DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

Not at all. From the very first postings about what the fees and such might be, there was never a doubt in my mind that just like now, the first box has no monthly charge and all others have some charge. And that is exactly what happened, shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

And assuming that they will upgrade current users at $100/location is pretty darned aggressive in and of itself. It puts all new gear in your house, gives whole home dvr with central management point (will be better when 2 hoppers can integrate). If you've never had whole home dvrs, the central location of the various lists and management is really a nice way to have things.

Compared to the competition for existing users to upgrade to something like that, it is most likely going to be a steal. With D* to get central management with a 5-tuner DVR, the cost ranges from free to $500 all depending mostly on the luck of the draw when you call them.

For new customers, it is also a great deal. Hopper + 4 Joeys for no upfront money! With D*, if you want the HR34, that's $99 upfront then 3 more receivers free.

It wouldn't matter if Dish had it completely for free including the programming, some people here would still be griping and complaining about it. they are becoming at least as negative on anything and everything Dish as Claude has become...

Last edited:
It wouldn't matter if Dish had it completely for free including the programming, MikeD-C05 would still be griping and complaining about it. He's at least as negative on anything and everything Dish as Claude has become...possibly a bit more.

The only think negative is your attitude towards me. If you don't like my posts then don't read them. I'm entitled to my opinion on the FEES, just like you are entitled to yours. I don't attack you personally in my posts ,either directly or indirectly in other posts, why should you do so towards me?:mad:

The only think negative is your attitude towards me. If you don't like my posts then don't read them. I'm entitled to my opinion on the FEES, just like you are entitled to yours. I don't attack you personally in my posts ,either directly or indirectly in other posts, why should you do so towards me?:mad:

And my opinion is that from your posts here and in other threads, there isn't anything you like about Dish (including BB), not just the fees. Just making an observation that I have noticed. If you don't like or agree with that observation, then you are more than welcome not to read them. And my guess is that I'm not the only person that has noticed. But since you feel you were personally attacked, I have gone ahead and amended my previous post...
I guess I can understand your uncomfortableness of feeling attacked, I'm glad no one on this site has ever attacked me directly or indirectly (or others for that matter) for defending Dish because I like them and their product. :rolleyes:

Some people think the world owes them. Unfortunately, this attitude is growing.

Some people are very obtuse in their thought processes and can't see the big picture . I am negative about the new Fees announced for the hopper because of the following:

1. DISH once again has chosen to price their new Joeys higher than they need to ,in order to make more profits. IF they chose to price them at $5.00 per Joey and maybe the first one FREE or included in the price of the Hopper, this would make the hopper system attractive to existing subs and attract new ones too.

2. Attracting more subs is essential if DISH is to Grow as a company and stay viable as a future provider of our continued satellite service. I care about DISH staying in business and growing their base of subs.

3. This system could of been the turn around in growing their sub count past the 13million or so they have been stuck at for the last 4 - 5 years. If it was priced at a more reasonable price ,it would of been just what they needed to do that.

I may seem negative because I have been with DISH over 15 years and seen them go from a company that did anything they could to grow their business to one that seems to be only obsessed with growing their profits by charging an ever increasing group of made up , charge it because we can, FEES. Go back to 2000 when Charlie would brag about DISH allowing you to make recordings on their pvrs for FREE compared to the other guys (Directv) who charged over $9.00 a month to do the same thing. This was the biggest growth period in DISH 's history. They added more subs back then ,than any other time in their history. Their additional receiver fees were $5.00 or $4.99 , regardless of what you had. They had NO DVR fees of any kind on the 501/508/721 pvrs. AEP was the best deal in town. Then Charlie started to get greedy or hired some accounting bean counters who started to fool with the FEE structure a bit. We got Dvr FEEs PER Dvr receiver. WE got $6.00 additional receiver fees on SD and $7.00 on HD additional receiver fees. Then you could escape the dvr fees on the additional receiver fees by subbing to AEP. Good deal and you even got a $5.00 discount. Then that deal was done away with and it was followed by the infamous Additional Receiver HIke of Feb. of 2010. Anywhere from $7.00 - $17.00 for different receivers on your account. Then to top off it all off the 922 debacle that we are all to familiar with . Rushed to market with all it's promised features not working. Then the Sling extender that was promised to work with it, never comes to market. The cherry on top , the 922 is removed from the market entirely for "software problems" with the blockbuster@home app .

Now I have invested in DISH for years. I bought EVERY receiver I have on all 3 of my DISH accounts. I install the dishes myself on all 3 accounts. I have paid to upgrade to the latest and greatest receivers all these 15 years. I am simply tired of this company putting their profits before their customer's needs . Yes it is wonderful that they are making increasing profits as a company ,but on a continuing decreasing amount of subs every quarter. I want to see DISH grow and add subs so they can have more bargaining power in terms of contracts for carriage of channels we all want. The more subs you have the more power have to get the best deal. As I have said before DISH has stayed under the 14 million mark for years , losing and gaining the same million or so subs. This is not sustainable over the long term. Now if DISH is only interested in short term profits and is interested in selling the company to the highest bidder, it makes perfect sense to keep creating and hiking the price of their made up , charge it because we can , DISH FEES. Then you can sell your company for the highest price.

I had hoped Charlie was dedicated to growing his company and being in business and long time, in fact changing and adapting to the needs of their subs and keeping the company viable. This latest move on the hopper /joey system pricing proves to me that once again they are putting short term profits over the need for growth for long term viability. And if you look at this in the bigger economic picture, we are looking at $5.00 gallon gas by this summer and next year the Tax cuts we have had in place for over 10 years ,and the pay roll tax cut we have been enjoying for the last year and will continue through this year, ALL END at the end of this year. This will feel like a large tax hike all at one time come January 1st of 2013. Do you really think people will keep paying up to $31.00 a month in equipment FEES a month BEFORE programming is factored in ,when the giant tax hike hits their pocket books? Bad timing on DISH's part and once again will end in a debacle like the 922. I don't think DISH will recover from this gamble on putting their short term profits over their long term growth strategy.

That is why I am negative about the FEES that DISH continues to add and increase on their equipment. I see the big picture and how it all relates to the customers pocket books and to the economic climate we all live in. Can you see the big picture now too?

Last edited:
Some people are very obtuse in their thought processes and can't see the big picture . I am negative about the new Fees announced for the hopper because of the following:

1. DISH once again has chosen to price their new Joeys higher than they need to ,in order to make more profits. IF they chose to price them at $5.00 per Joey and maybe the first one FREE or included in the price of the Hopper, this would make the hopper system attractive to existing subs and attract new ones too.

2. Attracting more subs is essential if DISH is to Grow as a company and stay viable as a future provider of our continued satellite service. I care about DISH staying in business and growing their base of subs.

3. This system could of been the turn around in growing their sub count past the 13million or so they have been stuck at for the last 4 - 5 years. If it was priced at a more reasonable price ,it would of been just what they needed to do that.

I may seem negative because I have been with DISH over 15 years and seen them go from a company that did anything they could to grow their business to one that seems to be only obsessed with growing their profits by charging an ever increasing group of made up , charge it because we can, FEES. Go back to 2000 when Charlie would brag about DISH allowing you to make recordings on their pvrs for FREE compared to the other guys (Directv) who charged over $9.00 a month to do the same thing. This was the biggest growth period in DISH 's history. They added more subs back then ,than any other time in their history. Their additional receiver fees were $5.00 or $4.99 , regardless of what you had. They had NO DVR fees of any kind on the 501/508/721 pvrs. AEP was the best deal in town. Then Charlie started to get greedy or hired some accounting bean counters who started to fool with the FEE structure a bit. We got Dvr FEEs PER Dvr receiver. WE got $6.00 additional receiver fees on SD and $7.00 on HD additional receiver fees. Then you could escape the dvr fees on the additional receiver fees by subbing to AEP. Good deal and you even got a $5.00 discount. Then that deal was done away with and it was followed by the infamous Additional Receiver HIke of Feb. of 2010. Anywhere from $7.00 - $17.00 for different receivers on your account. Then to top off it all off the 922 debacle that we are all to familiar with . Rushed to market with all it's promised features not working. Then the Sling extender that was promised to work with it, never comes to market. The cherry on top , the 922 is removed from the market entirely for "software problems" with the blockbuster@home app .

