Dish Network, QAM and DVRs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
My parents live in a condo that just dropped cable and went to a Dish Network system. He got 2 811 receivers and a 351 receiver. I called Dish to try to get him a DVR and was told that because this was a QAM system, they did not have any DVRs that are compatible with it.

What is QAM? Why can't a 622 or 942 work on this system? Are there any alternatives that will work?

Thanks for the response. I had already looked it up at Wikipedia. I was not sure what it means oiin conjunction with Dish Network. Does this mean that I don't need a dish receiver to view programs? The Dish guide is still availabale and it behaves exactly like the receivers I have in my house which go directly to a dish.

Is there another DVR that could be used in this system?

Thanks.

mrschwarz said:
Thanks for the response. I had already looked it up at Wikipedia. I was not sure what it means oiin conjunction with Dish Network. Does this mean that I don't need a dish receiver to view programs? The Dish guide is still availabale and it behaves exactly like the receivers I have in my house which go directly to a dish.

Is there another DVR that could be used in this system?

Thanks.

You could use a SA Tivo or a ReplayTV box

At CES this year, E* had a demo of an add-on QAM converter, that would enable non-QAM receivers to work on QAM headends. Unfortunately, they didn't say when it was coming out or how much, but the one thing I did see, is that if you had a dual-tuner receiver, you had to have 2 of these things, one for each tuner input. It also didn't say if this would work on ALL E* receivers, but they were demo'ing it on a 625.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)