Dish Network Q4

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Anybody see this they finally broke out sling vs dish :)

The company closed the fourth quarter with 13.242 million Pay-TV subscribers, including 11.030 million DISH TV subscribers and 2.212 million Sling TV subscribers. This compares to 13.671 million Pay-TV subscribers at the end of the year-ago period.

Glad to see sling has over 2 million subs.

DISH Network Corporation 10-K Feb. 21, 2018 6:24 AM | Seeking Alpha

Dish said it added about 700,000 Sling customers over the course of 2017, while its traditional satellite TV arm lost about 1.1 million subscribers over the same period.

With 1.1 million less satellite TV customers, is Dish happy with its marketing strategy? Do they really make much money on the Sling TV service?

Wasn't there some provision that kicked in once SlingTV hit 2 million subs? I only vaguely recall that being a thing, but I don't recall why.

Reactions: TheKrell
Wasn't there some provision that kicked in once SlingTV hit 2 million subs? I only vaguely recall that being a thing, but I don't recall why.
Something to do with ESPN if I recall correctly.

Reactions: ncted
If I am not mistaken, ESPN could pull out or renegotiate the contract once that number was reached, which probably has something to do with Dish suddenly splitting the numbers to disclose it.

...Wonder how many Directv Now subs compared to Sling tv subs?
"Sling TV was one of the first streaming TV bundles to launch, so its continued high ranking in regards to subscriber numbers makes sense. Following Sling TV remain services like DirecTV Now (1 million subscribers as of December 2017), PlayStation Vue (455,000 as of December 2017), Hulu with Live TV (450,000 as of January 2018), and YouTube TV (300,000 as of January 2018). Sling TV and PlayStation Vue launched in 2015, DirecTV Now launched in 2016, and Hulu with Live TV and YouTube TV each debuted in 2017."

Source -- Dish Reports Sling TV Has Grown to 2.2M Subscribers as of the End of 2017

Reactions: MikeD-C05
So Sling is #1, but D-now is gaining fast. I am a bit shocked that PS Vue is so far behind. People rave about it.

So Sling is #1, but D-now is gaining fast. I am a bit shocked that PS Vue is so far behind. People rave about it.
Ive seen a few reports that put it in the 6-700,000 range, but it is trailing.

I think it has alot to do with the name. Sony Vue would likely gain more subs, or Vue TV. People see Playstation there and think its a gaming add on, or specific to the PS itself.

As far as the service however, it and Youtube TV are IMO by far the best of the bunch.

Youtube as it expands to more cities will likely catch up with Sling and DNOW, they have the name, and they wait until they have at least most of the locals before they launch in a market.

Reactions: TheKrell
Basically, anyone can get into the OTT TV business, so there is little profit to be made from it. Companies like Google don't even care about making a profit, and Sony might use it just to make money on its Playstation franchise. Apple or Amazon could enter the competition tomorrow, and their cost of entry is minimal. It isn't like they have to launch a satellite or build out a new fibre optic network.

Ive seen a few reports that put it in the 6-700,000 range, but it is trailing.

I think it has alot to do with the name. Sony Vue would likely gain more subs, or Vue TV. People see Playstation there and think its a gaming add on, or specific to the PS itself.

As far as the service however, it and Youtube TV are IMO by far the best of the bunch.

Youtube as it expands to more cities will likely catch up with Sling and DNOW, they have the name, and they wait until they have at least most of the locals before they launch in a market.
I'm sure you are right about the names, etc.

I am an old fogey and did, indeed, think you needed a Playstation to do their service (and DirecTV to do theirs). And I don't know how valuable of a name YouTube is. My thought of a YouTube TV would be high definition cat videos and amatuer musicians.

I would love to see the churn on Sling subscribers.

It doesn’t really matter.

All this does is confirm they lost 2 million satellite customers !

They had 13.967 million back in 2011

Now they have 13.671 million, which includes 2 million along customers.

All this proves is that Dish is bleeding customers, and that makes me happy.

A Sling Tv customer is not a real satellite customer.

Reactions: trojan67
And yet, Dish raises prices each year. To keep costs down I have reduced packages the last few years. I am down to the 120 package now and still feel like I am paying too much. Guess soon i will have to start looking at all these other choices seriously.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts