Dish Network over the air HDTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vwmartinez

Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
Is there a satellite receiver that can pick up the over the air HDTV signals without having to subscribe to the HDTV package from Dish Network preferably one with a built in DVR? I have a HDTV converter but I had to disconnect it when I subscribed to Dish Network I would really like to have the over the air HDTV again but I do not want to subscribe to the HDTV package.

Thanks, Jaime

you can't get an HD reciever without subbing to the HD package, unless you pay for it in full without any promo price. The 811 and 921 both have OTA but you have to have it hooked up to a dish for it to work.

What do you mean you had an HDTV convertor, but had to disconnect it?

You are looking for the LG LST-3410A it is an HD STB with DVR, and when you say HDTV converter are you talking about a VGA to componant box?

OK I changed it to the index page and you guys can search the unit in the products list. Sorry about the dynamic link.

The HD pack is only $9.95/month and you get HDNET (Bikini Destinations), HDNET Movies, TNTHD (upcoming Basketball games), ESPNHD (tons of sports HD) and DiscoveryHD (tons of great documentaries). It's well worth the money (to me anyway).

You do need to be connected to a dish, but then if you point it to 61.5 you can pickup the demo channel and that is a great source for showing off your system.

I think by 'HDTV converter' vwmartinez means simply a DVB-T tuner box. Like how some of us used to call the old cable boxes 'cable converters'. Just my guess.

If so, that's the kind of thing I'm looking to buy some day. Nothing fancy, HD not even necessary. If you guys know of a cheap basic DVB-T (OTA DTV) tuner box, let me know.

And charper1, I'm not getting anything at that link, just a blank page. Perhaps it needs a session cookie? (like the E* program grid on zap2it)

The HDTV converter I have picks up the local HDTV signals so I can watch them on my HDTV ready TV. I really only want the local HDTV channels without subscribing to the HDTV package. It seems like the only way for me to get the local HDTV signal without subscribing to the Dish HDTV package is to turn off my dish 522 box and then turn on my HDTV converter box when I want to watch local shows in HDTV.

You do not have to subscribe to the HDTV Pak in order to receive OTA HD on the 6000, 811 & 921. But, you MUST have them hooked up to a dish so they can see & receive a satellite signal.

Your TV doesn't have a separate HD input (component, DVI, or whatever) from a SVideo or even composite input? There's gotta be a way to have them both connected and allow them to be on at the same time and play nice together. We'll try to help, but with more information please. :)

Like Tux said. Your TV should allow both the HDTV Tuner and the Dish Network SDTV receiver to both be connected at the same time. I can't think that there is a single HDTV set out there with only a single input.

the 51 inch Magnavox that is out there now only has 1 component input. Are we talking about hd inputs or all inputs???

I guess the problem I am having connecting them separatly is that the coax that I had connecting my antenna in my attic to my HDTV receiver is now being used to connect my dish to my satellite box. and since I live in a two story house it is a real pain to run another coax from the attic to the first floor.

Diplexers

vwmartinez said:
I guess the problem I am having connecting them separatly is that the coax that I had connecting my antenna in my attic to my HDTV receiver is now being used to connect my dish to my satellite box. and since I live in a two story house it is a real pain to run another coax from the attic to the first floor.

You can use two diplexors so you can combine your Local OTA signals down the same Coax as your Satellite cable. Use one Diplexor to combine the signals down the cable and then another Diplexor to seperate the signals so you can connect your OTA and Satelllite feeds seperately. BTW the signals must be seperated before you connect the Coax to the Satellite receivers Satellite coax input.

John

diplexors are not splitters

keep in mind that diplexors are very different than 1 dollar splitters. They are special parts about 20 dollars each, but allow you to send cable and sat. or ant and sat. or security cameras and sat...etc down one rg-6 or god forbid, rg-59. just make sure to hook up the hi freq. (approx 2000mhz0 side to the sat feed, and the ant feed to the low freq. side (approx 5-1000mhz)

good luck Jon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts