Dish Network Ready TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Dish had one in the making years ago that would work with the 922 receiver. This was the start of what would eventually become the Hopper system.

Dish doesn't stick with anything, do they? Everything gets orphaned very quickly...

I think that's pretty normal for a technology company. The problem with Dish is that they like to show it to the public before they know they can release it. They usually do say they are just concepts though. Most of these are shown at Team Summit at the trade show. I remember when they had a feature for the DVR that had a 1.5x speed which allowed the viewer to watch a show faster yet it was such a slight difference that it was hard to notice. They also had a DVR feature where you could flag certain spots of a show and you could quickly skip to them.

Lots of cool ideas and some strange ideas that were just concepts and never made it to the public.

Reactions: TheKrell
It looks to me like a Fire or other smart TV with the Dish Anywhere app installed would do pretty much the same thing on a Hopper w/Sling or Hopper 3 setup.

Seems every cutting edge tech company trades longterm for short when keeping the newest/latest innovations on the front line.
Product/feature lifecycles become shorter by default.

Reactions: Scherrman
Once upon a time RCA built a HD TV set for DISH, it was a total flop. DISH had no idea how to market it or support it.
Why would RCA, a partner in the initial DSS system with DirecTV, market a product with one of the competing systems? Maybe you were thinking of the RCA F38310: RCA F38310 38-Inch CRT HDTV which featured a built-in DirecTV HD Receiver in addition to its ATSC tuner, a rarity at the turn of the century.

Edit: Okay, my apologies. I forgot about the LCD TV that Dish marketed in 2005 bundled with the 811 HD receivers. They sold 30" or 40" LCD HDTVs bundled with the 811 for $1,599 for the 30" and $3,999 for the 40" set. DISH Network Unveils Low-Cost, Thin-Panel LCD High-Definition TVs; Complete HDTV System Offers 30-inch LCD TV, HD Satellite Receiver, Delivery and Installation for Less than $1,600 | About DISH

Wow, can you imagine paying $4K for a 40" LCD? Now, $500 buys you a 4K 55" set which would blow the chips out of Dish's old offering. Ah, progress...

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
Simple, Dish doesn't support RVU. It's RVU compatibility with DTV's RVU in lieu of a client box that Triggers "DirecTV compatible" label. They still pay the monthly fee regardless of RVU vs. client.

Why would RCA, a partner in the initial DSS system with DirecTV, market a product with one of the competing systems? Maybe you were thinking of the RCA F38310: RCA F38310 38-Inch CRT HDTV which featured a built-in DirecTV HD Receiver in addition to its ATSC tuner, a rarity at the turn of the century.

Edit: Okay, my apologies. I forgot about the LCD TV that Dish marketed in 2005 bundled with the 811 HD receivers. They sold 30" or 40" LCD HDTVs bundled with the 811 for $1,599 for the 30" and $3,999 for the 40" set. DISH Network Unveils Low-Cost, Thin-Panel LCD High-Definition TVs; Complete HDTV System Offers 30-inch LCD TV, HD Satellite Receiver, Delivery and Installation for Less than $1,600 | About DISH

Wow, can you imagine paying $4K for a 40" LCD? Now, $500 buys you a 4K 55" set which would blow the chips out of Dish's old offering. Ah, progress...

I still remember selling refurb Sylvania 26" LCD 720p HDTVs for $799. They were one of our best sellers as they were the least expensive TV around.

After looking around the linked site I saw dish had a 1000.5 dish. Wonder what made them stick with 1000.4 instead even though there for the same thing.

EKB: Dish1000

Off topic of the thread. But an answer is being used for the same thing and being the same are not saying the same thing. One was made for use on the EA and has a smaller profile the other is remade to work on the EA and is larger in size.

Yep, that was my second Dish receiver. I still have a bunch of D-VHS tapes that I have no way of watching. A Cautionary Tale of digital format abandonment. Mostly "Babylon 5", "ST: TNG", "ST: Voyager", and "ST: DS9" recordings on WBSK from the late 1990s. Of course, I bought most of these shows on DVD so the D-VHS tapes are just taking up space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts