DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

I don't see what the good thing about those who wait. If you wait whether you get it or not then when the time comes for whatever it is that may happen then everyone would see it regardless. Does that make any sense? lol.

Guess Dish isn't going to recommending Hoppers for those who only want service for one TV. Not sure why the Whole Home $4 fee is going to be assessed for 1 Hopper and 0 Joeys...seems kinda difficult to do Whole Home with only a Hopper...

Good point. They gave it a bad name then. I am sure they want you to pay that fee regardless of whether or not you add anymore Joeys or Hoppers. They know that there is a good amount of people out there that just want one tv now and may want another one later and they don't want to have to swap out other hardware for the Hopper later on if that were the case.

Two Hoppers vs. Two Duo's = Fewer wasted tuners since its all shared on the same network. Instead of one having just two tuners they each have three plus another three on the second Hopper. So the first can have three and the second three, first have four and the second has two left or the first can have five and still the second have a feed to record or have for live television. This is assuming each Hopper is dedicated to a television like the duo's in single user mode.

Another realization about the Hopper/Joey system. I think more people don't want a DVR or HD in just one room of their house. They want the same great functionality in all rooms of the house. This system does that for them along with sharing of all the content among all rooms in the house.

I don't see what the good thing about those who wait. If you wait whether you get it or not then when the time comes for whatever it is that may happen then everyone would see it regardless. Does that make any sense? lol.
One good thing about waiting: you won't lose OTA tuners while waiting for SOON(tm).

Too Soon on NOT Too Soon that is the question I ask of thee . . . . .

I am with DirecTV. I hate there guide. I want to switch to Dish. I currently have 3 HD DVRS all Networked Together with an OTA tuner for each DVR. For the My Play List I see all recordings form all HD DVRS (rooms).
Switching from DirecTV to Dish, the Two Hoppers would not talked to each (not yet) other AND I would loose about 15 Local OTA channels as there is no OTA tuner yet. They say it will be soon.

To Soon or Not Too Soon?

I have read so many threads on here about the 922 and other older models where new features were mentioned but not released for a year and in some cases NEVER.

To Soon or Not Too Soon,

The answer to the is

I must stick with DireCTV for now, maybe look at getting the new HR34 some more.

PS sure do wish they would finish adding the Weather Channel Weather scan to all cities.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/277671-weather-channel-weather-scan-2.html

Personally, I suggest waiting 3 months and see where the chips fall.

Guess Dish isn't going to recommending Hoppers for those who only want service for one TV. Not sure why the Whole Home $4 fee is going to be assessed for 1 Hopper and 0 Joeys...seems kinda difficult to do Whole Home with only a Hopper...

There are single TV receivers out there. Both DVR and non-DVR. They aren't going away. They'll be installing non-Hopper systems for years. They may want it to be their primary install, over the years. Eventually, they may install Hopper with DVR deactivated for those with no interest in DVRs. Then, when they decide they want the DVR functionality, they pay the fee and Dish turns on the function. IBM did something similar for years- they installed a "large" HDD in every computer in certain lines. You wanted a "small" HDD, you paid for that much space, and the rest was unavailable. You want the "large" HDD, the tech came out, made it look good, and simply removed the block from using the rest of the HDD. BTW, IBM did not tell people this is what they were doing. Took quite a while before people caught on. Cost effective for IBM.

The move to Hopper/Joey is over the LONG TERM. Millions of receivers = many years. Look at how WA still doesn't have all MPEG-4. 8PSK, anyone?

Sigh, once again I caution everyone to be patient. Every release of a new receiver box has resulted in "de-bugging" over a few months time.

What are plans A, B, or C. I looked at my contract and statement and there is no plan listed.

Dish has a rating system, not really a "plan," for it's customers. Basically, the most profitable are "A." Most are "B" or even "C." They do not reveal how they calculate this. Kinda reminds me of the North Korean "tomato" system for rating the loyalty and value of it's citizens. But really, a practical system for cost effectively meting out bennies.

Ok, trying to figure all the out.
I have 2 622s with 4 tvs attached. I also have a projector room with no tv feed, just DVD and BD. I would like to get all five in HD. So can I get 1 hopper with 4 joeys? I know there are only 3 tuners but there are only 3 people living in the house plus the projector would not get used a whole lot. If all three tuners are in use can the forth or fifth tv share a tuner that is use?

Ok, trying to figure all the out.
I have 2 622s with 4 tvs attached. I also have a projector room with no tv feed, just DVD and BD. I would like to get all five in HD. So can I get 1 hopper with 4 joeys? I know there are only 3 tuners but there are only 3 people living in the house plus the projector would not get used a whole lot. If all three tuners are in use can the forth or fifth tv share a tuner that is use?
Yes, the 4th or 5th can watch one of the other tuners in use, OR they can be watching DVR recordings. If all 3 tuners are recording programs, then all 5 TVs can be watching 5 other DVR recordings as well.

For those of you obsessing over the number of tuners in the DirecTV whole home DVR and thinking it's a superior unit, keep this in mind. It isn't a full function whole home DVR the way the Hopper/Joey system is. You can't pause/rewind live TV from the extension units unless they happen to be DVR units themselves.

Again, NOT correct when the HR34 is used with thin-clients like the Joey's - ALL the thin-clients can do this.

NO mixed accounts - this is so truly STUPID for existing customers that own their equipment! Dish has the head where the sun doesn't shine !!!

Yup, made up our minds. NO HOPPER / NO JOEY - no Kangaroo boxes to keep clean.

mostly because of NO EXTERNAL OTA TUNER. Dish's version of OTA HD sucks in Chicago. The turn an incredible transmission from WTTW, Channel 11, PBS into absolute GARBAGE! Without the OTA tuner for TRUE OTA HD, this will never happen for us.

We'll downgrade to 222s and put 1 at each TV. Don't need the DVR function, rarely, if ever use it, but do want HD at each TV. 3 722s right now, so we will probably go down in costs just a tad. Another benefit. Should be lots of legacy equipment on eBay soon - at some VERY good prices, too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)