DISH Network Reports Fourth Quarter and Year End 2010 Financial Results

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hemi 6.1 - That's not my quote. I was referencing another poster's quote. I can't confirm or deny the accuracy. I'm sure in his experience that is what happens.

Dish Network with the 4 room setup I have right now puts them at the TOP of the High end of the industry.
Dish is the most expensive option currently in my area for my 4 room system.

So to claim that dish is at the lower side of the Industry is by not at all true.

Before I believe you, I would need to know exactly what you have and are paying compared to what you would have and would pay with Dish. I've seen people post similar before, only to find out it was comparing apple to oranges, and often they were on a limited time promotion.... Like my cousin saying he pays so much less for Charter. Ya, sure, he has one DVR that records one channel,and one non DVR. I have two DVR's that can record up to three channels at a time, incorporates my OTA locals, and more programming......yet pay very slightly more, in fact with his recent increase, I may now pay a little less or virtually the same.

Last edited:
Exactly who are these competitors with lower prices? Yes, within a very few dollars you can find a particular set of channels that could be less, but overall Dish prices are certainly not high end in the industry. But to answer your better question, yes, that may well be happening, further supporting my post. But not in the way you are portraying.
If someone leaves because of pricing, chances are very high it is based on a promotion for new customers. When that promotion ends, it is almost certain they will pay as much or more than they did with Dish. My point is, Dish has decided not to try to compete with temporary promotions because those customer are likely costing that company money. Dish does promotions for new subscribers, but may have decided they can't keep doing that for the same subscriber over and over, thus time to shed them if that's what the customer wants.

Comcast and DirectTV around here........pretty easy to find anywhere across the country.

AND yes, promo jumpers DO count. They are churn, just like any other subscriber.

And if you don't think Dish is competing with temporary promotions, then you must not get mail or see ads on the internet, or watch TV for that matter. DISH has promos, too.

Last edited:
"This part is fact. DTV has a lower credit criteria than Dish. Dish only approves around 40% of new customers ran. Most retailers are "dual" or sell both. These retailers will take their 6 out of 10 turn downs from dish, run them through DTV, and get 4-5 of those to approve."

Fits right in with Dish not going after subscribers, rather going after profitable subscribers...

DirecTV credit score needed - 600, to not need a deposit and get all the good stuff free. You telling me that Dish requires a higher score than that??? I doubt it.

But all these folks saying how things should be done by D* or E* can certainly do better than the current management, right ? Maybe these two companies might start making a profit...

Its easy to make suggestions with 20/20 hind site..we need to find some people who can see in to the future

Before I believe you, I would need to know exactly what you have and are paying compared to what you would have and would pay with Dish. I've seen people post similar before, only to find out it was comparing apple to oranges, and often they were on a limited time promotion.... Like my cousin saying he pays so much less for Charter. Ya, sure, he has one DVR that records one channel,and one non DVR. I have two DVR's that can record up to three channels at a time, incorporates my OTA locals, and more programming......yet pay very slightly more, in fact with his recent increase, I may now pay a little less or virtually the same.

Well first off, I've had dish for 3 years, 2 of them were side by side with D*.

My current setup, would be
4 HD DVRs, Top 250, Cinemax, Starz/Encore, HD platinum , Protection plan

I don't do Auto pay, I 'd rather pay $10 per month then let D* or E* take out their own money.
Dish
Top 250 $69.99
HD platinum $20
Free Starz, Cinemax $13
DVR and 4 VIP 612 $36
Protection Plan $6
$142.99

Directv
Choice Extra $65.99
HD/HD Extra $14.99
DVR/4 rooms HR's $25
Starz/Encore,Cinemax $24
Protection plan $5.99
$135.97

Directv
Choice Ultimate $70.99
HD/HDExtra $14.99
DVR/4 Rooms $25
Starz Encore,Cinemax $24
Protection plan $5.99
$140.97

Now Add $54.99 for Verizon 3 MBPS DSL, and $34.99 for Vonage Unlimited Phone to the Satellite Providers.

Total!
For Dish $232.97
For Directv $225.95-$230.95

Blue Ridge Cable

HD Digital HD Plus $83.89
4 Rooms HD DVR $38.96
Starz/Encore Cinemax $24.50
$147.34
10Mbps Internet and Unlimited Phone Bundle
$55.95

$203.29

So there you have it,
D* beats dish by far. And with Bundle packs, MY cable company beats all!

Last edited:
That's really funny!!

Refuse to reduce your bill by $20 because YOU chose to not do autopay and then use that excuse to show how D* and others are cheaper. You've made my day!! :)

There is some real rationalization going on!

I use autopay and do it with a very low limit credit card that is for doing just that with other things I use auto-pay for.

if dish would have let the old pricing of boxes at 7 for HD or 7 for hd/dvr plugged in to phone or net they could have saved many customers as the discounts ended in Q4 along with my years of service through them and many others i know.

Trying to get your customers to understand its only $7 for every tv after the first 1 or two if on a dual is a hard sell. Dvr fee is for the whole account but an extra dvr is $10 or $17 a month no $7 or $14 the math is way off and all we can say is its a whatever we make it fee for extra dvr.

Spin the same thing to customers with diretv pricing and can be fully understood.

Another thing that is funny like the extra pricing is the grandfathering or what dish thinks it is. Say customer has hind and a urdu add on and dish gives him a free channel when the free channel comes off the urdu will also as a change has been made to the account now they must buy larger pkg just to get that one channel back. im sure we will be seeing this one come up big around this time next year when the free stars/show/plat come off the accounts. Things like this are put a bad taste in in peoples mouth.

Our direct has been off the chart will a full flip to the other side even with dish one could save with only needing 1 hd tv and one sd tv but some will not qualify with dish and will with direct.

I do miss some things from dish now that i have direct but the extra money saved is well worth it. Would i come back mabe if the could live up to the hype they have the best of the best for a lower price.

That's really funny!!

Refuse to reduce your bill by $20 because YOU chose to not do autopay and then use that excuse to show how D* and others are cheaper. You've made my day!! :)

Incase you didn't know. Directv also offer a $10 Free HD credit.
And its $10 Not $20.

So if you want if it makes you feel better Drop $10 off D* and E* for your Auto pay, and see if that makes any difference what so ever.

Still will be the same difference!

Starting with the comparison to Cable for both Dish and Direct. You can't make that kind of comparison, it's just not valid since Dish and Direct don't really have that kind of bundling. You need to be able to compare what Dish and Direct sell the bundle for compared to what Cable does. And where did Phone or Internet come into my post?
If you want to go down that road though, Dish or Direct for me would beat Cable hands down. I pay $24 for ATT DSL, 3mps, not a promo price. I pay $15 for Voice Pulse, free calling for the whole state, 200 min long distance, not a promo price. If you add what I pay for those two things ($39) to my Dish or Direct, they win easily... your example just doesn't work.
And to make it even worse, to be fair, take $10 off the cost of either Sat provider when comparing to the Cable because if you did auto pay you could save that. It's not fair to just ignore an offered ongoing savings.

As for Dish and Direct, problem is, the TOP 250 has more than the Ultimate choice. It has the Encore movies and appears to me to have over 60 HD channels VS 50 for Direct TV. I am not counting locals HD for Dish, not sure if the 50 HD channels includes locals for Direct. So I would have to say Direct and Dish are neck and neck in price when you consider what you are getting. In my post I stated within a few dollars either way.... I still see either Sat provider less than Cable in general.

Also, something else to consider, if you want something like EuroNews, especially with what has been going on recently, does Cable offer that? (It does not on the Charter or Verizon where I am) Or the Superstations? I understand not everyone is interested in those, but some certainly are and being able to get them makes that provider more appealing. Just as Direct having the NFL or MLB might be more appealing to some.

But just sticking to price, it seems to me Dish is not on the high end at all, and is comparable to Direct in your example. There are some packages where Dish is definitely less, and some configurations where Direct can be a little less. Both generally less than Cable.

Last edited:
Dish is losing customers because those people can't afford it. Those deadbeats are the ones causing the high fees for us who pay on time and low profits for Dish. Charlie may have to go on welfare soon. Bring back the good old days of Dish Network when having it was a real status symbol. Now you see Dish in trailer parks and in the barrios and ghettos. What's up with that? Raise our fees now, Charlie to coincide with gas prices. I don't mind spending my kids' inheritance on Dish. :rolleyes:

Starting with the comparison to Cable for both Dish and Direct. You can't make that kind of comparison, it's just not valid since Dish and Direct don't really have that kind of bundling. You need to be able to compare what Dish and Direct sell the bundle for compared to what Cable does. And where did Phone or Internet come into my post?

Well if you want to take full atvantage of VOD with D* or E*, Internet is a "Must have"
Over 57 of Dish Networks HD channels require internet remember.;)

And Because D* and E* don't offer as you claim "Valid" Bundle packs, is not the customers problem that they suck.:p
And you can go on Verizon.com and Look at what you'll pay for internet and phone, or if you like Wild blue.:eek:

As far as Top 250 and Choice Ultimate, Well D* Starz pack comes with all the Encore channels
Unlike Dish Networks

So you can Subscribe to Choice Extra with Starz and get what in your top 250 pack and more.
Plus MLB,YES,MSG,MSG+, plus many more are offered.
Super stations, Sure ,they come with my locals, I get 3 of them already as well as 3 PBS 2 in HD.:)
And I don't have to pay $7 extra for 5 crappy SD Superstations.

Dish Doesn't offer crap for what they charge, they have no excuse for making record profit, they should be putting that money into their offing instead of in Charlies pocket, That puts them at the High end of scale.:up:up

OH lets not forget the $6 per month protection plan that still requires a $15 fee for a service call.
And how about the $15 fee for returning a receiver.
Oh and the $5-20 Programming Downgrading charge.

Anything Else I forgot to mention about the Satellite company at the Low end of the price scale.?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

D* has a Billion dollar NFL ST Bill , and still in many cases cost less the Dish Network.
They also Serve New York Area with Sports
Almost the Entire Country has atleast 1 Fulltime HD RSN in their DMA
Nascar HotPass is FREE to all customers.
MLB EI is offered.
MRV is also available.
These I'm sure have a higher Price tag then EPIX,and Superstations in SD.:eek:

These are just some of the major things the Directv pays for its customers so they can offer their customers choices.

Cable companys again, aren't recording record profit, But still offer more then what Dish has going on right now, and I didn't have to even sign any commitment.

So whats DISH got going on that anything to brag about?

Besides another record income for Charlie.

Singbox on a 922, Change the record,:rant: if anyone gave a crap about that Dish would have added 190,000 customers in the last 2 quarter instead of lose them.

Fact is Charlie has gotten richer, and his customer are getting poorer.
And Some of you will never stop making excuses for him no matter what.

Last edited:
"As far as Top 250 and Choice Ultimate, Well D* Starz pack comes with all the Encore channels
Unlike Dish Networks
So you can Subscribe to Choice Extra with Starz and get what in your top 250 pack and more."

You make it impossible to carry on meaningful discussion from the original posts, which is the cost of Dish based on YOUR comparison. YOU compared Dish and Direct using Choice Extra and Top 250. Now because I pointed out Top250 has more to it (more HD channels by over 10, and Encore included) you are switching the argument to Choice Ultimate. Your comparison appears to be wrong based on the Direct TV website anyways. Not only would adding Starz cost another $13 to the Direct cost, something you failed to mention, and adding a movie premium to now compare packages having no relation to the comparison of TOP250 and Choice, but you still would not have the Encore pack or more HD channels than Top250.

Then you added bundling. Even at that, I showed you that I can save even more with Dish and Direct by not bundling over your cost of bundling.....(I gave you the companies I am using so you can check the prices I am quoting)

And if you are going to look at ALL the costs, such as returning a receiver fee, (which does suck but read on) then you can't pick and choose. There are several costs, including higher package costs associated with Cable also. And since you are trying to include everything rather than what the original discussion was, where does the horrible receiver from Charter Cable come in? Or their constant outages. Or their bankruptcy? A one time $15 fee looks ok to me compared to having to put up with Charter.

And now you have made it a rant against Dish and "Charlie" rather than just using the figures and facts. Your premise that Dish costs more based on your own comparison, when given what you get for programming and HD is just not correct. Can you find a Cable company that is less expensive, I suppose so, but rarely in the long run. Do Direct TV and Dish give you the same programming? Nope. One has quite abit more HD and includes some programming that the other one doesn't in their packages. One has more sports premium available. Is Direct TV and Dish prices overall about equal when you consider what you are getting in the packages. Yep.

I'm giving you the last word so as not to prolong the thread.

Last edited:
Well first off, I've had dish for 3 years, 2 of them were side by side with D*.

My current setup, would be
4 HD DVRs, Top 250, Cinemax, Starz/Encore, HD platinum , Protection plan

I don't do Auto pay, I 'd rather pay $10 per month then let D* or E* take out their own money.
Dish
Top 250 $69.99
HD platinum $20
Free Starz, Cinemax $13
DVR and 4 VIP 612 $36
Protection Plan $6
$142.99

Directv
Choice Extra $65.99
HD/HD Extra $14.99
DVR/4 rooms HR's $25
Starz/Encore,Cinemax $24
Protection plan $5.99
$135.97

Directv
Choice Ultimate $70.99
HD/HDExtra $14.99
DVR/4 Rooms $25
Starz Encore,Cinemax $24
Protection plan $5.99
$140.97

Now Add $54.99 for Verizon 3 MBPS DSL, and $34.99 for Vonage Unlimited Phone to the Satellite Providers.

Total!
For Dish $232.97
For Directv $225.95-$230.95

Blue Ridge Cable

HD Digital HD Plus $83.89
4 Rooms HD DVR $38.96
Starz/Encore Cinemax $24.50
$147.34
10Mbps Internet and Unlimited Phone Bundle
$55.95

$203.29

So there you have it,
D* beats dish by far. And with Bundle packs, MY cable company beats all!

Hemi I have a curious question why is the charge for HD Platinum $20. for Dish Network? Should it not be $10.?.
As I stated just curious.:confused:

Tampa8;2469871/ said:
You make it impossible to carry on meaningful discussion from the original posts, which is the cost of Dish based on YOUR comparison. YOU compared Dish and Direct using Choice Extra and Top 250. Now because I pointed out Top250 has more to it (more HD channels by over 10, and Encore included) you are switching the argument to Choice Ultimate. Your comparison appears to be wrong based on the Direct TV website anyways. Not only would adding Starz cost another $13 to the Direct cost, something you failed to mention, and adding a movie premium to now compare packages having no relation to the comparison of TOP250 and Choice, but you still would not have the Encore pack or more HD channels than Top250.
You need to learn to read!.

Bottom line!!

Choice Extra Vs Choice Ultimate is the same Line up except for Ultimate Has all the Encore channels and TMC East and West.

If you add Starz Super pack to Choice Extra you Get All the Starz channels as well as all the Encore channels

So put up your price list and let me know and show us where E* is so much cheaper.

Back it up!!!

Hemi I have a curious question why is the charge for HD Platinum $20. for Dish Network? Should it not be $10.?.
As I stated just curious.:confused:
The Same reason I included the $14.99 charge for D* HD

HD access and HD Extra and Platinum.

Unless you do Auto pay your not getting a $10 credit for either company.

Cable companys again, aren't recording record profit, But still offer more then what Dish has going on right now, and I didn't have to even sign any commitment.

So whats DISH got going on that anything to brag about?

Besides another record income for Charlie.

Singbox on a 922, Change the record,:rant: if anyone gave a crap about that Dish would have added 190,000 customers in the last 2 quarter instead of lose them.

Fact is Charlie has gotten richer, and his customer are getting poorer.
And Some of you will never stop making excuses for him no matter what.
Cable companies are in the business of selling bandwidth and bundles. That is it. What they have to offer as far as programming is not any better, and in many cases worse, than what satellite offers. This is also why they try their best to restrict bandwidth

Satellite is the the business of offering programming. That is it. This is why they usually have more programming options, particularly in HD, than cable

You need to learn to read!.

Bottom line!!

Choice Extra Vs Choice Ultimate is the same Line up except for Ultimate Has all the Encore channels and TMC East and West.

If you add Starz Super pack to Choice Extra you Get All the Starz channels as well as all the Encore channels

So put up your price list and let me know and show us where E* is so much cheaper.

Back it up!!!
And with my setup, as I have shown before, DirecTV is cheaper than Dish as well. Without my grandfathered package, the price is about the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts