Dish network retention offers?

getstuff4less

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
CA
I am currently out of contract and was wondering if I threatened to cancel could I get an offer similar to the new customer offer. I would like the hopper/Joey set up, but don't really need dish as I have used it less and less since getting a free Roku from dish last year.

I did the same thing for a friend and she gave me the Roku free since I got her a credit. In addition isn't the Hopper Joey setup cheaper than having a dual tuner 722 and a couple other TVs? Maybe a Dish network rep can give me an offer or some of you guys got one and post it here. I understand that I will probably have to make an new contract in order to get something like the new customer offer.

Give it a shot. Why not try to get a good deal. Do what's best for you. Try contacting DIRT. They are amazing!

I am currently out of contract and was wondering if I threatened to cancel could I get an offer similar to the new customer offer. I would like the hopper/Joey set up, but don't really need dish as I have used it less and less since getting a free Roku from dish last year.

I did the same thing for a friend and she gave me the Roku free since I got her a credit. In addition isn't the Hopper Joey setup cheaper than having a dual tuner 722 and a couple other TVs? Maybe a Dish network rep can give me an offer or some of you guys got one and post it here. I understand that I will probably have to make an new contract in order to get something like the new customer offer.

1. No, you won't be able to get anything near a new customer offer.

2. Hopper/Joey setup does cost more per month, just FYI. May get the upgrade for little or no cost, depending on your customer status (paying on time, amount of bill, and other things that are unknown). Upgrading to a higher receiver family does require a new 24 month commitment, but as mentioned above, you may be able to swing some discounts, but not as much as a new customer offer.

What is your current setup? We could let you know the cost difference between the 722 and the Hopper. Summary is this...722 is free for first two TVs. The 722 has a $7 DVR fee. For a 1 Hopper/1 Joey system, your DVR fee will be $12 (a $5 increase), and the Joey is $7, total increase from a 722 to a 1 Hopper/1 Joey system is $12/month

If you're lucky "E" might give you movie coupons to stay like me. I left "E" after 7 years of subscribing America's Everything Package (paying on time), due to poor Customer Service, constant billing errors, etc.

After 14 months at "D" I called regarding the Genie and was immediately upgraded for $50.00 even though I was just inquiring. I said ok to upgrade and love it.

Although, I do miss "'E's" prices, but you get what you pay for.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If you're lucky "E" might give you movie coupons to stay like me. I left "E" after 7 years of subscribing America's Everything Package (paying on time), due to poor Customer Service, constant billing errors, etc.

After 14 months at "D" I called regarding the Genie and was immediately upgraded for $50.00 even though I was just inquiring. I said ok to upgrade and love it.

Although, I do miss "'E's" prices, but you get what you pay for.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had the exact opposite happen. I was out of contract with Direct and had a HR22 and a HR24. The HR22 was so slow and it was dying. To be honest the HR24 wasn't very fast either. Anyway I called up and asked about the Genie and explained that my HR22 was about dead. They gave an upgrade quote of $300 and a brand new shiny 2 year contract. I wasn't looking for a freebie or a hand out. I knew an upgrade would come with a new 2 year contract. They would not jump from that $300 price. Again I was out of contract Premier package with Sunday ticket almost 7 years in and never missed a payment.

My wife and I talked about it. We didn't want to leave Direct but $300 was to much. I found this place and asked some questions about Dish. I was helped out by the nice people here and DIRT hooked me up. We got 2 Hoppers installed and it cost me a cool $100. Plus a year of discounts. The thing I find the most amusing is I could own 2 Hoppers for $400. Direct wanted me to lease their Genie for $300 upfront.

I don't have anything really bad to say about Direct. They did the same thing to me that Dish did to you. The one thing I do like about Dish is of course the Hopper DVR's and they let you get the Redzone Channel for $11 a month. Well I got it for half off for 6 months. Direct made me purchase the Sunday Ticket for it. I started to notice one year that all I really watched was Redzone. I called the next year and asked if I could pay for just that channel and I was shot down. So I have saved a bundle by leaving Direct. That doesn't mean I won't go back someday. So to each his own my friend!

I have noticed as of late Dish has been great with programming offers and such. Not sure they will be as good as a new customer offer but check and see what is offered

I cringe when I hear people say they aren't looking for a "handout" from their cable service provider. There are no handouts .. you (over)pay for the service you are provided .. you pay an additional "rental" fee for equipment .. when the equipment you rent starts preventing you from enjoying what you are (over)paying for, it's a big problem that falls on the company to fix... and if they're unwilling to fix it, move to another company who understands what QOS is all about.

It's almost as if folks are scarred of calling their cable company out on their bull$%&@ games .... like we all suffer from Stockholm syndrome or something.

I'm not scared at all. I left Direct. They would not budge from $300 for an upgrade so I was gone. I'm not one of those guys that bash people for switching providers a lot. People need to do what is best for them. People that have a problem with that need to mind their own business and get a life.

I cringe when I hear people say they aren't looking for a "handout" from their cable service provider. There are no handouts .. you (over)pay for the service you are provided .. you pay an additional "rental" fee for equipment .. when the equipment you rent starts preventing you from enjoying what you are (over)paying for, it's a big problem that falls on the company to fix... and if they're unwilling to fix it, move to another company who understands what QOS is all about.

It's almost as if folks are scarred of calling their cable company out on their bull$%&@ games .... like we all suffer from Stockholm syndrome or something.

I'm not scared at all. I left Direct. They would not budge from $300 for an upgrade so I was gone. I'm not one of those guys that bash people for switching providers a lot. People need to do what is best for them. People that have a problem with that need to mind their own business and get a life.
Yeah. The brand loyalists around here are nutty. They'll berate folks that switch to get promo pricing or call to ask for discounts. They often call them ungrateful, greedy, or disloyal. Nutty, indeed.

Absolutely.. you were heading off someone from saying that you were "looking for a handout".

Those type of responses really do get under my skin.. almost as much as DirecTV not budging on their "upgrade" fee.. $300 is laughable, especially after you paid them over $10,000+ in the seven years you were with them.

Yeah. The brand loyalists around here are nutty. They'll berate folks that switch to get promo pricing or call to ask for discounts. They often call them ungrateful, greedy, or disloyal. Nutty, indeed.

I've said this before.... The only thing I am loyal to is my wife, my country and my Buckeyes. I will never be a fanboy of a phone, gadget or service provider. Do I switch every two years no. You give me good service and treat me right I'll stay but I won't jump on others that do it. Some people have way to much time on their hands to worry about what other people are doing. Step away from the TV and get a girlfriend or boyfriend. Go have a beer. Life is to short to worry about that stuff. These are the people that say they hate certain threads and always have to post in them. :rolleyes:

It has been my experience that Dish Chat service seems to hand out the deals more than say DIRT here or calling in.

I don't know if I would go in with guns blazing saying you are going to leave though.

I would start a chat session saying to the effect you are thinking of upgrading to a Hopper/Joey combo and was wondering what deals are out there.

They may throw in free moving channels for a few months ... or ... some credits for a few months.

If you still don't like the deals ... then you can bring out the guns I suppose. They may call your bluff though ... so be ready to follow through.

Last edited:
I got an offer from Direct by mail and email. It was for a free Genie and basically the new customer deals. Again it was to late. I wasn't even expecting anything like that when I canceled. I would have paid a decent fee to upgrade. They made their final $300 offer so I left. Now I get a Direct offer in the mail every week. I may go back someday but right now Dish has treated me great. If I am happy I won't leave.

I've said this before.... The only thing I am loyal to is my wife, my country and my Buckeyes. I will never be a fanboy of a phone, gadget or service provider. Do I switch every two years no. You give me good service and treat me right I'll stay but I won't jump on others that do it. Some people have way to much time on their hands to worry about what other people are doing. Step away from the TV and get a girlfriend or boyfriend. Go have a beer. Life is to short to worry about that stuff. These are the people that say they hate certain threads and always have to post in them. :rolleyes:

Not bad other then the buckeyes :) :)

Well,it seems Dish is trying to retain customers,now more than ever,new subscriber growth is stagnant at best.Dish loyalty was great to us during the AMC dispute.Personally I see nothing wrong with seeing what they have to offer,to keep a longtime customer.

Here is the phone number they provided last year during the dispute,we got a free roku and credits of $120 for a year.I was very pleased.

888 683 6074

I got an offer from Direct by mail and email. It was for a free Genie and basically the new customer deals. Again it was to late. I wasn't even expecting anything like that when I canceled. I would have paid a decent fee to upgrade. They made their final $300 offer so I left. Now I get a Direct offer in the mail every week. I may go back someday but right now Dish has treated me great. If I am happy I won't leave.

My problem is that I think of it from a business point of view too often instead of from a customer's point of view. I make most of my decisions that way but my buying decisions around my small town do affect my business. I try to buy as much as I can in town I hope my fellow townsfolk do the same.

I do not have a problem with switching when ever there is a sweet deal though. In the end it's all about making a choice that's best for you.

Exactly. I understand your point of view too. I just don't understand the people that come in threads like that and bash people. I've been on this board for a year and I've seen it multiple times by the same people.

Last edited:
A lot of it has to do with them being content with paying the regular price since they got their original promotion. Since they are good with paying the regular price they feel that newer customers should be just as happy paying the regular price and they shouldn't be asking for a discount already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts