Dish Network, QAM and DVRs

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
My parents live in a condo that just dropped cable and went to a Dish Network system. He got 2 811 receivers and a 351 receiver. I called Dish to try to get him a DVR and was told that because this was a QAM system, they did not have any DVRs that are compatible with it.

What is QAM? Why can't a 622 or 942 work on this system? Are there any alternatives that will work?

Thanks for the response. I had already looked it up at Wikipedia. I was not sure what it means oiin conjunction with Dish Network. Does this mean that I don't need a dish receiver to view programs? The Dish guide is still availabale and it behaves exactly like the receivers I have in my house which go directly to a dish.

Is there another DVR that could be used in this system?

Thanks.

mrschwarz said:
Thanks for the response. I had already looked it up at Wikipedia. I was not sure what it means oiin conjunction with Dish Network. Does this mean that I don't need a dish receiver to view programs? The Dish guide is still availabale and it behaves exactly like the receivers I have in my house which go directly to a dish.

Is there another DVR that could be used in this system?

Thanks.

You could use a SA Tivo or a ReplayTV box

At CES this year, E* had a demo of an add-on QAM converter, that would enable non-QAM receivers to work on QAM headends. Unfortunately, they didn't say when it was coming out or how much, but the one thing I did see, is that if you had a dual-tuner receiver, you had to have 2 of these things, one for each tuner input. It also didn't say if this would work on ALL E* receivers, but they were demo'ing it on a 625.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts