Dish Network Slingplayer Over iPhone Through Component Cable To TV

jaguarr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
USA
Anyone know if it's possible to connect an iPhone to a TV via the Apple Component Cables and then view DVR'd and live TV through the Dish Network Remote Access app through a Slingbox unit on the Dish DVR? I know you can definitely watch recorded and live TV on the iPhone over the Slingplayer doing this but I don't know if the Dish Network Remote Access app will push video/audio through the component cable to the TV like some of the other apps on the iPhone like iTunes and Netflix do. Anyone tried this? I don't have the component cable or the Sling Adapter for my 722k, yet, so I'm trying to figure out if this will work before I go buy them. Thanks.

While I don't have the definitive answer specifically on this application, I suspect that it would. I tried that cable for my son's iPod Touch several months back to see what would and wouldn't work. At that time games would NOT display on another device, but movies would. If nothing else, but them from a local Wal-Mart and save the receipt in case you need to return them!

While I don't have the definitive answer specifically on this application, I suspect that it would. I tried that cable for my son's iPod Touch several months back to see what would and wouldn't work. At that time games would NOT display on another device, but movies would. If nothing else, but them from a local Wal-Mart and save the receipt in case you need to return them!

Thanks, Jim. I know that on the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, the video/audio feed is only allowed on certain applications, so you don't get a mirrored display. The only way a game would display on your TV over the component cables is if the developer specifically coded that capability into the app itself. I can't get a definitive answer on whether the Dish Remote Access application provides that video/audio feed out to the component cables for display over a TV or not. I'm hoping someone here has tried it or could try it to see if it works.

DISH Network Introduces America's First True TV Everywhere Offering - Page 2 - DBSTalk.Com

I spoke too soon. According to this post it will NOT work:

"Got the Sling adapter a couple of days ago. Hookup was a snap. I am using a USB hub to connect the Sling and my EHD switch with the rear USB port. I tested it on my iphone and laptop. The iphone app only works via wireless internet NOT 3G. Probably a limitation from AT&T but a major bummer for true mobile TV. The picture quality is not HD but not bad and the interface is very good. I also tried it on my laptop via Dish's website. Once the stream starts the picture quality can be changed from good-better-best. Best being full HD which looks great. One annoyance - on the PC side it has a picture of the actual Dish remote but the 30 second skip is not usable. - you can use the standard FF. I also think the interface on the iphone is superior I would imagine it would work really well on the ipad when it comes out. I tried my iphone at the office and it worked great but I was unable to install the sling plug in on my office computer so I cant speak to that. Overall not bad for $99 bucks. I am looking forward to trying it the next time I am out of town."

DISH Network Introduces America's First True TV Everywhere Offering - Page 2 - DBSTalk.Com

I spoke too soon. According to this post it will NOT work:

"Got the Sling adapter a couple of days ago. Hookup was a snap. I am using a USB hub to connect the Sling and my EHD switch with the rear USB port. I tested it on my iphone and laptop. The iphone app only works via wireless internet NOT 3G. Probably a limitation from AT&T but a major bummer for true mobile TV. The picture quality is not HD but not bad and the interface is very good. I also tried it on my laptop via Dish's website. Once the stream starts the picture quality can be changed from good-better-best. Best being full HD which looks great. One annoyance - on the PC side it has a picture of the actual Dish remote but the 30 second skip is not usable. - you can use the standard FF. I also think the interface on the iphone is superior I would imagine it would work really well on the ipad when it comes out. I tried my iphone at the office and it worked great but I was unable to install the sling plug in on my office computer so I cant speak to that. Overall not bad for $99 bucks. I am looking forward to trying it the next time I am out of town."

Mmm....not too sure about that. I wasn't expecting to stream to my iPhone over 3G since I do have a wireless network at home. Doesn't sound like the person who posted that tried going out through the Apple Component Cable from his iPhone and then streaming from the Slingplayer over a wireless network. Thanks for the info, though.

Mmm....not too sure about that. I wasn't expecting to stream to my iPhone over 3G since I do have a wireless network at home. Doesn't sound like the person who posted that tried going out through the Apple Component Cable from his iPhone and then streaming from the Slingplayer over a wireless network. Thanks for the info, though.
i sat in the parking lot of a store the other day while the family was in the store and watched a recorded show over 3G, so i'm not sure about the guy that wrote that. couldn't tell you about the component cables though, but if they do work, i may have to get a pair.

i sat in the parking lot of a store the other day while the family was in the store and watched a recorded show over 3G, so i'm not sure about the guy that wrote that. couldn't tell you about the component cables though, but if they do work, i may have to get a pair.

Apple and AT&T in general put a lot more restrictions on the network. I'm able to stream over Verizon's 3G just fine.

Streaming works fine over 3G on AT&T, hell I was actually on an EDGE network on Thanksgiving day and was still able to get a watchable stream using the Sling Player app on my iPhone 4.

Still trying to figure out if this will work or not. Can't get a straight answer from the Dish Network support folks. They don't appear to know. Anyone have all the pieces needed to just try it out for me and let me know how it goes? Thanks.

jaguarr said:
Still trying to figure out if this will work or not. Can't get a straight answer from the Dish Network support folks. They don't appear to know. Anyone have all the pieces needed to just try it out for me and let me know how it goes? Thanks.

I just switched to dish last week. I've used my dish app with an old iPod av cable through the iPhone 4 headphone jack and it supports the audio. I would think a new cable through the main would support audio and video. I'll be trying it soon and will let you know.

Well I finally got around to trying out the sling->iphone->TV. It does not work. It will send through the audio, but the video stays on the iphone. I could not find a way to toggle it. I tried iTunes and it worked fine sending the video to the TV. Looks like the sling app does not have the option of using the TV output (I used composite not component btw).

I just switched to dish last week. I've used my dish app with an old iPod av cable through the iPhone 4 headphone jack and it supports the audio. I would think a new cable through the main would support audio and video. I'll be trying it soon and will let you know.

Thanks, Tygr. I appreciate your giving it a shot. Looks like Mike beat you to it, though.

Well I finally got around to trying out the sling->iphone->TV. It does not work. It will send through the audio, but the video stays on the iphone. I could not find a way to toggle it. I tried iTunes and it worked fine sending the video to the TV. Looks like the sling app does not have the option of using the TV output (I used composite not component btw).

Thanks, Mike. I suspected this was the case. Unless Sling and Dish coded the A/V out specifically through the output port it won't do this, and my guess was that they didn't code it to do that. The component vs. composite shouldn't make a difference, there. I guess I'll see if I can harass Sling/Dish about including this functionality in their iPhone client.

Thanks again to everyone for their help on this one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)