DISH NETWORK® ANNOUNCES EXPANSION OF LOCAL HD MARKETS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK® ANNOUNCES EXPANSION OF LOCAL HD MARKETS
Satellite Provider Now Offers HD Locals in 121 Markets Covering 87 Percent of U.S. Households

WHAT: DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), the digital television leader, today announced the addition of high definition local channels in four new markets.

WHERE: Fargo-Valley City, N.D.; Odessa-Midland, Texas; Palm Springs, Ca.; and Terre Haute, Ind.

WHEN: HD local channels became available to new and existing DISH Network® subscribers at approximately 5 p.m. ET on March 25, 2009.

HOW: DISH Network customers with an HD receiver and who subscribe to HD programming and HD locals will now receive high definition feeds of their broadcasts at no additional charge. For more information about DISH Network’s HD offerings, please visit www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

So when is Dish going to offer PBS in HD?

My guess is that it is pretty low on their priority. It seems they are focusing on getting lots more HD local markets out there first. On top of that, they aren't adding all of the 4 majors to every market, so I would think they would do that before they ever get into PBS HD. Or maybe they should focus on full-time HD RSN's first!

Wow, I was just about to come in here and ask the same question. I was so excited that DirecTV turned on PBS in HD in Philadelphia, because I misread the headline and thought it was Dish. Between that and the GolTV fiasco, my days of vehemently defending E* may be numbered.

But I'm still going to hold out hope and not jump right away.

Wow, I was just about to come in here and ask the same question. I was so excited that DirecTV turned on PBS in HD in Philadelphia, because I misread the headline and thought it was Dish. Between that and the GolTV fiasco, my days of vehemently defending E* may be numbered.

But I'm still going to hold out hope and not jump right away.
Getting our local PBS in HD would be at the top of my 'wish' list as well. Usually we get it OK in OTA, but sometimes we do lose the signal. I wrote Dish and got a canned answer back - basically 'We would like to add that channel, to make viewers like you happy, but we do not know if or when this will happen'. Are there any HD PBS locals turned on for any DMAs?

Also excited here for promise of Sioux City HD locals by April 1. Unless there is an earlier uplink I don't think it's going to happen before then.:confused:

That question has been answered dozens of times, and I am sure you have seen the answer before.

Dish Network and DirecTV are required by the FCC to provide all local HD channels in any market in which they provide HD channels, by February 2013.

Between now and then, there are required targets of a certain percentage each February.

So, over the next 4 years, Dish will add more local PBS channels, but no particular PBS channel is predictable as to when it will be added (other than it will be added by Feb 2013).