DISH Network Reports Fourth Quarter and Year End 2010 Financial Results

This is what happens when you have a continuing strategy to GOUGE your customers with made up FEES and Outrageous additional receiver fees, just because you can. The $17.00 additional receiver cost for a vip dual tuner dvr is ridiculous. To top it off they took all their made up fees, like the tv 2 connection fee and the dvr fee, that they say they aren't charging but one time on the account, and rolled them into one monster additional receiver fee. So you still are paying the $5.00 tv 2 connection fee if you have more than one dual tuner dvr on your account. You pay a $5.98 or higher dvr fee in the price of the additional receiver fees along with the tv 2 fee along with a $5.00 additional recevier fee included for a whopping $17.00 for one extra dual tuner dvr on your account. Now DIRECTV is only charging a $6.00 fee PER extra receiver and ONE dvr fee per account. DISH lies and rolls all their fees into one big fee and says we too only charge one dvr fee per account.

This all started years ago when they started adding a dvr fee to their receivers. One of the biggest growth spurts for DISH was back in the early part of the last decade and they introduced the 501/508/721/921 PVRS with NO Monthly fee and advertised this fact relentlessly. Directv used to charge $9.00 a month on their dvrs and the pressure from DISH 's NO Monthly dvr fee campaign helped to force DIRECTV to lower their dvr fees down to $5.00 per account. Then DISH decided all that growth and demand for the dvrs , why not charge a fee? Then it was why not charge a dvr fee on EACH dvr on the account? Then this seemed to be too much so they introduced the new ADDITIONAL receiver fees that I already described above.

People aren't that STUPID Charlie! They can see through your attempts to gouge them and churn accordingly. I have been a supporter of DISH for years and I love their dvrs equipment and even the discussion forums talking about them, BUT I also have to tell it like it is. DISH has lost it's way and will continue to lose subs every quarter , unless they turn away from their never ending monthly" made up because we can charge it "fees . It is time to return to the basic premise of this company: Good value for your customers at reasonable rates. IT does no good to have low priced monthly programming if you tack on made up fees to hike the average customer cost to over $100.00 a month. DISH is higher in some comparisons than DIRECTV when you add the extra cost of the monthly fees for additional receivers, etc.

What makes more sense for long term viability for a company: More subs all paying reasonable price for programming and good word of mouth that attracts more subs OR fewer subs paying ever increasing amount of monthly FEES on receivers and extras to get your profits up, but your churn is ever increasing every quarter ? A company can not survive long term if the amount of subs keeps dropping every quarter. It is not sustainable as a company model.

I say quit with all the short term freebies that you throw us like Starz and actually lower your prices AND or cut out all the extra made up fees. IF DISH ever wants to have networked receivers like DIRECTV's multi-room viewing capability , they will have to find a way to lower your additional receiver fees and make them more in line with the competition. Other wise get used to seeing the continuing drops in subs every quarter till there is NO more DISH NETWORK.

So, how soon can we sign up with "HanoverPretzel Satellite Service" ?

It's easy to ask someone else to provide more for less, ain't it ?

If I were a billionaire and wanted to get into the television business, I might just consider intentionally operating with slimmer profit margins to provide more low-cost options to people who might have trouble affording anything else. I'm not judging anyone for not doing that, though. I'm just saying, as a customer, I'd be interested in something of that nature. It'd be nice to see a company somewhere operate a little more as a public service and a little less as a method of wealth enhancement for the already rich.

Maybe it's operating in a dream world to think a company could even hypothetically cater to customers at the expense of the bottom line occasionally, instead of wringing every last penny out of people, but, hey, dare to dream, right? ;)

I want to be fair here, though -- this is by no means just an issue with Dish. The cable companies do the same thing. Other non-television related businesses do the thing. It's really an across the board issue.

I never said you shouldn't like Dish. I have Dish.

You just need try to be a little bit objective, instead of blindly defending them.

Even Scott said, "And while I hate seeing members take pot shots at a company they do not do business with, I feel that DISH had it coming here. The writing was on the wall last year. Anyone who didn't see it coming needs to have their eyes checked."

Well if you check my posts I was mainly questioning why there were those with DirecTV jumping on the"Let's bad mouth Dish Network bandwagon"?.Now if you have Dish Network and if you wish to bad mouth them then be my guest.;)

But I cannot join you because I have been very happy with my Dish Network subscription.I believe that Dish Network has gone the extra mile to keep me happy,but I am also a higher priced package subscriber.

So do I care how Dish Network is run?.I don't have a view on that as I expect those in the higher up positions at Dish Network and EchoStar do.Plus I have no idea how to operate a company.:confused:

So I guess that when I check prices of programming within the industry and my Dish Network programming is cheaper and their equipment in my view works better than any other companies I have had?.I'm content.:)

So do I care how Dish Network is run?.I don't have a view on that as I expect those in the higher up positions at Dish Network and EchoStar do.Plus I have no idea how to operate a company.:confused:
Lesson number 1.

Add customers

Lesson number 2.
Keep customers

Lesson Number 3.
Don't pass your expenses on to your customers to support your bad business decisions.

I don't think this churn will continue, even if Dish does nothing. Those incensed by the extra receiver fees have either left already or downsized. Those who couldn't stand missing a few weeks of Fox (whatever it was in dispute) last year are already gone and reflected in these numbers. What's still missing other than Disney HD?

I think churn will go way down (and sub numbers start upward again) this quarter courtesy of the big 30th anniversary gifts. You heard it here first.

You will make money if you follow these steps.

he's a billonaire..please note E* turned a record profit and thats all that really matters.. sometimes its more profitable to lose a few customers than to spend millions on sports packages to retain them

Last edited:
"What I find funny is that if you watch this industry like I have that you will see that it is normal for the companies to bounce like this. Sometimes DISH is on top then boom DIRECTV is on top."

Yep. Remember, not that many years ago, when it seemed DirecTV could never turn a profit? Year after year of losses, a dog up for sale repeatedly. What was that expression Rupert Murdoch used to describe them, just before he sold?

"What I find funny is that if you watch this industry like I have that you will see that it is normal for the companies to bounce like this. Sometimes DISH is on top then boom DIRECTV is on top."

Yep. Remember, not that many years ago, when it seemed DirecTV could never turn a profit? Year after year of losses, a dog up for sale repeatedly. What was that expression Rupert Murdoch used to describe them, just before he sold?
"Turd Bird" I believe is the correct term.;)

he's a billonaire..please note E* turned a record profit and thats all that really matters.. sometimes its more profitable to lose a few customers than to spend millions on sports packages to retain them
Thats the problem, Charlie is a Billionaire.

So when is enough money enough money?

He could spare a few increases and retain his customers.
But he chooses to rake them over the stones to make MORE profit.

When does that end?

A company that Crys all the time about the Hard economy shouldn't make record Profit!

EXXON and Dish Network are the only to companys dumb enough to think no one would notice.

A net profit of 367 Million more than D* with over 4 million LESS subscribers.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The cable (see the prices of copper lately?)

They use new switches, new dishes and most of the receivers going in are brand new as well. (I can tell you a 922 does not cost $200 to make, it costs a lot more....) :)

(Sorry Scott my big thumb hit report instead of quote didn't realize it until my post didn't show) Thanks for the replies. Just wasn't sure what made installs cost so much. Can a installer charge what they want or does Dish have it set in their contract? Never thought of the 922 costing so much to make. Makes sense to pay $4.00 on Dish's end to put a dent in the difference over time.

Be damned if i'd leave a provider just because of retransmission dispute. They all are having this problem so there's nothing to gain IMO.

Also compared my E* service and price to my girlfriend's D* service we both pay about the same but I get lots more hd movie channels than she does. In fact I get lots more hd channels than her period. The only thing i see of possible interest in D* if you're into it is sports and more VOD and ppv. That's something that neither of are into.
That's why there are apples and oranges.

NEW customers with Dish do NOT get used/refurbished receivers. The dishes don't get returned to Dish (and the number taken down and swapped by techs will be tiny). LNBs and switches ? Maybe.

I can tell you 100 Percent that is BS. Some offices still install 622s for new customers not 722ks.
You cant tell me that a 522, 625, 311, 512!, 612,622, 722 are "New".. they might be new to that customer. but they have been used and burned out.
The lnbs get used over so many times sometimes they show up with bird crap still on them in the box.
The only new lnbs out there are the 1k.4
and yes the reflector is new as well. but it cost 15 cents to make the damn thing. why would dish re-use it.
switches are almost never used. (there is a mix of new and old)

TRUST ME

runner861 said:
I hear that subscribers are leaving like crazy over the loss of HD distants. No one wants to hear the truth, but it is an issue.

The amount of hd distant subscribers was so small that it wouldn't make a dent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts