Dish Network Retailer Chat Recap - July 10, 2007

Well 1st I think HBO has made some changes on their end dealing with MPEG4. As far as CinemaxHD and other Networks Dish might be moving them over on their end to MPEG4. But before you can really take advantage of MPEG4 Dish and the Network or particular channel must also be using MPEG4 on their end. Right now many channels are not on MPEP4 but are in the process of switching to it. So in the long run Dish should be fine but like everyone else you must wait on the Network to get their stuff taking care of as well. :)

I just upgraded to a 211 will I be able to use the disholine system as described in this thread.

What would you want to do with the 211? Scott has already said that it won't be until December that external storage can be hooked up to a 211 to be used as a DVR. So.. any remote DVR programming functionality on DishOnline (whenever it is enabled) would not be available on a 211 until it can act like a DVR with external storage. Downloading over your ethernet connection to the 211? Sounds like another need (and wait) for external storage functionality.

I'm not sure what you want to be able to do... things discussed as far as new functionality really only apply to the 622 initially.

I will be AT LEAST December before the 211 can support an external hard drive. As we all know delays happen.

Lets hope they make it for December. :D

I will be AT LEAST December before the 211 can support an external hard drive. As we all know delays happen.

Lets hope they make it for December. :D

Im just glad we are close to getting it on the 622. Ive got close to maxing mine out a few times with my MonHD and HDNETMov's recordings. With the HD channels coming in late Aug, Ill need some more space for sure.

Since no one else wants to tackle this one…

A hub is the simplest device – whatever comes in one port is immediately transmitted out all of the ports (including its own).

A switch has some intelligence built in. It captures the incoming packets and tries to send them to the correct output port based on previous packets received. Two (or more) separate communications may be held at the same time through a switch.

A router connects 2 or more separate networks. It may be static like the WRT-54G where you configure it to know about its internal network and external network, or it may be dynamic sharing routing tables to find the fastest and least cost path through the Internet (i.e. at your ISP). The WRT-54G is actually a router connected to a hub.

One caution – 2 hubs communicating at 100 MBS should be no more than 5 meters (15 feet apart). If you have a problem, you may need to substitute a switch for one of the hubs.

If you would have clicked the link (or even realized it was a link), you would have realized that it was an answer to a previous question.

But your answer was good, too.

Since no one else wants to tackle this one…

A hub is the simplest device – whatever comes in one port is immediately transmitted out all of the ports (including its own).

A switch has some intelligence built in. It captures the incoming packets and tries to send them to the correct output port based on previous packets received. Two (or more) separate communications may be held at the same time through a switch.

A router connects 2 or more separate networks. It may be static like the WRT-54G where you configure it to know about its internal network and external network, or it may be dynamic sharing routing tables to find the fastest and least cost path through the Internet (i.e. at your ISP). The WRT-54G is actually a router connected to a hub.

One caution – 2 hubs communicating at 100 MBS should be no more than 5 meters (15 feet apart). If you have a problem, you may need to substitute a switch for one of the hubs.

Wainwright: Thanks for the answer to my answer. ;) Guess I should have made my post a little more obvious....:eek:

NightRyder

the more coming in mid sept, is a sweet bonus to all of this. maybe we will see some scifi hd, usa hd, fx hd, and tbs hd?

the more coming in mid sept, is a sweet bonus to all of this. maybe we will see some scifi hd, usa hd, fx hd, and tbs hd?

IF they would add those channels I would really like that. I actualy watch those channels quite a lot. The other channels they will add in August are nice but they aren't as popular as the ones you mention they might add.

Sci-fi and USA -HD were announced for early 2008 I believe.

I think the only other addition in September we'll probably see is TBS-HD.

Well and History but that's already been announced.

Unfortunately, I must disagree.

If one could compare the same program recorded off of the old HDNET from the summer of 2005 vs a current MPEG4 channel, you would see a significant fall-off in PQ. We're not talking about something being 99% as good, I'd say the current MPEG4 channels are about 75%-80% as good as the old HDNET.

Ummm...HDNet isn't currently an MPEG4 channel. It's been downrezzed to 1440x1080, and I'm not sure of the bandwidth, however there is no MPEG4 HDNet to compare to the 2005 HDNet on E*. I agree that the current MPEG2 channels don't look as sharp as they once did, however the channels that have converted over to MPEG4 look better than they did at MPEG2.

Ummm...HDNet isn't currently an MPEG4 channel. It's been downrezzed to 1440x1080, and I'm not sure of the bandwidth, however there is no MPEG4 HDNet to compare to the 2005 HDNet on E*. .

I didn't say that HDNET was now MPEG4. I was comparing present MPEG4 channels to the mid-2005 HDNET MPEG2 picture quality standard and stating that I feel they fall substantially short of that standard.

Yeah well until the Networks gets all of their hardware on MPEG4 that is when things will be allot better. For now many of them have not made the switch yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)