DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

So I am now paying $14 a month for a fee called (Duo 2 tv receiver) & $6 a month for DVR service fee. If I get a Hopper & 2 Joeys this means these fees will go away & I will only be paying $4 more per month for the hopper & 2 joeys?

I don't see how he could, with such a negative attitude.

Claude, you really seem to be intent on finding everything negative about the Hopper and nothing positive. Can you not see that for many if not most people, this is a good system? Does DirecTV pay you better?
Claude needs to adhere to the following mantra....

"Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do and charge!";)

So I am now paying $14 a month for a fee called (Duo 2 tv receiver) & $6 a month for DVR service fee. If I get a Hopper & 2 Joeys this means these fees will go away & I will only be paying $4 more per month for the hopper & 2 joeys?

Yes. The two Joeys will cost $14, the same as your ViP 222. You just have to pay the additional $4 multiroom DVR fee.

NO mixed accounts - this is so truly STUPID for existing customers that own their equipment! Dish has the head where the sun doesn't shine !!!

So keep your equipment and continue on as before. It's not a replacement system, its a successor system.

I hope they come up with an easy way to backfeed a joey to additional outlets. That would make the costs come down enough for me to upgrade. I really don't need a joey at every TV anyways.

As for what's announced now, it's one joey too much in additional outlet fees that would keep me from upgrading.

You could use an HDMI splitter to run to other HDTVs. But they'd all be watching the same program.

Tailgater accounts need to have two separate accounts according to Blake.

Which begs the question, two FULL PRICE separate accounts? Perhaps they could create a reduced cost, linked account. But I can see where they would fear that would lead to account stacking, albeit somewhat limited stacking.

Last edited:
So 2 hoppers won't talk to each other until they update the software. Is it possible to have them remain separate after the software update?

I am in. I will see either a $199 or $298 upfront cost, and then an additional $1 or $8 a month pending on if the first joey is actually included. But for me to have HD tv in every room and to get an additional tuner and maybe more in future with an OTA module. That to me is worth it. Plus when they do get them to communicate with all the hoppers/joeys will be worth having that extra insurance of having tv unless both hoppers go out. My Plan: 4 tv's: 2 hoppers and 2 joeys.

3) When comparing a 722 and 211's to Hopper and 2 (or 3) Joeys you are not comparing apples to apples. With Hopper you are getting DVR functionality in every room, plus all the additional features that the Hopper and Joey system give you including access to Pandora, Facebook and access to you music collections over DLNA. Not to mention all the speed and Prime Time Anywhere.

I have portable computers for accessing the internet and streaming my music. Not to mention that I'm not sure I entirely trust streaming my music to somebody who's in bed with content providers.

4) Someone said they have one tv and if they can only have 1 Hopper and no Joey's and I said yes... that answer is correct but the way the DISH system is setup you will be charged $10 for the whole home DVR service, its just the way the system is setup. (So my advice is to buy a second TV and get a Joey.) :D

Well what about those of us who have only an SD TV attached to the RF output of our ViP DVRs? Why should we have to pay $7 for a Joey because Dish chose not to put an RF output in the Hopper? I hardly ever use the SD TV, so I doubt I'll be paying $7 a month for it!

Does the Hopper have a composite output that we could modulate, and does it use RF remotes?

And one last thing, Scott. You and others keep saying that cable companies charge additional outlet fees too. Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but Comcast, the largest operator in the country, and one not particularly loved by users nor non-users alike, provides at least two SD digital converters for free to anyone!

Well what about those of us who have only an SD TV attached to the RF output of our ViP DVRs? Why should we have to pay $7 for a Joey because Dish chose not to put an RF output in the Hopper? I hardly ever use the SD TV, so I doubt I'll be paying $7 a month for it!
The big thing about Hopper is shared DVR with HD to the remote TVs. If your SD at the remotes, then you don't have any need to upgrade.

Does the Hopper have a composite output that we could modulate, and does it use RF remotes?
Yes. Hopper has HDMI/Component/Composite outs, Joey has HDMI/Composite outs. Yes - both Hoper and Joey use RF remotes.

And one last thing, Scott. You and others keep saying that cable companies charge additional outlet fees too. Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but Comcast, the largest operator in the country, and one not particularly loved by users nor non-users alike, provides at least two SD digital converters for free to anyone!
Not my comcast, but you can still get the limited in the clear stuff here without a box. Direc and Uverse you have per outlet fees. Can't speak for FIOS.

Hopper is meant to be an HD unit first and foremost. If SD works for you, then VIP Duos may well be the better choice. They aren't forcing anyone to change.

One of the current advantages with Comcast, Fios and some other cablecos is that one does not have to use their DVRs. You can add a USB or PCI Express Ceton/Silicon Dust tuner/card and a cablecard to your PC and record up to 4 channels at once, paying only the cablecard monthly fee, and then distribute over a home network. I have both Dish and Fios here in Florida and am using a Ceton card for Fios. It's working darn well thus far.

Scott, Just printed the training guide. According to the Customer Estimate Sheet if you have 2 Hoppers the WILL NOT be able to communicate to each other at launch but is a upcoming feature.

Just wanted to pass this info on.

Shawn

Ouch... here comes that SOON word again! That along with the package choices, only 3 tuners, and extra fees, looks like that makes up my mind with going with the 5 tuner DirecTV install. Dish drops the ball again...I'm not surprised. It was a good attempt though.

Personally I think the best (and smartest) thing to do is to allow for one (and only one) ViP receiver allowed on a Hopper account.

If they did that it would be fair to everyone and would still cut down on account stacking.

Scott: I agree, whether it is the RV, Tailgater, or the Weekend Cabin, It would be reasonable to allow 1 standard receiver (at the normal monthly charge). I think that a 2 account requirement would push people to "the other choice" more rapidly that Dish thinks.

Also, will you be able to do a self-install, or will you have to use a Dish Dude?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)