Dish Network Ordered to Change Social Media Policy

This is the biggest thing. With the internet, though, everyone thinks they have a voice. No backbone though......

It's pretty simple- If you cannot say what you are going to post online to your employer in person, then you should not post it online.

I agree with that statement.There is just one caveat.When the employee is afraid to speak their feelings to their boss out of fear of being fired.

I agree with that statement.There is just one caveat.When the employee is afraid to speak their feelings to their boss out of fear of being fired.

This is true, but there are other methods, i.e. whistle-blowers have existed since before the internet. Bigger companies have HR departments, and there are always attorneys.

Then you have some extreme employees that want to get fired to draw unemployment and other benefits.

This is true, but there are other methods, i.e. whistle-blowers have existed since before the internet. Bigger companies have HR departments, and there are always attorneys.

Then you have some extreme employees that want to get fired to draw unemployment and other benefits.

Yep that's why I say it's a double edged sword.There are always bad apples that like to create drama,they always screw things up for the good ones that would just like to see some improvements.

Yep that's why I say it's a double edged sword.There are always bad apples that like to create drama,they always screw things up for the good ones that would just like to see some improvements.

Yes sir, that is for sure. And the internet is a breeding ground for those drama queens.

Ever have two friends split up and take their feud online? We have seen it before and still do not comprehend why.....

I'm so glad IBM has reasonable guidelines. We are ENCOURAGED to post, and to identify ourselves as IBMers, with the usual disclaimer that we don't speak for the company.

Now, that said, you can get in BIG trouble for revealing IBM Confidential data, but that's just common sense.

We don't necessarily have to badmouth Dish for them to want to fire us. Just giving the rest of the world the inside scoop is enough to make them look horrible from a ethical perspective. I actually enjoy the work more than I don't and I like my coworkers, all of them. I just think the pay leaves a lot to be desired.

Or, stay and exercise your 1st amendment rights.

Never had a job you didn't like?
Yes, and I left every one of them. So far in this country nobody had a gun to my head and forced me to work for them. From what I understand every U.S. citizen has that right(at least so far,in the future maybe not).

PTVC said:
Sometimes you just have to take a job you don't want. and keep a job you don't like.

Then should you (and I don't mean to imply you individually) be expressing disdain for your employer on a public forum, possibly jeopardizing your employment?

Yup, this happened to a coworker of mine when I worked at DirecTV. AFAIK, he never ID'd himself as an employee, but posted something about their equipment return policies (I don't know if it was on here or on the other site) but DirecTV corporate security got notified somehow and the site admin turned over his personal IP addy which revealed his home address (He never posted from a work computer, IIRC) and they cross referenced the address with their employee database and knew who it was. Freaked him out majorly.

...DirecTV corporate security got notified somehow and the site admin turned over his personal IP addy...
Apparently that site admin has no b*lls as D*'s security group has no legal authority and they should have just been ignored or told to screw off.

Apparently that site admin has no b*lls as D*'s security group has no legal authority and they should have just been ignored or told to screw off.

Agreed. It wasn't even proprietary or confidential info he posted. Needless to say he was pretty surprised when he was called into HR over it.

Beavis said:
he never ID'd himself as an employee, but posted something about their equipment return policies (I don't know if it was on here or on the other site) but DirecTV corporate security got notified somehow and the site admin turned over his personal IP addy which revealed his home address.
wasn't here then... We don't give out that info without permission of the member or by request of a judge. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)