Dish Network Reactivation

llama

Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I've seen this talked about a few times, but I just wanted to clarify some things first...

I outright cancelled my Dish subscription a few months ago to switch to Comcast Cable. What tricks can I pull to get on as a new customer with some of the promotions they are running?

I've read I can do the different name thing, but do I have to give them a different phone number as well?

Thanks in advance!

llama said:
I've seen this talked about a few times, but I just wanted to clarify some things first...

I outright cancelled my Dish subscription a few months ago to switch to Comcast Cable. What tricks can I pull to get on as a new customer with some of the promotions they are running?

I've read I can do the different name thing, but do I have to give them a different phone number as well?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on if the SS# is on file...if it is...you're SOL

You can have your wife sign up, but if its the same address or phone number you don't qualify. If you didn't give them your SS# (if you were a customer for a while), you might be able to pull it off with just a different phone number.

Reactivation

I argued with them on the phone (actually had to call in a few different times to find one who would even listen).

I told him #1 that they didn't loose anything on me the first time around because I won the equipment at my local county fair one year way back and that #2 DirectTV would consider me a new customer.

I would never have actually gone with DirectTV tho because of the way they are suing people just because they EVER bought a smart card programmer from businesses that they raided.

They ended up approving me for the DHA package and I got a 522.

Getut

llama said:
... What tricks can I pull to get on as a new customer with some of the promotions they are running?...

Um, you're not a new customer. Why would you lie and try to cheat your way into something you don't qualify for?

Amazing ....

AcuraCL said:
Um, you're not a new customer. Why would you lie and try to cheat your way into something you don't qualify for?

It is not always lying and cheating. Arbitrary rules are meant to be negotiated. If they want a customer back, sometimes they must give a little.

Getut

Thanks for the input!

Correct, I'm not a new customer. But I'm not a current customer either. If you were a company, wouldn't you try to offer incentives for this person to return? If you were a smart consumer, wouldn't you do what you can to get the best possiable deal?

llama said:

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about DISH but with D* you can use your wifes maiden name and a cell phone number and it will go through.
You might try that with E*

llama said:
... If you were a company, wouldn't you try to offer incentives for this person to return? ...

Gosh, I bet that never occurred to them. What a huge brain fart on their part. Never considered offering "new customer" offers to existing customers ....

llama said:
... If you were a smart consumer, wouldn't you do what you can to get the best possiable deal?

I AM a smart consumer. And an honorable one.

AcuraCL said:
Gosh, I bet that never occurred to them. What a huge brain fart on their part. Never considered offering "new customer" offers to existing customers ....

I AM a smart consumer. And an honorable one.

Oh geez, now I have to step up :)

First off, I'm not an existing customer. I would define that as someone who currently has an obligation to Dish financially. At one point I did, but not anymore. True, that this is a moot point to discuss how Dish does business, but I just though I'd point out my thoughts.

Also, good for you being an honorable consumer <hands you a gold star>. If we had more folks like you, there would be no room for competitiveness in today's market :p

telecaster said:
Not sure about DISH but with D* you can use your wifes maiden name and a cell phone number and it will go through.
You might try that with E*

Thanks for your constructiove pointers. I may give that a try. I also never remembered giving them my SS# when I did have an account. I think I first signed up like 5 years or so ago...

Thanks!

llama said:
Oh geez, now I have to step up :)

First off, I'm not an existing customer. I would define that as someone who currently has an obligation to Dish financially. ...

But you see, you don't get to define what a new customer is. Dish does, in their Terms of Service.

It would be loverly if customers got to define the terms of service, but gee, then the companies would all go out of business.

I have no illusion that I could make a dent in your lack of conscience. But you want to go public about trying to cheat a company, don't expect backslaps all around.

AcuraCL, thanks for your comments. Even though I'm probably not going to able to sleep well tonight, god willing, I'll try!

Thanks everyone else for your constructive comments and you help clearing up this issue. Best thing to do it give it a try, see what happens.

Hey, its the company's fault for having so many "promos". If you are smart enough to get one, more power to the consumer :) This works for cell phones, cable, satellite, pretty much any service.

Example: Comcast charges my friend $70 for internet, analog, digital + 3 movie packs. You cant come close to that normally. So I call them up, explain I heard they have this deal.. "Oh.. we dont normally give that out". Ha! So I ask to talk to the supervisor. A few mins later, she comes back, "my supervisor said it was okay to give you the package". If you think it's immoral to save a few bucks by negotiating, you're crazy, or just have bling bling fallin out your rear end :yes

I would tell the CSR that you've considered coming back to dish, and have been looking at directv as well. Mention some of the D* promos, what'd you like out of dish, blah blah. Might work.

Hi Guys!
Lying is no longer an offense that's how George W Bush made it to the white house and through the national guard and nobody has given him any crap Sorry just my two cents

thiggin2 said:
Well I think as long as you don't lie to them: give them your spouse name, a cell phone number..... whats wrong with that?
Nothing is wrong with that. She would be a new customer.

OTOH, I believe Dish now offersthe DHA plan to previous customers wishing to return, the same as new customers, without that bullsh*t $25 reconnect fee.

I was offered that, but chose to sign up in the wife's name as a new customer. In retrospect, I should have taken the DHA offer. No programming commitment. That's the ticket!

What branch of the military did you serve in?

I am a Vietnam era veteran with 11 years active duty I take offence at insinuations that someone that did a tour in the National Guard did anything wrong. I go to a lot of veterans forums and by far most veterans feel the same.

Now Clinton dodged the draft altogether and fled to England, so that's an example of a draft dodger. By the way, I voted for Clinton and I'm not a Republican. Just sickened by statements from people that probably don't have the guts to serve against a veteran of ANY branch of the service. I have voted for pretty much as many democrats as republicans (and an independent) since Carter, but statements like this from the left have just about ensured I will never vote Democrat again, just republican or libertarian. They are having that effect on lots of veterans.

I don't care how many people hate bush, I'm not a big bush fan, but I am a fan of anyone that served honerably in any branch of the service, period. Making a statement that somehow makes people that served in the national guard somehow less than anyone else gets my hackles up.

One of these days you will learn that all politicians lie. That's what they do. Does that make it acceptable? No, but show me one that doesn't. Bush Sr. was a liar, Clinton was a liar, Bush Jr. is a liar, Kerry is a liar, when their lips are moving they can't be trusted

Just my two cents.

Sorry to everyone else for the rant.

guarionex said:
Hi Guys!
Lying is no longer an offense that's how George W Bush made it to the white house and through the national guard and nobody has given him any crap Sorry just my two cents

Now for the topic. I cut my dish service a few months ago and switched to Direct tv. I switched back to dish a week ago and they right away offered me the 522 with 322, 49.99 down that was applied to my first bill (just got it), no connection fee, no contract, 5.00 for dvr which is what I was paying at direct, 5.00 for the 322 to feed 2 rooms where I was paying 5.00 each for the 2 rooms. So that's pretty much what they seem to be offering everyone to come back.

Let's keep the politics out of the tech & DBS business threads, OK?
Personally, I love the stuff - but let's keep it where it belongs.

AcuraCL - get a clue. It seems like E* already has. For a while, getting a "comeback" deal was just whether you won at CSR roulette - and if you didn't, you came up with a way to be new customer if you could. Now it looks like they finally figured out that you shouldn't charge someone extra to start giving you money again. Like, duh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)