DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

I think the problem isn't with Dish, but with the content providers. I'm sure their contracts with the DBS providers requires an additional amount per outlet. Dish and DirecTV pass that on to us at $7/mo/outlet. The alternative would be for the Joeys to be media playback devices only, no Live TV. Imagine how that would go over!

I've been looking at our situation which might be pretty common for SatelliteGuys members. I have a 722 in the family room connected to the main HDTV and a 211/EHD in the bedroom connected to a smaller HDTV. The $40 I paid for enabling EHD is long past, so my incremental costs are the price of the Western Digital Essentials 750 GB drive connected to the 211. I have a 1 TB drive connected to the 722 for archiving F1 races and HDnet Shuttle launches, among other programming. I can't tell you the number of times I would have liked to watch something on one HDTV that was recorded on the other DVR. Hopper/Joey will be the answer assuming the OTA module is available. The $4/mo will be offset by the added convenience and one less external harddrive to maintain. A shame I'll lose the programming on the 211's EHD, though...

Since I own both the 211 and the 722k (thanks again, Scott & Claude!), I can deploy one or both to the family's vacation place up north. It will depend on whether I can use Dish's Pre-Paid plan with the 722k. But that's a different thread.

I think the problem isn't with Dish, but with the content providers. I'm sure their contracts with the DBS providers requires an additional amount per outlet. Dish and DirecTV pass that on to us at $7/mo/outlet. The alternative would be for the Joeys to be media playback devices only, no Live TV. Imagine how that would go over!

I've been looking at our situation which might be pretty common for SatelliteGuys members. I have a 722 in the family room connected to the main HDTV and a 211/EHD in the bedroom connected to a smaller HDTV. The $40 I paid for enabling EHD is long past, so my incremental costs are the price of the Western Digital Essentials 750 GB drive connected to the 211. I have a 1 TB drive connected to the 722 for archiving F1 races and HDnet Shuttle launches, among other programming. I can't tell you the number of times I would have liked to watch something on one HDTV that was recorded on the other DVR. Hopper/Joey will be the answer assuming the OTA module is available. The $4/mo will be offset by the added convenience and one less external harddrive to maintain. A shame I'll lose the programming on the 211's EHD, though...

Since I own both the 211 and the 722k (thanks again, Scott & Claude!), I can deploy one or both to the family's vacation place up north. It will depend on whether I can use Dish's Pre-Paid plan with the 722k. But that's a different thread.

I disagree. Back in the early 90's catv used to charge a per outlet fee even without a box. Deregulation put a stop to that. It is a fee they can charge based on equipment alone, the sad part is you are charged whether or not you own the equipment.

If they quit allowing companies to charge if you own your own equipment then they would probably quit making that an option or make the price so high that you don't want to do it.

dishrich said:
For the last time - IT'S $6 ON DIRECTV!
Oops, sorry. I guess I shouldn't have put an exact dollar amount on it. It wasn't germane to the point. Every paid television provider charges you for each TV you have when they can, although the exact amount differs.

At $7/output, pricing is not aggressive. It's not even competitive with DirecTV! The only aggressive pricing I see is the second Hopper at $7/mo.

baffled by this. 6 compared to 7 isn't close?

I think he likely means $5 would be aggressive. Charging the same fee or, as in this case, a dollar more is not. It may be competitive, but it isn't aggressive. Providing the first Joey free would be aggressive. The $99 upgrade fee for existing subs is aggressive compared to what Direct seems to want to upgrade to their HR34 system for existing subs.

"Aggressively "HIGH you mean.

Not at all. From the very first postings about what the fees and such might be, there was never a doubt in my mind that just like now, the first box has no monthly charge and all others have some charge. And that is exactly what happened, shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

And assuming that they will upgrade current users at $100/location is pretty darned aggressive in and of itself. It puts all new gear in your house, gives whole home dvr with central management point (will be better when 2 hoppers can integrate). If you've never had whole home dvrs, the central location of the various lists and management is really a nice way to have things.

Compared to the competition for existing users to upgrade to something like that, it is most likely going to be a steal. With D* to get central management with a 5-tuner DVR, the cost ranges from free to $500 all depending mostly on the luck of the draw when you call them.

For new customers, it is also a great deal. Hopper + 4 Joeys for no upfront money! With D*, if you want the HR34, that's $99 upfront then 3 more receivers free.

baffled by this. 6 compared to 7 isn't close?

One def I saw was as low as 10% lower, or up to 10% higher than the competition. I was thinking (wrongly) that, to be competitive, you had to be at least as cheap as the competition, and not higher. In any case, ($7-$6)/$6 X 100 = 16% higher. Dish is not even competitive, let along aggressive on the monthly fees.

I will admit that free upgrades would indeed be aggressive pricing, at least compared to some other firms.

Last edited:
Not at all. From the very first postings about what the fees and such might be, there was never a doubt in my mind that just like now, the first box has no monthly charge and all others have some charge. And that is exactly what happened, shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

And assuming that they will upgrade current users at $100/location is pretty darned aggressive in and of itself. It puts all new gear in your house, gives whole home dvr with central management point (will be better when 2 hoppers can integrate). If you've never had whole home dvrs, the central location of the various lists and management is really a nice way to have things.

Compared to the competition for existing users to upgrade to something like that, it is most likely going to be a steal. With D* to get central management with a 5-tuner DVR, the cost ranges from free to $500 all depending mostly on the luck of the draw when you call them.

For new customers, it is also a great deal. Hopper + 4 Joeys for no upfront money! With D*, if you want the HR34, that's $99 upfront then 3 more receivers free.

I agree, for current customers when you compare to other companies, for upgrades I think it's a pretty good upgrade price

Who would have thought "Agressive" would have become such a buzzword :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts