Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK® LAUNCHES FANDANGO iTV APPLICATION ON SET-TOP BOXES

Customers Can Now Order Movie Tickets from the Comfort of Their Couches

Englewood, Colo. – March 16, 2009 – DISH Network® just made buying movie tickets a lot easier. Now, customers of the digital satellite television service who tune into DISH Network Ch. 100 will find an interactive Fandango application, which allows them to purchase movie tickets using their DISH Network remote control.

The new Fandango application, powered by OpenTV middleware, automatically uses customers’ zip codes to search for nearby theater listings and show times. Subscribers with phone lines connected to their set-top boxes can use their DISH Network remote control and credit card to purchase tickets at Fandango-enabled theaters through a secure connection.

To redeem tickets, customers present their credit card at the movie theater as proof of purchase. No confirmation code is required. DISH Network subscribers can also search theater listings and show times outside of their set-top box zip code.

“Once again, DISH Network is leading the pack in interactivity through our award-winning set-top boxes, and with the addition of applications like Fandango, we are creating new value for our subscribers,” said Michael Kelly, executive vice president for DISH Network. “Remote movie ticket purchasing via the set-top box is only the first step. In the future, we envision banner ads for upcoming titles, movie trailers and more for our interactive advertising clients.”

“Partnering with DISH Network is a great opportunity for Fandango to extend our ticketing service to a new platform and to continue to provide consumers with even faster and more convenient ways to escape to the movies,” Ted Hong, chief marketing officer for Fandango, said.

“We are very excited to be powering DISH Network’s set-top box based movie ticket purchasing application for DISH Network and Fandango,” said Tracy Geist, OpenTV’s senior vice president of Market Development. “This application further demonstrates the robustness of our middleware and the advanced capabilities it can offer in launching innovative and value-added interactive services.”

DISH Network’s iTV service features more than 30 interactive channels, DishGAMES, DishHOME Ch. 100’s six-channel mosaic and a variety of games and other features. There are more than 20 million iTV enabled DISH Network set-top boxes in the U.S.

There we go... Don't stay home and watch a movie on Dish Network PPV, go to the movies instead.

Another amazing idea from Dish... (NOT) :)

Does this strike anybody else as idiotic? Last time I went to the movies, it took me all of 45 seconds to buy my ticket. I mean, even if you order from home, you still have to wait in line at the counter, show them your credit card, and get your tickets. Only difference is, they'll know you're a douche-bag who sits on their couch ordering movie tickets. In reality, it'll probably take longer to explain to the kid behind the counter that you ordered your tickets through your TV than it would to just buy the tickets the "old fashioned" way.

I would imaging that Dish would get some sort of kick back ... if people are going to go out anyway ... Dish may as well make some money on the outing ...

Why does this company waste so much effort on things not related to delivering hi quality TV to me? Does uncle charlie reward this type of stupidity?

If a theater has online ticket ordering, I'm going to do it through their own website. Dish's applications are way too crashy for me to risk money on.

I would imaging that Dish would get some sort of kick back ... if people are going to go out anyway ... Dish may as well make some money on the outing ...
Was going to say the same thing.
(Intelligent) Corporations don't do things like this without answering the most important question in all of sales first, "What's In It For Me?" Either that, or next time you hit the fandango website, you will be attacked with TurboHD ads while waiting for your sale to process.

I like the feature.
I buy from fandango to make sure I can get a ticket and I do not have to stand in line to pick up my tickets. All you have to do is go to the machine and swipe your credit card. To me it is worth the extra amount charged. I can not tell you how many times in the past I went to the theater and stood in a 20 minute line only to tell me the movie was sold out. It also affords me the time to get to the theater and get a better seat.

Glad to know that I am not the only one that thinks if Dish spent anything on this that it was an utter waste of money. Does anyone even go to the movies anymore? I have HD surround sound with 1080P Real Blu-Ray quality, plus all the beer I can drink, why would I want to go to a theater and pay $100/ticket?

Wow... lots of Negative Nellies on here. Another feature was added that can save some time or make the service more interesting and it turns into a bitchfest. What an awesome group this site is becoming.

I would love to use the Papa Johns feature, but unfortunately all the Papa John locations around here closed about 2 years ago.

How about.... Dish Interactive Receivers with the ability to REMOTE SCHEDULE? I remember testing it MOONS ago for them, the website when up (too early) and then shut down the registration part and still has that fantastic "coming soon" banner for the remote scheduling... better wake up and start following through with some of these promises dish or you're going to lose even more subs over this year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts