Dish network signal quality

Actually a comb filter (analog, 2-line digital, 3-line digital, 3D digital, etc.) is not a device for cleaning up analog signals. It is designed to separate the chrominance (color information) from the luminance (brightness information) in a composite video signal. S-Video and Component inputs bypass the comb filter because the chrominance and luminance signals are already separated.

The TV may have other circuity tied into the composite and RF inputs to clean up poor quality signals but its not the comb filter.

Take a look at these sites for some more info on comb filters.
Flat TV People : Comb Filters
AudioVideo101.com - Audio/Video Dictionary

Getting back to the original question, the PQ on some dish channels (especially locals) sucks. The larger and better your tv is, the more you will notice it. A good example was yesterday on NBC, they had beach volleyball. I was up close to my tv working on some wiring, and good lord!!! What a bad image. The sand was like one big pixel block. Pretty much any sports will look horrible during fast motion, or if there is a lot of motion on the screen at the same time. (ie players running around). Unfortunately, where can you go? Sounds like D* does the same, and from what i've seen on my friends digital cable, it takes even longer to tune a channel and you get the same mpeg blocks on fast motion.

Its all about profit, right? :rolleyes:

Sorry to start up an old message, but what were the end results for those of you that moved from SVideo to a composite or antenna input; Did the pixelation get reduced?

I have a 50" Panny that up-converts everything to 720p, no matter what input it receives or what format it is in (changes 1080i to 720p too). I get very bad pixelization on my locals, followed by moderate pixelization on the "cable" channels with only a little pixelization on PPV (I don't have any premiums). Of course, all this pixelization is emphasized even more when a channel shows something letter boxed (like SG1 on SciFi) and I engage the set's zoom mode...

Bottom line, should I move my connection from Svideo to composite or antenna or just leave it be? Due to my particular configuration (the way my stuff's in the rack) this process will take me about 30 minutes, so I don't want to start pulling stuff out unless I'm sure it will be a worthwhile endeavor.

Personally, I find with my older receivers the composite video is needed more.

4700- It's night and day difference
301- Looks a little better
311- S-video looks just fine.

The 311 is hooked up to 2 TV's. I use the S-video out to the projection, and then run the composite to the other TV. I originaly did this for the sake of 40 feet of composite cable was a lot cheaper than 40 feet of S-video.

As was mentioned before a lot depends on the channel. And that's because there's a few channels on each transponder. If they are all sending complex data, the picture will be poorer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)