DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

KAB
Bedroom an SD set? You can get a cheap RF modulator to connect to the Joey's composite outputs

Yes the spare bedroom is SD. How would I connect the RF modulator?​
The RWY composite outs connect to the RF modulator. From it, coax to the Bedroom TV.

You need to stop comparing apples to oranges. Yes, a second H/J HD would cost $4.00 more than a 211. BUT, you would have to shell out $40.00 (10 mos of $4) to enable it's DVR function, which you CAN NOT share with a dual DVR. So, after 10 months, is it worth $4.00 more to have total integration...PTAT ....slick UI, etc? Apparently not to you. Others, yes.
??? Not once did I mention a 211 in my post you quoted. Stop throwing apples in with my oranges! :p

Besides, comparing the prices for a 722+211(3 tv outputs) to a single hopper/joey(2 tv outputs) IS an apples-to-oranges comparison.

The first line is a good comparison. Your comparison does not take into account that with a H/J, you lose an SD output for that $4 increase.

I think that is a fair comment. I'm not saying what is worth what, but to compare, using a 722 and 211K you would have two HD outputs and an additional SD output. Could be for a third TV, use with a slingbox, whatever. With the Hopper and a Joey it's two outputs in HD, but with alot of other advancements, for $4 more.

Here's the problem, two different systems for two different needs. How many people have asked about getting HD to a second TV? Alot. Well this does it. And it does it for $4 more than using a 211K, but gives full DVR, seeing all the tuners, using common EHD, etc etc... So to me you are getting something for that $4.
Yes you are losing an SD output also but if your not interested in the new features and need a third TV in SD, stick with what now exists, a 722 and 211K or 612....
I don't see how any of that equals you should get the first Joey free when we don't get a second TV in HD now for free.

??? Not once did I mention a 211 in my post you quoted. Stop throwing apples in with my oranges! :p

You should have so I did it for you. It's the only/cheapest way to have independent viewing on a 2nd HDTV in the current world.

Here's the problem, two different systems for two different needs. How many people have asked about getting HD to a second TV? Alot. Well this does it. And it does it for $4 more than using a 211K, but gives full DVR, seeing all the tuners, using common EHD, etc etc... So to me you are getting something for that $4.
Yes you are losing an SD output also but if your not interested in the new features and need a third TV in SD, stick with what now exists, a 722 and 211K or 612....
I don't see how any of that equals you should get the first Joey free when we don't get a second TV in HD now for free.
Fair point.

Hell, I'd consider the $7 first Joey fee reasonable for the reasons you mentioned (seeing all tuners, common EHD, HD to 2nd tv, etc) if they only charged the $4 whole home fee for more than 1 hopper, or more than 2 TVs. 1 or 2 TV integrated setups are not whole-home now with current technology, it shouldn't be with Hopper.

I know it seems I'm squabbling over a measley $4 or $7, but it's the principal of the matter.

HD DVR options to all televisions :

One television & 2 tuners needed
two 211's = $7 <stupid>
612/722 = $6
Hopper = $10

Two televisions & 2 tuners needed

two 211's ($40 EHD fee) = $7 additional outlet fee
722+211($40 EHD fee) ($6 + $7) = $13
722+612 ($6+$10) = $16
Hopper+Joey ($10+$7) = $17

Two televisions and 4 tuners needed

two 612's ($6+$10) = $16
two 722's ($6+$17) = $23
two Hoppers ($10+$7) = $17

Three televisions and three tuners needed

three 211's ($40 EHD fees) ($0+$7+$7) = $14
Hopper + 2 Joeys ($99 upgrade fee) ($10+$7+$7) = $24
2 Hoppers + 1 Joey ($298 upgrade fees) ($10+7+$7) = $24 - more tuners gained for $199

Three televisions and six tuners needed

three 612's ($6+$10+$10) = $26
three 722's ($6+$17+$17) = $40
two hoppers + 1 Joey ($10+$7+$7) = $24

Four televisions and six tuners

four 612's (6+10+10+10) = 36 <you are getting two more tuners than Hopper>
four 722's (6+17+17+17) = 57 <you are getting two more HD tuners and four more SD tv outputs than Hopper>
two Hoppers + two Joeys (10+7+7+7) = $31

HD DVR to one tv + SD DVR to one tv

722 = $6
Hopper + Joey (10+7) = $17 <gained one tuner vs 722>

HD DVR to two tv's + SD DVR to one tv

three 211's (40 EHD fees) (0+7+7) = 14
two 722's (6+17) = 23
722+612 (6+10) = 17
Hopper + 2 Joeys (10+7+7) = 24 <lost one tuner vs two 722's>
two Hoppers + 1 Joey (10+7+7) = 24 <gained two tuners vs two 722's>

HD DVR to two tv's + SD DVR to two tv's

two 722's (6+17) = 23
one Hopper + three Joeys (10+7+7+7) = 31 <LOL one less tuner than Joeys +8 more vs two 722's = STUPID>
two Hoppers + 2 Joeys (10+7+7+7) = 31 <two more tuners vs two 722's>

CONCLUSION:

For those needing HD to one television, the 722 is the best deal as it gives you the option for another television hookup perhaps in a bedroom in the future or a guest room that may not be used much. If you will always have just one television then the Hopper may be worth the extra $4 for the extra tuners and functionality for you for what you get.

For those needing HD to more than one television, the 211's are the best bang for the buck if you have few timer conflicts or don't want to watch something live while recording something. If you do then Hopper+Joey is the best choice for you.

Anybody that only has SD television or does not care about HD quality in additional rooms then the Hopper+Joey system is not the best system for you. You will be paying a premium to use the H+J so you need to evaluate whether PTA and sharing of the recordings in multiple rooms are worth the extra cost along with the other additional functions of the unit.

For some, having SD in a secondary room even if they have an HD tv may not be a big deal if the television is smaller as the picture quality may not be as noticeable to them. If you are thinking about upgrading to HD in those secondary rooms in the future and want that HD experience then it may be worth the extra money in fees for you to go to the Hopper + Joey system if HD is important to you.

Last edited:
HD DVR options to all televisions :

Two televisions & 2 tuners needed

two 211's ($40x2=$80 EHD fee) = $7 additional outlet fee
722+612 ($6+$10) = $16
Hopper+Joey ($10+$7) = $17
Nice breakdown, but you left out:

Nice breakdown, but you left out:

Also you need to buy the EHD to use with the 211 for say $100 if prices come back down. When you amortize its cost over the projected life of the drive, if you are lucky 36 months which is $2.77 a month or $4.16 if it lasts only 24 months. The Seagate drive I had died after 14 months. Many manufacturers have cut their warranty back to 12 months.

Also you need to buy the EHD to use with the 211 for say $100 if prices come back down. When you amortize its cost over the projected life of the drive, if you are lucky 36 months which is $2.77 a month or $4.16 if it lasts only 24 months. The Seagate drive I had died after 14 months. Many manufacturers have cut their warranty back to 12 months.
Well, that's because you used a Seagate. I have hdd's (both internal and external) that are older than 5 years old (some a lot older) and I don't have any problems with them. A good quality ehd will outlast some of the crap hdd's many dvr manufacturers use.

If we figure in an average cost at $2-3 per month for cost and maintenance of the hard drive then the savings are not as much but most hard drives last longer than 3-4 years don't they?

I didn't realize you could connect an OTA tuner to a 211. Pretty nice that you can record two things at once with a 211. Can you connect only one OTA tuner to the 211?

I think that Scott's use of the word 'aggressive' made some have unrealistic expectations. I think the fees are fair and competitive.
"Aggressive" was Dish's word to explain their prices. Scott just relayed that message to us. I feel that it is aggressive in some ways. For a new customer to get a 4 room hook up in all HD for free is a pretty big deal. What other companies are doing that for free?

If we figure in an average cost at $2-3 per month for cost and maintenance of the hard drive then the savings are not as much but most hard drives last longer than 3-4 years don't they? I didn't realize you could connect an OTA tuner to a 211. Pretty nice that you can record two things at once with a 211. Can you connect only one OTA tuner to the 211?
The 211/211K has an integrated single ota tuner.

"Aggressive" was Dish's word to explain their prices. Scott just relayed that message to us. I feel that it is aggressive in some ways. For a new customer to get a 4 room hook up in all HD for free is a pretty big deal. What other companies are doing that for free?
If by free, you mean no start-up fees for equipment and not stb fees, then every cableco in the country does this. And after just visiting DirectTV's site, they do too.