DISH Network Reports Fourth Quarter and Year End 2011 Financial Results

Dish would have nationwide coverage. But, remember that cell service is measured by % of population covered not % of land. That is how AT&T can claim 95%+ 3G coverage while huge swatches of land barely have edge or GPRS service.

One would think that Dish would be most competative with wireless in rural areas and TV bundling. The question of course will be pricing. Will they be able to get the price down low enough to make it attractive in urban areas. It would certainly be better than satellite internet, but of course not nearly the capacity of DSL/Cable/FIOS. If they could come in at 25-50 cents a GB I could see it being very competative in rural areas, with advanced LTE (not the current LTE) they would have the capacity needed.
thank you ;)

When you let customers drop down to the Welcome Pack and pay $10 per month for programming, no wonder why they had only gained 22,000 subs!

i don't understand your point. It would seem to me to be exactly the opposite. If they let customers drop to lower packs they should gain customers. It probably won't put much money in the coffers, but it should increase number of subscribers, I would think.

Pleasantly surprised that they gained subs, but it doesn’t account for the fact that they had a negative sub growth throughout the year. Also, the common trending is that they will have a few quarters of small sub growth, then 3 or 4 quarters of sub loss. This has been the trend sense 2008, whereas DirecTV has yet to have a sub loss. In addition with the new Hopper, if they add HDRSN's in full time as said would happen in June of last year, dish could actually move forward with lots of growth in the future. When you compare who has had sub losses versus who hasn’t (dish and DirecTV) versus the programming they offer, its clear that sports is winning! I understand that dish is happy with their current positions, if that is the case then they need to stop pretending that they want to be the best and accept that they will be nothing but a 3rd rate provider behind DirecTV and Comcast.

i don't understand your point. It would seem to me to be exactly the opposite. If they let customers drop to lower packs they should gain customers. It probably won't put much money in the coffers, but it should increase number of subscribers, I would think.

I would think it would also help customers from canceling their accounts
Logic certainly dictates that it would be the case.

Regardless of what the FCC thinks, they aren't.

Kinda tough to say that to the people that let you keep the switch in the ON position on the transmitters in Cheyenne. The FCC continues to keep slapping Dish & Echostar around especially with their slot squatting, I'm surprised they haven't done it with their other spectrum they are sitting on, some from around 8 years ago. Now Dish/Echostar are slapping back, it's going to get interesting. And people think pissing off the IRS is bad, try pissing off the FCC.

I doubt dish would care about people paying for $10 welcome packs... more of a liability to deal with then they are worth. It's the people who pay $100 a month that are their meat. I'm amazed people would pay that much for just TV but whatever, I guess if I used it more. :) I pay about $5 a month for cell phone with page plus, use csipsimple and pbxes.com to get free outgoing calls, use wi-fi and google voice for free texting.. I'm one of those problem people that tries to save money on things I don't use much. Unfortunately I still pay too much for cable. :) Fortunately mediacom is improving some by phasing out their analog and increasing their HD channels this year.

Interesting that they make that much money, but ESPN and the regional sports networks are the "bad guys" whenever Dish doesn't want to pay them. I don't know what they're asking for, but I'll bet it's less than the 1.52 billion dollars a year Dish makes in pure profit. :)

As a customer, if I ever lose a channel I like due to a channel dispute, there's no way I'm letting Dish off the hook while they're making these kind of profit numbers. And the next time they raise my bill, I'm not going to say "Eh, the cost of business is going up" either. They can pick which channels they're willing to carry and pick what prices they want to charge their customers, but, as customers, we don't have to buy into the propaganda that says it's necessary.

HanoverPretzel said:
Interesting that they make that much money, but ESPN and the regional sports networks are the "bad guys" whenever Dish doesn't want to pay them. I don't know what they're asking for, but I'll bet it's less than the 1.52 billion dollars a year Dish makes in pure profit. :)

As a customer, if I ever lose a channel I like due to a channel dispute, there's no way I'm letting Dish off the hook while they're making these kind of profit numbers. And the next time they raise my bill, I'm not going to say "Eh, the cost of business is going up" either. They can pick which channels they're willing to carry and pick what prices they want to charge their customers, but, as customers, we don't have to buy into the propaganda that says it's necessary.

How much profit would be acceptable to you?

For me it's not that they made a profit. Good for them. They should make a profit.

My problem with Dish is that their profit is steadily growing quarter after quarter while their subscriber numbers are dropping. I know they gained subscribers this quarter but for the year as a whole profits were up but subscribers were down. This means they are making more money off each of us as individuals than they did in the past. I have said this before but to me this shows that they aren't passing savings for channels they aren't carrying on to the customers.

People applaud them for taking a stand against Disney or RSNs like they are doing us a favor by not providing us with the channels. These channels they aren't paying for are helping to increase their profits but we don't get the benefit from it. Prices are pretty comparable between dish and other providers like directv especially when you add equipment fees for multiple dvrs. They aren't saving us money.

I was saying that if they didn't have the welcome pack, they would be posting negative numbers right now instead of a gain of 22,000 subscribers.

Here is what is happening...

Customer: I want to Cancel

DISH Network agent: Your in a 2 year contract, with 12 months remaining. There is a $240 cancellation fee due today.

Customer: I can't or won't pay it

DISH Network agent: We have this welcome pack for $10/mo, and you can ride out your contract paying $10/mo

Customer: ok that will work, I'll just pay the $10 mo eventhough I don't watch it and have Directv installed

The real shocker is when all these welcome pack customers go out of contract and cancel, all they are doing is using this to hide the real subscriber losses for the next year or so.

I was saying that if they didn't have the welcome pack, they would be posting negative numbers right now instead of a gain of 22,000 subscribers.

Here is what is happening...

Customer: I want to Cancel

DISH Network agent: Your in a 2 year contract, with 12 months remaining. There is a $240 cancellation fee due today.

Customer: I can't or won't pay it

DISH Network agent: We have this welcome pack for $10/mo, and you can ride out your contract paying $10/mo

Customer: ok that will work, I'll just pay the $10 mo eventhough I don't watch it and have Directv installed

The real shocker is when all these welcome pack customers go out of contract and cancel, all they are doing is using this to hide the real subscriber losses for the next year or so.

Thanks for the clarification. What you are saying here does make some sense.

God help me, I saw the headline on the front page as "Dish Announces Earrings". I thought Dish was getting into the jewelry and branded trinket business.

Glad to see the company do so well last quarter. To hear some people talk here, I would have thought the world was coming to an end.

Ergan has said, many times, that he can see or understand the very high cost of ESPN or other sport channels as it is very expensive to get the rights to the pro games and athlete salaries are expensive, etc. so he has never really ranted against ESPN. In regards to RSN, Ergan has stated that according to their data shows that the vast majority of Dish subs DON'T view RSN's regularly or at all, and in that case during the last negotiations for RSN's, he was prepared to have Dish WITHOUT RSN's.

However, Ergan has been, and correctly so, very upset and at a loss, to control the costs of programming when it comes to the countless "junk" channels that he MUST also buy in order to get the highly rated one. A channel that is highly rated and/or has new or original programming is one where he can see the value, but being forced to pay for numerous Viacom crap channels and Disney OWNED crap channels, and any other channel that is noting more than one designed to milk the MVPD's--and, hence, the consumers--of cash while programming a channel with OLD, unpopular content from their vault of failed programming that nobody cares about anymore, and all MVPD's have quite a few of them. What's the value of ESPN Classic, HUB in HD, TVGN just to name a few.

To make the point, name your favorite "crap" channel. Let's get a total of how many Dish has, and we know Dish doesn't really want them, nor do we.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts