DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

How can they charge 7 per joey when there is no tuner built in. Directv charges 7 a month plus another 3 for the whole home dvr service, but each of there boxes have a tuner in them.

DirecTV also charges the same fee if you use a compatible Samsung TV instead. They ALL love to charge "per outlet" fees.

I'm not going to be an early experimenter. I will only consider upgrading AFTER an ota module is made available. I've had to much crapware over the years. Anyone remember the Sparq Drive?

and I will need 1 ehd per 722k right

No, you can move the drive between the two units. Archive the first 722, move the ehd to the second 722 and archive, then hook up to the Hopper and watch.

Archiving a lot of content will take some time. It's not something to start the night before the Hopper install is scheduled

Yeah, I have to think about this too. We have a total of 4 tuners in our house with the 722k/222k setup. We will lose one with a 1H/2J setup. If I get an additional hopper I won't be able to see the content on both until the software update if/when it happens. Plus, I need the OTA module for my locals in HD which won't be out on launch day (hint to DISH, work on getting more locals in HD!).

Do I upgrade now, and then replace a joey with a hopper later, or do I wait?

REMEMBER DISH'S HISTORY! This software update will be just like the 922 - it will NEVER happen. I'll put up $50.00 bucks with Scott tomorrow if there is a taker. SOON = NEVER

Speaking of "soon"...to Scott or anyone else in the know...what are the real odds of ever seeing an OTA module for the Hopper? Every time its mentioned, it seems as though its purely an afterthought. I still remember the video where Scott asked the Dish Rep at CES (sorry, forget his name as I'm typing this), and he looked like he could not have been less interested in either the question or the topic in general. Glossed over it very quickly. Makes me wonder how much of a priority (if any) that an OTA module actually is. I like what I've seen so far from the Hopper/Joey...and I'd be in the March 15th crowd to get one if the module were available.

Until it actually had been produced AND made available, though, I'll be on the sidelines watching.

The Fee structure is as I guessed it would be: AGGRESSIVELY HIGH. :mad: So DISH found another way, of their many ways , to hike the FEES even Higher. Bad move. Next year the price hikes AGAIN on all basic programming packs. Who will want to pay additional monthly fees on the new hopper system and pay for a programming Price hike too? And since once again, DISH is going to release the new Hopper system without the proper software it needs to be fully functional, with the many ways that people would like it to work , I would have to say that anyone who doesn't want to be disappointed with this receiver ,best wait till it is fully functioning the way it is supposed to. Just look at the 922 and it's short history in production. Still not fully functioning with all that was promised and is still being promised:Blockbuster@home. Just remember DISH has promised many features that are coming SOOON,only to never deliver on those features. Anyone remember the Sling Extender?:rolleyes:

JM42 said:
No, you can move the drive between the two units. Archive the first 722, move the ehd to the second 722 and archive, then hook up to the Hopper and watch.

Archiving a lot of content will take some time. It's not something to start the night before the Hopper install is scheduled

both my 722ks are over 80% full would a 1tb ehd be large enough

Here's a thought for the problem of getting Hopper/Joey(s) + the RV with the Tailgater: Instead of two Dish Accounts, would it be feasible to use the Pay-as-you-Watch (Dish Prepaid) for the ViP 211k/Tailgater setup? I don't know where you live, but around here, RVs usually sit unused for half the year. Just a thought...

I'll hold off until OTA is added. Since our DM is in the mid-80s in size, Dish does not carry every sub-channel or our PBS channel in HD. I'm sorry, Dish, but no OTA, no Hopper for me.

For my needs, I wish Dish had something like the DirecTV Nomad. I have a lake house and would just like to be able to move shows to a laptop before we left and then play them thru the TV I have down there. I don't care about watching anything live and don't have internet so can't use Sling.

For my needs, I wish Dish had something like the DirecTV Nomad. I have a lake house and would just like to be able to move shows to a laptop before we left and then play them thru the TV I have down there. I don't care about watching anything live and don't have internet so can't use Sling.
This is beauty of a Tivo Premiere or WMC tuner. You can move your recordings to various devices and watch without even having an antenna set-up, much less internet.

The Hopper platform is the future of the company, look for them to move over so that all new installs get Hoppers and Joey's. They will get the Hopper system right... because they have to.

And yet, E* is again sending an incomplete, crippled system out to customers. I don't get it. After reviewing all the Hopper/Joey info just released and the lack of clear answers to the obvious flaws in the system, I've concluded that this system is not for me and I couldn't recommend it to anybody in it's current state. Sorry but i think that E* has failed again by releasing this system before it's ready.

Looks like its a homerun with the improvements vs the previous DVR's but they struck out when it comes to the fees. I had a feeling that they would not waive that first Joey $7 fee and I knew all along that the Joey would be the same $7 fee as the additional outlet fees. Next, they will probably start charging that $7 fee for the first dual tuner receiver on your account (222, 522, 625, 722, 922) if it has two tv outputs just like they are doing with the first Hopper/Joey.
Sadly, charging $7 for the first Joey makes it more likely that Dish will charge $7 for the second tuner iin a dual tuner box in the future. If that happens, then I'll either trade in my 722K for two 211K's and add EHD's to each of them or just switch providers. We would rather cut pay-tv costs and not add to them. This is a major reason why I'm so disappointed in these fees. $4 for converting a SD output to HD is doable. $11 isn't. We'll see what Dish has in store in terms of price increases in 2013. I won't leave because of a price increase. Everyone raises prices and I can always lower my package. But if it's stupidly high, then we will look hard at what's available elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts