Dish Network pole size in 2005?

twodose

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Does anyone remember what the pole size was to mount a dish network dish in 2005?

When I got Dish Network in 2005, it was before they had the hopper-joey and the original dish was on a 2” pole, then when they came to put the hopper-joey dish the size changed to 1-5/8, so I had an adapter made to fit on the 2” pole for the new dish, you can see the adapter in the picture, now after all these years I am going to Direct TV and it looks like they are going to need a 2” for that, In 1987 I purchase a BUD and had it until 2005, that is where I wanted to put the new dish network dish, on top of the old 6” pole from the BUD.

I should just be able to remove the adapter and the Direct TV dish should fit on there OK.

I measured the pole without the adapter and the OD looks like it is 2”, so I should be OK with direct TV dish, that’s why I asked if anyone could remember the size of the mast needed for the original dish network dish in 2005, because I couldn’t remember what the original size was that was needed.

What you see in the picture is a 6” to 2” adapter I had made up.

It was a fiasco back then when the installer tried to put the new dish from Dish Network, 5 minutes after the installer left, it tilted so much that it was practically pointing at the ground, I had to chase the guy down the road to show him what happened, and it took a couple weeks to get the adapter made, I don’t want to go through that again, I couldn’t get anyone from direct tv to tell me the size of the post that would be needed for the new dish from DTV.

When talking to DTV, they don’t speak good English, and there is allot lost in the translation, I told them I would like to talk to the installer to make sure I have the right size, so when they show up on 12/05/21 that everything would go smooth, but they said they can’t do that, they said the installer would contact me a day or so before the install and I could find out what size was needed, but that would not be enough time to get something made up if I had to, If I did need some sort of an adapter.

I can’t make it on sight, and it could take possibly a couple of weeks to have something made up if it was needed, but it looks like I won’t need it.

When I switched to Dish from the local cable co back in 2005 the Company that installed it didn’t want to come until the day of the install and I had to pay them $100 to do a site survey a couple weeks before to make sure they could install the dish where I wanted.

This is a little long winded, but it is hard to explain in a couple words, but thank you all for the quick response.

Attachments

• 20211126_163936.jpg
    20211126_163936.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 20211126_164340.jpg
    20211126_164340.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: charlesrshell
I've done a couple of DTV to Dish installs using common vehicle exhaust pipe parts. A 2" ID to 1-1/2" OD adapter mated with a suitable length of 1-1/2" ID (1-5/8 OD) pipe and a couple of clamps gets the job done with minimal fuss. I ran a few self tapping screws through the pipe walls to prevent any possible turning or tilting in strong winds.

So looks like the dish before the hopper and joeys came out used a 2" not a 1-5/8.

When I got Dish Network in 2005, it was before they had the hopper-joey and the original dish was on a 2” pole, then when they came to put the hopper-joey dish the size changed to 1-5/8, so I had an adapter made to fit on the 2” pole for the new dish, you can see the adapter in the picture, now after all these years I am going to Direct TV and it looks like they are going to need a 2” for that, In 1987 I purchase a BUD and had it until 2005, that is where I wanted to put the new dish network dish, on top of the old 6” pole from the BUD.

I should just be able to remove the adapter and the Direct TV dish should fit on there OK.

I measured the pole without the adapter and the OD looks like it is 2”, so I should be OK with direct TV dish, that’s why I asked if anyone could remember the size of the mast needed for the original dish network dish in 2005, because I couldn’t remember what the original size was that was needed.

What you see in the picture is a 6” to 2” adapter I had made up.

It was a fiasco back then when the installer tried to put the new dish from Dish Network, 5 minutes after the installer left, it tilted so much that it was practically pointing at the ground, I had to chase the guy down the road to show him what happened, and it took a couple weeks to get the adapter made, I don’t want to go through that again, I couldn’t get anyone from direct tv to tell me the size of the post that would be needed for the new dish from DTV.

When talking to DTV, they don’t speak good English, and there is allot lost in the translation, I told them I would like to talk to the installer to make sure I have the right size, so when they show up on 12/05/21 that everything would go smooth, but they said they can’t do that, they said the installer would contact me a day or so before the install and I could find out what size was needed, but that would not be enough time to get something made up if I had to, If I did need some sort of an adapter.

I can’t make it on sight, and it could take possibly a couple of weeks to have something made up if it was needed, but it looks like I won’t need it.

When I switched to Dish from the local cable co back in 2005 the Company that installed it didn’t want to come until the day of the install and I had to pay them $100 to do a site survey a couple weeks before to make sure they could install the dish where I wanted.

This is a little long winded, but it is hard to explain in a couple words, but thank you all for the quick response.

Why the switch? Seems easier to stick with Dish and nothing compares to the Hopper 3.

I couldn't get a good deal out of them, and I think the joey's are really slow, the hopper is fast. DTV is supposed to be here this sunday to install, but I may call dish again and see if they will give a better deal. I would like to stay with them.

I couldn't get a good deal out of them, and I think the joey's are really slow, the hopper is fast. DTV is supposed to be here this sunday to install, but I may call dish again and see if they will give a better deal. I would like to stay with them.
If you don't have Joey 3's I would definitely ask for those instead of the older (Mediocre) models, with the Joey 4K being the exception. Maybe you can get a equipment upgrade and new contract if you call loyalty? I don't have the number written down but I've seen it thrown around the forum quite a bit lately.

I'm going to call them today, didn't know that have a "loyalty" department? If you can find that # let me know.

I'm going to call them today, didn't know that have a "loyalty" department? If you can find that # let me know.
Found it, here you go: Loyalty Dept. 888-496-1260. Would recommend waiting until business hours to get a US agent. Let them know you are considering changing companies this coming Sunday and let them know what your problems are (being only equipment or the bill), they will tell you what they have at the moment (I see a lot of posts saying that you can either get $20-30 off per month on a two year contract or $50 on a one year). Ideally, you can get a discount along with a Hopper 3 (If you don't have one already) and some 3.0 Joey's. At the very least push for a Hopper/Joey free upgrade, the 3's are sooo much better then the 1's 2's and Wifi (Based on the Joey 2.0) Joeys.

Yea, so I am going to stay with Dish, they gave me a decent price, it was on about $10 more than I was paying the last 2 years. Also they are giving me new joey 3's which I didn't even know they had, but now I do thanks to you you, so thank you.