DISH NETWORK® UNVEILS BIGGEST HIGH DEFINITION UPGRADE IN TV HISTORY

Short term this 1080P announcement will not mean much for the regular cable channels right? As far as I know none of them are pushing 1080P signals.

The PPV movies are a diffrent story, not that it matters for me I've bought 2 PPV in 6 years w/ DiSH.

It does give a way to get a marketing bragging point vs. D*, but it will be confusing to new customers who think they are getting 1080p on ALL channels, not just the PPV ones....

Seems as though the marketing point will be short lived, if there really is much of one to begin with. D* announced earlier this week that it was going to be doing the same thing.

It does give a way to get a marketing bragging point vs. D*

Who already announced the same thing a few days ago. It makes sense for (both of) them to do it with PPV titles, because it saves bandwidth, removes any concerns of incorrect reverse telecine results, and gives them a nice buzzword that people will equate to a higher end product. But you can't really expect them to provide it on other content that isn't fed to them in 1080p. Besides, IF all the hardware does it's job correctly, the customer doesn't benefit from 1080p anyway as long as the hardware is capable of providing a correct 24p output via reverse telecine.

What I see happening is another option for display output. Currently we have what ... 480i, 720P, 1080i? (Is there a 480P option? - can't remember).

Basically then I just envision another option added to that - 1080P. There, when you setup your TV you would see:

1080P
1080i
720P
480i

Therefore, the satellite receiver, if set to 1080P, will always output 1080P. If a channel is only sending 480i, for example, the receiver will just upconvert to 1080P.

Just like what those "upconverting" DVD players do now.

Obviously for native 1080P programming, no upconverting would be done.

At least this is my hope.

It would be a bummer if you only got the 1080P option for PPV only. I much prefer "P" content over "i".

This 1080p stuff is really great, and hats off to Dish for getting it out first, but with that said, where in the **** is FX and SPEEDHD, GreenHD you've got to be kidding! I'm starting to pull my damn hair out, son of a *****! What the ****. Ah ok, feel better! No one has mention the VIP612 it's a dvr and mpeg4, hello! I'm sure it's included in this turbo charging!

... No one has mention the VIP612 it's a dvr and mpeg4, hello! I'm sure it's included in this turbo charging!

Now you have mentioned it, they shall be:) I don't see why not.

The point about the 1080p PPVs not useful for those already have bluray collection and equipment, of course this news release is not for you guys, but for PPV subs.

If the 1080p HDPPV goes well, it will have a major impact on the bluray market. I am hoping Scott can give us some feedback on the 24-hr limitation thing, will the 1080p movies be able to be off loaded to the EHD and played back later even with a fee? This is the only way to compete with bluray.

Even on a 720p display, 1080p will look better because more actual pixel data is available to scale with and no de-interlacing is being done. Fear not 720p owners, you will see an improvement!

This is definitely NOT a given. There is more to a good picture than higher resolution...

Given the same bandwidth, most people will notice no difference and some may actually see a picture that is worse (due to scaling issues).

Most 'experts' argue that we don't NEED 1080p (or 1080i) because most of us sit far enough back from our tv's that we are not going to notice the difference. Obviously there are situations in which this is not true but for most people it probably is true.

At the SatelliteGuys meeting with Charlie in May, Charlie explained how they were going to do this...

Channels 501 - 510 will have movies listed with no start times. Clicking on them you will be able to order them and then they will start playing immediately as they are stored on your hard drive. :) This will give you VOD on all the hit PPV movies. :) The neat part is in the guide they will look like PPV channels. :)

Since you accept this method of counting channels, how many does DirecTV have when you include their version of this (HD Movies Now) which has been available for months?

Since you accept this method of counting channels, how many does DirecTV have ...

One Billion channels!!!

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

I just have 1 question. Where are they getting the bandwidth to do this? I have read a lot of complaints about the PQ going south already.

maybe they're adding 50 hd channels and at midnight that same day they'll remove 35 channels :D

Any news on new HD channels to replace the Puerto Rico HD Pak. Although we get the signal here, Dish is blocking all the channels, except for TNT, HDTHR, ESPN, and TNT. I am reallly starting to think on leaving Dish. The cable system here is offering more HD channels than Dish is.

AdamGott said:
This is definitely NOT a given. There is more to a good picture than higher resolution...

Given the same bandwidth, most people will notice no difference and some may actually see a picture that is worse (due to scaling issues).

Most 'experts' argue that we don't NEED 1080p (or 1080i) because most of us sit far enough back from our tv's that we are not going to notice the difference. Obviously there are situations in which this is not true but for most people it probably is true.

You are making an assumption on the bandwidth and quoting unknown experts.

I have seen 1080p on my 720p HT PJ and it most definitely looks noticeably better than 720p.

So let me change my statement FOR YOU - it will look much better on MY equipment - ymmv depending on how bad your stuff sucks.

Do these "experts" work for Best Buy?

Dish stop being a lier lier pants on fire you only have 50 at the most HD national channels. To count part time RSN as HD is a JOKE!!!! and when those RSN have HD it is Blocked out--Charlie you will be called on this making dish look foolish.

The good news is 1080P--I just hope the update goes smoothly and our receivers will work.(remeber how some updates make things worse)

Lastly Charlie get your MOJO on. Without MOJO Dr Evil wins.

My HDTV outputs 720p and 1080i so which setting would render the best PQ.....or is it really the PQ is in the eye of the beholder ?
The size of the TV and how far the beholder's eye is sitting from it.:)

You are making an assumption on the bandwidth and quoting unknown experts.

I have seen 1080p on my 720p HT PJ and it most definitely looks noticeably better than 720p.

So let me change my statement FOR YOU - it will look much better on MY equipment - ymmv depending on how bad your stuff sucks.

Do these "experts" work for Best Buy?

I agree. The bigger the screen, the bigger the pixels. The smaller you make the pixels, the better PQ gets in general. So, while the differences between 720p vs. 1080i (or P) might not be real noticeable on a 30 in. screen at 6-7 feet, that become a great deal more pronounced on a larger screen.

So, 1080p might not cause everyone to jump for joy as it will not make a noticeable difference in perceived resolution to some, it will matter for others depending on their equipment.

I can say with certainly that if I play a Blu-Ray back through my TV at 1080p and then play the same version of the same film on regular DVD through an upconverting DVD player on the same 42in. set at 720p, there will indeed be a noticeable difference in PQ. If I did the same on the smaller 20 something inch set in my bedroom, you would not be able to tell any distinguishable difference in PQ at the same distance between the two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)