by a current employee that was overwhelmed and gained popularity by former employees, Management fired the blog owner when they caught him red handed doing admin stuff on the blog at work. the Blog was shutdown instantly, as previous requests to Google blogspot were ignored, anyhow few days afterwards another blog was started by a different admin who was never discovered. These blogs were viewed by customers who had contracts with the corporation and were pretty pissed at what they were reading about the on goings of the company and even some employees badmouthing some customers by their company name on the blog.

I believe that what I do on my own time and on my own equipment is my business and not the company I work for business.

I believe that what I do on my own time and on my own equipment is my business and not the company I work for business.

Of course, so long as what you do does not have an adverse effect on the company.

....Just because one CAN do something does not mean they SHOULD..

This is the biggest thing. With the internet, though, everyone thinks they have a voice. No backbone though......

It's pretty simple- If you cannot say what you are going to post online to your employer in person, then you should not post it online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)