DISH network scam alert! My friend got duped of $550!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hvarma2008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Johnston, IA
This is an alert for all DISH network customers. There are some scam artists that have somehow hacked the DISH network customer database, as they have all details about the current programming packages, bill payment information and the house address. They are calling customers mostly with International Programming and offering to give a bunch of free programming in return for pre-paying for 6 months of DISH subscriptions charges by promising 12 months of service. In this case, they took $550 from my friend. The only way he found out was when DISH sent him a payment overdue notice and DISH reps ofcourse had no record of the $550 transaction in their database as no such offer exists. Is there any recourse for this?
Can DISH network help this person in anyway? Is there a current investigation in progress, where at least some details can be shared?

They are calling customers mostly with International Programming and offering to give a bunch of free programming in return for pre-paying for 6 months of DISH subscriptions charges by promising 12 months of service.
if it sounds too good to be true you can bet your arse it usually is

Seriously, how big a red flag does someone need. I'm going to give you an unbelievable offer, AND you must use pre-paid cards..... Wonder how the subscription info is being obtained however. Unless unwittingly the person called is giving it...

this is well covered and been going on for years...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...rk-Loyalty-Dept-quot-for-50-off-Is-this-legit
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...-from-Google-Chat-760-705-8888?highlight=scam

Dish even sent out an email recently warning customers that they will never call you and ask for information over the phone including things like credit card information.

I would have your friend message someone at DIRT so that they can escalate your problem. I'm not sure if there's much recourse since you paid outside the Dish system, but it's worth a shot. Prepaid debit card transactions can usually be disputed for fraud as long as they still have the card information.

if you look at the first thread I linked above, Maryb in particular seems to understand the problem very well http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...or-50-off-Is-this-legit?p=3016828#post3016828

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I have directed my friend to this site.
I also got a phone call today, offering the same deal. The number in the caller ID was 800 351 4134.
If you call that number, it goes to DISH network's Loyalty Rewards department! They are really smart!!
The person that spoke also gave an ID number, just like legit DISH customer reps do!

This isn't just happening with DISH this is happening with my power company too.(AEP Ohio) I noticed a message on their website when I went to check my bill stating that they would never ask you to pay with a pre-paid debit card.

Note: AEP Ohio will never ask you to use a pre-paid debit card to make your payment. This is a common tactic of scammers. If you have any question about phone calls you receive from someone saying they represent AEP Ohio, please call us
So it's just not DISH.I have a rule if anyone calls me trying to sell me a service I hang up and call the companies 800 number directly but only if i do business with this company already.

Every offer from Dish has never been given to me over the phone, unless I called them asking first. Everything else was in my offers on Dish online. So I'd hesitant to even remotely take an offer from some random phone call. Whether they know my account info or not.

For sure a rough situation, but as others have said some flags came up, a big one for me is the whole "pre-pay" for stuff

These scammers know so much account information from Dish that it's very easy to fool even people who are little more aware. The average person just isn't prepared for this level of privacy breach from Dish. Then the scammers sweeten the pot with some compelling offer that might override someone's "red flags."

Dish is the one at fault here for compromising account information to third parties.

Last edited: