Dish Network® Outlines Upcoming Hd Launch Schedule

Nice to hear the well wishes from ScoBuck for DISH. I feel the same way.. though I will stay with DISH, I do wish Direct the best too with their HD efforts. You can truly see now what competition does for both services. I don't want either of them to slow down.

What advantage does a DirecTV sub get when the competition stubs its toe?

NONE as I see it.

It annoys me a ton that some of these markets being launched are in the middle of nowhere with pops of 30,000. I know Buffalo DMA has shrunk a ton, but many of these markets are considerably smaller.

Norfolk, VA
Burlington, VT
Beaumont, TX

Seriously?

It annoys me a ton that some of these markets being launched are in the middle of nowhere with pops of 30,000. I know Buffalo DMA has shrunk a ton, but many of these markets are considerably smaller.

Probably has to do with:
1) Retrans Consent
2) SpotBeams
3) getting fiber to the uplink.

What happened to Mobile/Pensacola, which was announced in January. Now it is not even on the list. PLus this is they most vague announcement that Dish has ever issued. They were vague enough, but ended the announcement with a disclaimer.

Its probably just that Charlie and the Boys, thought we had already had hd here, like they promised us in 2006:eek:

D* with AAA discount and their normal national offerings are looking better and better after my CI expires.:mad:

PLus this is they most vague announcement that Dish has ever issued. They were vague enough, but ended the announcement with a disclaimer.
I believe the announcement was because of all the negative press they have received. Look at the WSJ article, which made it sound like the satellite was dead and now Dish Network was on its death bed.

This press release was basically what I said on Sunday Nights podcast, that Dish can move ahead with its HD plans with or without AMC-14. :)

Its probably just that Charlie and the Boys, thought we had already had hd here, like they promised us in 2006:eek:

D* with AAA discount and their normal national offerings are looking better and better after my CI expires.:mad:

I going to beleive, espcially with the LIN deal, that Buffalo locals are coming... soon (mid-late 2008). I dont quite know how, since there's no 6.15 spot, but hopefully on 119.

Upcoming national HD announcements may include the addition of ABC Family HD, AMC HD, BET HD, The Biography Channel HD, Bravo HD, Cartoon Network HD, CMT HD, CNN HD, Disney Channel HD, ESPN News HD, HBO2 HD, IFC HD, MGM HD, MoreMAX HD, MTV HD, Nickelodeon HD, Sci-Fi HD, Smithsonian Channel HD, Starz Edge HD, Tennis Channel HD, Superstation WGN HD, The Weather Channel HD, Toon Disney HD, USA Network HD and VH-1 HD.
What??? No Lifetime Movie Network HD!!!:rolleyes:

Norfolk, VA
Burlington, VT
Beaumont, TX

Seriously?

I live in Norfolk's DMA, trust me, these are not easy to recieve OTA... I cannot recieve them OTA from my location. Drive 1hr to the south & you're sittin pretty. You look @ where Nofolk is compared to me, I'm over 100 miles away....

you need to go back through Scotts statements, He put that they cant announce those channels as coming without a proper press release. If they have that list there you can be assured they are signed or are VERY close.

Note they put out a press release. And Scott included the vague wording.

I'm just happy that Milwaukee is on the list for April...our CBS affiliate (WDJT) is not available on DirecTV in HD (contract issues I think), will that affect whether or not it is available on dish?

I'm just happy that Milwaukee is on the list for April...our CBS affiliate (WDJT) is not available on DirecTV in HD (contract issues I think), will that affect whether or not it is available on dish?

If it's a LIN affiliate, it should be on Dish :)

(Used to be that LIN was a guaranteed no, but that changed last week, for the better).

Initially I thought that this is a good news, but now looking at all the negative publicity that is out there (WSJ, Motley Fool etc.) I am convinced that the press release is all about wall street's concerns and not really about the subscribers.

I'd say watch the uplink center here for the next 3-4 weeks, and then make up your mind if it was good or bad.

Based on what I'm seeing, it's all good news, and all will be fine.

Norfolk, VA
Burlington, VT
Beaumont, TX

Seriously?

Bad statement.... I live 75 to 80 miles away from my locals. So, if one is saying Tulsa locals, it doesnt just include Tulsa! It is all of us surrounding rual folks that can't pick ours up from the OTA.

I am glad to learn Memphis was at least on a list. I get my locals OTA also but am subject to frequent signal loss under certain weather related conditions. I will be glad when Dish adds HD locals. Wonder if Memphis being on a list once is an indication we will get HD locals in the near future?

I figure we got knocked off because of AMC14 delay in getting to orbit. And/Or they are going to use our spot beam for LIN stations, which would get them into a market D* doesn't have. OR they are going to use the bandwidth for national-hd. Hopefully they'll get us in a few months.

Norfolk, VA
Burlington, VT
Beaumont, TX

Seriously?

Norfolk, VA are you serious? According to the 2006/2007 DMA rankings, Norfolk was 42nd while Buffalo was 49th.

Two more satellites ready to go that MAY get to the proper orbit. :rolleyes: chickens counted, eggs not yet hatched.

More spin control and another year of being behind that other company. If D* is smart they'd be offering the moon for new subs. Maybe they are already and it'd be worth checking out.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)