Now I have invested in DISH for years. I bought EVERY receiver I have on all 3 of my DISH accounts. I install the dishes myself on all 3 accounts. I have paid to upgrade to the latest and greatest receivers all these 15 years. I am simply tired of this company putting their profits before their customer's needs . Yes it is wonderful that they are making increasing profits as a company ,but on a continuing decreasing amount of subs every quarter. I want to see DISH grow and add subs so they can have more bargaining power in terms of contracts for carriage of channels we all want. The more subs you have the more power have to get the best deal. As I have said before DISH has stayed under the 14 million mark for years , losing and gaining the same million or so subs. This is not sustainable over the long term. Now if DISH is only interested in short term profits and is interested in selling the company to the highest bidder, it makes perfect sense to keep creating and hiking the price of their made up , charge it because we can , DISH FEES. Then you can sell your company for the highest price.

I had hoped Charlie was dedicated to growing his company and being in business and long time, in fact changing and adapting to the needs of their subs and keeping the company viable. This latest move on the hopper /joey system pricing proves to me that once again they are putting short term profits over the need for growth for long term viability. And if you look at this in the bigger economic picture, we are looking at $5.00 gallon gas by this summer and next year the Tax cuts we have had in place for over 10 years ,and the pay roll tax cut we have been enjoying for the last year and will continue through this year, ALL END at the end of this year. This will feel like a large tax hike all at one time come January 1st of 2013. Do you really think people will keep paying up to $31.00 a month in equipment FEES a month BEFORE programming is factored in ,when the giant tax hike hits their pocket books? Bad timing on DISH's part and once again will end in a debacle like the 922. I don't think DISH will recover from this gamble on putting their short term profits over their long term growth strategy.

That is why I am negative about the FEES that DISH continues to add and increase on their equipment. I see the big picture and how it all relates to the customers pocket books and to the economic climate we all live in. Can you see the big picture now too?

Okay, so I am sure you are going to think that I am attacking but I want to seriously ask a question about your post. I really am not trying to get "into anything or start anything" but want to ask because it was the first thing I thought after reading your post, and I realize that your statement is a generalization and not directed at a specific person but...
There are people here who have said that they don't feel like the fees are out of line including Scott for the Hopper/Joey product, so would you include him in your statement, "Some people are very obtuse in their thought processes and can't see the big picture..."
Again, just asking the question.

It wouldn't matter if Dish had it completely for free including the programming, some people here would still be griping and complaining about it. they are becoming at least as negative on anything and everything Dish as Claude has become...

meanwhile Dish could raise its fees even higher and some people would go "oh well" and Dish does no wrong

meanwhile Dish could raise its fees even higher and some people would go "oh well" and Dish does no wrong

Gee, wonder who that was directed at!?! :rolleyes:
Oh and Ice, don't forget to include KAB on that "direct or indirect attack"...
Hold on, I want to quote someone directly... "If you don't like my posts then don't read them. I'm entitled to my opinion..."

MikeD-C05 , I agree

I read your post and the first thing that came to mind is APPLE. Apple in how they did it with Music comparing Dish to how they COULD do it with movies and or TV.

If Dish were to act more like Apple and have low priced PPV using there BlockBuster on demand system (remember Apples 99 cent music) AND Low Priced SAT receivers fees (think Apples $99 Apple TV)

If Dish used the Apple business model, Dish could then become like Apple with there profits would be through the roof (due to high volume) making DIsh one of the Top crossing Billion Dollar Company in the country.

In other words if Dish had super low price PPV and low Price Equipment and subscription fees they could have 60 Billion customers like Apple. There profits would be through the roof based on that volume.

I still think there is hope for Dish IF they make there business model just like Apples.

Instead I fear Apple will soon move in using there Apple Model for TV and Movies pushing Dish Networks Subscribers numbers even lower as they are were late.
Maybe Apple will buy DirecTV or Dish?

Gee, wonder who that was directed at!?! :rolleyes:
I never said you. I was responding to the post. Now if you want to assume you are part of it, well then thats your option

Oh and Ice, don't forget to include KAB on that "direct or indirect attack"...
I think its well known we arent chummy chummy. Kab is the one who posted publicly that he doesnt like me but I really don't care.

Hold on, I want to quote someone directly... "If you don't like my posts then don't read them. I'm entitled to my opinion..."

**ring ring**
"Hello this is pot"
"Hi this is kettle" ;)

I agree with MikeD. I believe Dish has made a major marketing mistake to grow short term profits. In the USA if you do not grow you will eventually go out of business or be acquired. Aging ownership leads to a strategy to be acquired.

When I saw the first pricing sheet rumor that had a Hopper tied to a Joey for $7 , it made aggressive marketing sense. A hopper/joey would come free as the first unit. This would give all the 722 or 622 owners the same cost with the advantage of 2nd tv hd and all the other perks Scott mentioned. 2 hopper/joey combos would give the 2 VIP receiver owners an easy choice switch for a discount. What a way to reward their best customers. all the negativity I see in the recent posts would dissappear and that woul incentivise all other Dish customers to upgrade and all Directv customers to switch. But no Dish blew that marketing aggressiveness.

MikeD-C05 , I agree

I read your post and the first thing that came to mind is APPLE. Apple in how they did it with Music comparing Dish to how they COULD do it with movies and or TV.

If Dish were to act more like Apple and have low priced PPV using there BlockBuster on demand system (remember Apples 99 cent music) AND Low Priced SAT receivers fees (think Apples $99 Apple TV)

If Dish used the Apple business model, Dish could then become like Apple with there profits would be through the roof (due to high volume) making DIsh one of the Top crossing Billion Dollar Company in the country.

In other words if Dish had super low price PPV and low Price Equipment and subscription fees they could have 60 Billion customers like Apple. There profits would be through the roof based on that volume.

I still think there is hope for Dish IF they make there business model just like Apples.

Instead I fear Apple will soon move in using there Apple Model for TV and Movies pushing Dish Networks Subscribers numbers even lower as they are were late.
Maybe Apple will buy DirecTV or Dish?

Exactly you see the big picture. Not many on these boards see it. They are either DISH haters or DISH Pom Pom waivers. I want the best for this company ,but I also want the best for the customers ,like Charlie Ergen himself once espoused was his company philosophy . To be the best company you have to be able to take criticism from your subs , who PAY your salary. Otherwise the subs leave till there is no company anymore. Then all the FEES in the world aren't going to help keep you a float as a company.

Last edited:
I agree with MikeD. I believe Dish has made a major marketing mistake to grow short term profits. In the USA if you do not grow you will eventually go out of business or be acquired. Aging ownership leads to a strategy to be acquired.

When I saw the first pricing sheet rumor that had a Hopper tied to a Joey for $7 , it made aggressive marketing sense. A hopper/joey would come free as the first unit. This would give all the 722 or 622 owners the same cost with the advantage of 2nd tv hd and all the other perks Scott mentioned. 2 hopper/joey combos would give the 2 VIP receiver owners an easy choice switch for a discount. What a way to reward their best customers. all the negativity I see in the recent posts would dissappear and that woul incentivise all other Dish customers to upgrade and all Directv customers to switch. But no Dish blew that marketing aggressiveness.

You got it . This is exactly what I was talking about. They are putting their short term profits with their FEE structure over the long term viability as a company. A golden opportunity to take Directv subs , make existing subs upgrade , and attract even more subs to their company, all blown over this decision.

Okay, so I am sure you are going to think that I am attacking but I want to seriously ask a question about your post. I really am not trying to get "into anything or start anything" but want to ask because it was the first thing I thought after reading your post, and I realize that your statement is a generalization and not directed at a specific person but...
There are people here who have said that they don't feel like the fees are out of line including Scott for the Hopper/Joey product, so would you include him in your statement, "Some people are very obtuse in their thought processes and can't see the big picture..."
Again, just asking the question.

NO, I wouldn't include them in that same group. I see them as less experienced with DISH and their long history of made up, charge it because we can, DISH FEES. They just haven't reached their point of diminishing returns yet. I reached mine two years ago when they hiked their additional receiver fees. The 922 debacle and now the latest fee structure for the new hopper /joey system is just the cherry on top .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)