DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Yeah, I have to think about this too. We have a total of 4 tuners in our house with the 722k/222k setup. We will lose one with a 1H/2J setup. If I get an additional hopper I won't be able to see the content on both until the software update if/when it happens. Plus, I need the OTA module for my locals in HD which won't be out on launch day (hint to DISH, work on getting more locals in HD!).

Do I upgrade now, and then replace a joey with a hopper later, or do I wait?

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Yeah, I have to think about this too. We have a total of 4 tuners in our house with the 722k/222k setup. We will lose one with a 1H/2J setup. If I get an additional hopper I won't be able to see the content on both until the software update if/when it happens. Plus, I need the OTA module for my locals in HD which won't be out on launch day (hint to DISH, work on getting more locals in HD!).

Do I upgrade now, and then replace a joey with a hopper later, or do I wait?
If you like what you have now then keep it, you can always upgrade at a later time. :)

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
I'm like the majority of people here in that I feel a WHDVR fee should include 2 tv's in it. Charging that fee and then imposing additional fees for more than one one tv shows that Dish is just continuing it's "more fees=better" mentality. Someone could get three 211K's, pay the $40 dvr fee, add 1tb hdd's to each unit and have a makeshift 3 sat/3 ota tuner WHDVR. Just switch the hdd's from unit to unit. And that would be $14. Sure it isn't for everybody, but it saves $10 and you wouldn't need another account for a Tailgater. I was ready to switch from a 722K that feeds two hdtv's to a H/J if it was only the $10 fee. $4 extra isn't a lot to go from 1HD/1SD to 2 HD receivers. But $11? That isn't really worth it. I guess I'll go with an earlier plan of getting the ota tuner and a sling adaptor. I'll have four tuners and get HD to my second set through a pc that's connected to it.And everyone likes to compare Dish stb fees with cableco stb fees. Well when the sat companies allow "clear QAM' or "cablecard" solutions without full stb fees, then we can compare apples to apples.

Welcome to satelliteguys, fellow Michigander. I think your setup is ideal for some people, but for others, they'll think it'll be a hassle to move the EHDs all the time. I know it wouldn't work in my household, but it could work for yours.

powerhouse1960

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 29, 2009
indiana
The Hopper platform is the future of the company, look for them to move over so that all new installs get Hoppers and Joey's. They will get the Hopper system right... because they have to.

But what if they can not make it work
direct currently does not have an integrated to do list that tell me its not easy to do.
and since dish is releasing the hopper with out it that tells me they do not know how to do it at this time.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I wish the fees were a bit lower, but I have a 722k and a 622 (single mode) My bill will go up a whopping $1. Wow. Not sure if I can afford that. :rolleyes:

Wouldnt it be more?
Curently you have a $17 and a $6 fee (extra reciever + DVR) for $23
Hopper + 3 Joeys would be $31 ($6 DVR + $4 MRV + $21 for 3 joeys). Even if you went with 2 hoppers only one is free. The other has a fee

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
But what if they can not make it work
life is short don't worry so much. :D

Kidding aside they KNOW it works, that have crudely coded it and proved that it works. The issue is polishing it all up so it gives a good customer experience... how do you display the 6 tuners on 1 screen? How do you show the DVR recordings from both Hoppers? This is what they need to do.. but instead of worrying about that it was worrying to get it out the door since the majority of customers would be 1 hopper households anyways. :)

Mochuf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 16, 2012
Michigan
Welcome to satelliteguys, fellow Michigander. I think your setup is ideal for some people, but for others, they'll think it'll be a hassle to move the EHDs all the time. I know it wouldn't work in my household, but it could work for yours.
Hey you're welcome. I wouldn't go with a three 211K set-up myself because I only have the two HDTV's. But I could go with two and and pay only an extra $1 to get HD on both sets. But I think I could work with the Sling Adaptor because I have a gaming rig with an ota tuner already connected to the second set. The only hassle would be having to go to Dish Online to watch.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
So it's cheaper for me to keep my 622 and 722. The picture posted earlier say 7.00 for each additional joey. That reads as one or more joeys have no fees. Such seems not to be the case.

"additional" is the word that caught my eye too. It's typical though that there would be confusing wording like that in Dish's docs. Almost like they do it on purpose to screw with us.... ;)

Laddyboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2006
Central IL/SW FL/Big Island
They are in line with the other providers. I never thought the first Joey would be free. I never though Dish would undercut the other guys.

I thought they might in order to keep the 2 TVs with one piece of hardware option they've had with the ViP line. One receiver on the account served two TVs independently although one was SD. The Hopper system fee structure does away with that as a $7 Joey seems needed for the second TV. The people with multiple receivers will like it but those of us with a couple of receivers are actually going to pay more, it would seem. I think not including the first Joey with the fee and the lack of integration of Hoppers makes the 5-tuner Direct HR34 look a bit more attractive than it might otherwise.

Ganthet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 29, 2006
But a much better system, with a lot more features. Its up to the customer to decide what they want and no one is forcing anyone to upgrade. :)

I think that hits the nail on the head. Personally I won't use many of the apps like Facebook and Pandora, but the features of HD on all TV's and a unified recording storage are worth it. I've currently got a 622 and 211+EHD so my bill will go up a few buck. However I recently cancelled the Disc portion of my Netflix account thanks to BBMP which basically saves me the monthly cost to go to hopper. I'm just hoping to be in the coveted A group when I order my upgrade. That would make the wife extremely happy.

rogerpl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 7, 2007
Northern Vt.
I have 622 and a 722 covering 3 tvs for 23.00, a hopper and two joeys would cost 24.00. since i have only 2 HDTVs and there is no OTA yet i'll wait. Again the graphic posted earlier said 7.00 for each additional joey intimating that one is free of fees.

Lt Disher

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 26, 2009
Iowa
So where is the savings?

They are now charging a $4 whole home DVR Fee, and $7 for the first Joey Unit.

So if you have a 722/222 Setup, and switch to a Hopper/Joey/Joey/Joey type setup, your fees now increase $11 and your giving up 1 tuner.

Less Tuners, more monthly Fees. Looks like a good deal to me.

There are features and speed issues that might compensate for that. Your attitude doesn't surprise me tho. Hope you sell of ton of these.:)

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
When I cover the retailer chats, I try never to mention the A B and C customer thing as its something behind the scenes that a customer should not worry about. Telling them about this grading system (which is based on numerous favtors) should not be mentioned because it upsets folks as all of us think we are A grade customers when by whatever system DISH uses says we are not.

For me I would say for everyone if you want to upgrade expect to pay $100 to do it. Some lucky folks may qualify as an A customer and those folks will get it done for free, but A customers are very far and few between.

Is $100 fair? I would say yes as not only are you getting the newest state of the art hardware, but you have to have you current wiring in your house reworked so that it works with the MoCA setup that the Hopper and Joey uses. I know when you go to work in the morning you want to get paid for your work, we these techs that go out to do these upgrades like to get paid too.... so again I consider $100 fair for what your getting.

Thats my feeling on it.

Sorry Scott. I never should have mentioned the "plans" at all but it's so hard explaining the upgrade prices to people without bringing that up. I wish Dish could come up with a better system. Dish will never give an exact answer as to how they determine what a customer rates as. Some of the factors are how long you've been a customer, if payments have been on time, level of programming and equipment.

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
When I cover the retailer chats, I try never to mention the A B and C customer thing as its something behind the scenes that a customer should not worry about. Telling them about this grading system (which is based on numerous favtors) should not be mentioned because it upsets folks as all of us think we are A grade customers when by whatever system DISH uses says we are not.

It is kind of like the phrase "with approved credit" Everyone thinks they have 750+ credit scores, but in reality do not.

powerhouse1960

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 29, 2009
indiana
life is short don't worry so much. :D

Kidding aside they KNOW it works, that have crudely coded it and proved that it works. The issue is polishing it all up so it gives a good customer experience... how do you display the 6 tuners on 1 screen? How do you show the DVR recordings from both Hoppers? This is what they need to do.. but instead of worrying about that it was worrying to get it out the door since the majority of customers would be 1 hopper households anyways. :)
People say I worry to much and that worries me:)

Hikerdave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 25, 2007
A couple of questions:
How are these installed? I think I read they work over Cat 5/6, so do I need to install the cable or will they do it, and if so, how much for the install? Will the Hopper read all the recorded items I have on my external HD I currently have attached to my 722?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts