So far, so good--my install experience.

jbarr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Anderson, SC
My install was scheduled today, and the installers (two guys) showed up and installed the Hopper. Everything went smoothly until the software download where it hung at 82%. Hmm. 82%. That sounds familiar. Where did I see that before? Ah yes--it seems that @jeepers94 had a similar issue that I remember reading.

The installers tried three times to get the software to download, and it hung at 82% each time. They brought in a 2nd Hopper, and again, that one hung at 82%. One of the installers ended up going outside and replaced our older Dish 1000 antenna with a spiffy new black antenna that apparently connects to the satellites differently. It seems that the Hopper couldn't get a good lock on one of the satellites (sorry, I don't remember the details) with the old antenna, however once they installed the new antenna and reset the Hopper, it downloaded successfully. They later did a lock check, and it now seems to lock onto all it needs to successfully.

After that point, the install went quickly, and since I had read the heck out of online reviews, feature guides, watched YouTube videos, etc. I didn't need much instruction, so the installers left me with a nice working Hopper+Sling & 1 Joey.

I hooked up the external USB hard drive that I used to transfer several recordings from my old 722, and they transferred to the Hopper quickly and effortlessly, so now I have some immediate content to work with. Very nice!

Honestly, folks, this DVR so far is the best yet. I've have a rather extensive past with DVRs, so assessing this really is a no-brainer. I've used several ReplayTV models, a MOXI HD DVR, a very horrible Charter Cable DVR, a U-Verse DVR, a SageTV Home Theater PC, and most recently a Dish 722. The Hopper+Sling is fast, responsive, and easy to use. Coming from the 722, the overall functionality is familiar, just with a different user interface. And the interface is very intuitive. I gave the remote to my wife to play around with, and she ended up setting up timers, tweaking settings, and watching recordings without any issue. She's pretty gadget-savvy, but she comes from the "I just want to sit down and watch some TV" camp, so it definitely passed the "wife test" with flying colors.

Also, I am impressed by the speed. Menus pop on the screen, the guide screams up and down, and the overall feel is like a decent PC, not a typical media appliance.

The Joey installed without a hitch on our older SD TV, and the picture looks great. And I just LOVE the red "TV Activity" screen that shows what's going on. Really, how cool is that?!?

Thanks to another thread here, I was able to configure my old extra 722 remote to work with the Hopper, so I just save $10-$20 on a second remote. It's just me and my wife, but it's so convenient that we each have a remote, so this is a nice perk.

Anyway, I'll post updates as I find things I love and hate, so thanks for listening!

-Jim

One Hopper+Sling. One Joey. One happy wife. Life is good.

It's pretty awesome when you finally get a set up that you love. I know mine is the best it's ever been with the Hopper.

Also had my install last week. Noticed you also connected an EHD to your Hopper. Have you by chance noticed a problem with playing movies on your Joey that were originally recorded from channels you no longer get? I have several that I recorded from various pay channels that I no longer subscribe to. They played fine on my 722 and they will play from the Hopper. However, they will not play from either of my two Joeys. I get a message that says I'm not a subscriber to this channel. Strangely enough, I have 20 to 30 other movies on the EHD recorded from HBO, HDNET movies, and Starz that will play on the Joeys. Was wondering if you noticed anything similar.

I have said it over and over again, the technology from Dish far exceeds what I had with DirecTV. Now, I didn't have the Genie, but with two Hoppers (1 with sling and 1 with a Sling adapter), and Dish anywhere I can't see anything that a Genie would be better at.

Also Dish so far has made upgrading hardware so much easier. I was able to upgrade one of my original Hoppers to a Hopper with Sling after a little over a year for free. Yet DirecTV wouldn't even consider an upgrade for my leased 5 year old DVR for anything less then full price, even after being with them over 10 years. That is of course until I cancelled, now they are offering that plus so much more to "come back". The problem is that the Customer Service (especially DiRT & Chat) and technology I have received from Dish makes it hard to go back to DirecTV even with the incredible offers they keep sending me.

Honestly, folks, this DVR so far is the best yet. I've have a rather extensive past with DVRs, so assessing this really is a no-brainer.

I agree completely that the Hopper is the best DVR I've seen. I also have an extensive past, going all the way back to the very first DishPlayer, then to Microsoft's UltimateTV (on DirecTV), then on to the newer DVRs that DirecTV offered, then back to Dish with the 922, and finally to the Hopper-Dual Joey setup I have today. It's really amazing technology. They just updated the DishAnywhere app for the Android phones, and it's unbelievably fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)