Dish Network Statement on MLB

Sorry, I have no interest in sports AT ALL. If you really want sports extras like MLB or NFL sunday ticket then you could always pay for DIRECTV to supplement your DISH programming or just switch entirely to DIRECTV. It would cost you about 29.99 a month to sub to the family pack but you would then be able to sub to the above premium sports packs.

I am tired of sports running up my bill every year and I am talking about ESPN extorting more money every year to keep them on the line up and for us to have access to ABC and W.Disney . High priced sports teams are what are driving the cost up for everyone in tv including cable and satellite. I am all for Charlie excluding these high priced whores from Dish if it means my bill won't go up.

I would feel the same about HD channels too. I felt this year that making everyone with AEP pay an extra 10.00 a month to have the hd pack was mass extortion too. This was DIsh's greed here that caused this price hike.

I do not want my bill going up so a few ,and I mean about 55,000 people , can watch baseball. Hell I think there were about 900,000 people who lost their distant networks and DISH made out just fine. They used another company like AMERICAN DIRECT to provide the distants on the same sat but they found a way. IN fact they added more subs this last quarter than expected, and even more than Directv did in the same quarter. So I don't think that losing this premium pack will matter much to them in the grand scheme of things.

Is it bad that Dish will lose the extra sports premiums ? Sure because it limits choice for the consumer. Is it great that Charlie recognizes that making everyone pay for the few, that want the sports and make everyone's bill go up , a bad thing? YES! I am all for someone trying to keep my bill down . I would love if ALL sports were pure ala carte and had no influence in the price of the programming packs. I mean full ala carte, not just the family pack that excludes them, but also excludes other choices.
A service without ESPN? Surely you jest........

Oh I would rather have it threw Dish than DirecTV even with out MASN and YES. I am just figuring if I order it threw DirecTV Dish will then make a deal.

And I agree now that In demand has made a deal I cant help but thinking Dish now feels they have to make a deal as the Dish customer now has two options. Switch to DirecTV or switch to digital cable. I think Ill wait till the free preview ends before I just and order from DirecTV.

Besides with Dishes policy if I renew as a returning customer ill get a discount as well and I have like a $70 credit on my account as I never changed the web bill pay after I lost Dish Nets East and West so if Dish gets it I have pretty much already paid for the package.

Let me add to my comments above.

I have NO PROBLEM with Dish Network telling Major League Baseball that their price is too high, and thanks but no thanks then walking away.

The problem I have is when they don't get their way (when the other company In Demand made a deal) they whine and say they are going to go to congress and bitch and moan there, when they had the opportunity to get the deal if they wanted it.

Come on Charlie, man up just say we didn't want to pay their prices. We can respect you for that, but knock of this BS of running to congress everytime you don't get a deal you want.

Thats my take on it.

Not to get anyones hopes up, but I just talked with one of my good insider contacts and he said "The game is not over yet."

Dont know what that means and he wouldn't talk any more about it then that. So again I sit here and wait for some final news on whats going on. :(

Don't toy with me Mr. G. You know full well that I am an out of market Red Sox fan and that I am going through pretty serious withdrawal symptoms at this point. Getting my hopes up only to see them dashed is cruel and inhuman. besides the sOX usually take care of that for me.

Yes I need my Dodgers and Angels. In all fairness if I was still living in the Los Angeles area I would not huff and puff so much as this package would be a "want" rather than a "need" but living in West Virginia and watching 3 straight Pirates games. I need my Dodgers / Angels back and DirecTV is like using illegal drugs to get the fix until I can get the proper medicine.

I will agree with you though Scott if Charlie comes out and says we are not paying the money and is 100% honest about it I could respect that but as In Demand made a deal so why cant you.

They know they now have to do the deal its just a matter of when. My local cable company will no doubt start running adds here like they did when Dish lost DNS.

Still its been weird seeing Washington Nationals telecasts with the MASN Broadcast team for a change.

Let me add to my comments above.

I have NO PROBLEM with Dish Network telling Major League Baseball that their price is too high, and thanks but no thanks then walking away.

The problem I have is when they don't get their way (when the other company In Demand made a deal) they whine and say they are going to go to congress and bitch and moan there, when they had the opportunity to get the deal if they wanted it.

Come on Charlie, man up just say we didn't want to pay their prices. We can respect you for that, but knock of this BS of running to congress everytime you don't get a deal you want.

Thats my take on it.
Scott, this just in:
Dish Network announces plans to offer the PBA(professional Bowlers Association:eureka) game plan in lieu of MLB extra innings.

The only saving grace Dish has over DirecTV at the moment (for me anyway) is that I love the Dish 622 HD DVR and the DirecTV H20-700 is still buggy as h*ll. Read the message boards at DBStalk.com and it's there.....as is the case with a friend of mine who warned me against changing to DirecTV as he tried their HD DVR and tried to get it to work for months with no luck. Anyway my guess is that is it just a matter of time before they figure things out and then there is really no reason for me to continue with Dish. The DVR is why I signed up in October in the first place.

The seven HD RSNs launched are Fox Sports Network Florida (DISH Network Ch. 373), Fox Sports Network Midwest (Ch. 368), Fox Sports Network West (Ch. 367), Fox Sports Network Prime Ticket (Ch. 361), Fox Sports Network Rocky Mountain (Ch. 364), Fox Sports Network South (Ch. 370) and Fox Sports Network Southwest (Ch. 366).

Well Charlie is smart he is launching the HD RSN's in areas where he does not have trouble getting a contract to cover baseball teams.

I Notice he is not trying to add MSG HD, FSN NY HD, SNY HD (assuming they exist of course) and no no one wants to add COMCAST MD now that they have no sports programing in the summer months.

I do not want my bill going up so a few ,and I mean about 55,000 people , can watch baseball.

This in itself is very sad as Charlie could do much better if he knew how to market.
Soon The NBA and NHL will be history.

Bill go up??? My DirecTV bill didn't go up when they signed the contract with MLB. My neighbor this afternoon just got EI through the cable company, and his bill didn't go up. As a matter of fact the cable company is selling the IE package for $159.00, same as D*.

Could the "Everyones bill go up" be someone blowing smoke XXXX again?

I would like to see E* also carry IE, as it is my belief that competition is healthy and keeps prices down. But, I do have to admit, my other neighbor just left here and is switching from E* tomorrow, to D*. That will be the second one this week, getting me $100.00 off my next bill. Maybe that is part of Charlie's plan, keeping the cost of D* customers bills down. If I get two more subscribers, it will pay my IE bill for the year (including the HD games).
Thanks Charlie:hatsoff:

Last edited:
Glad I brought in D* Once my contract is up, E* is gone.
Already knocked it down to one box just so I don't have to break the contract

Too bad too, I enjoy E* but not carrying MLB, and NFL(although not their fault) was the kicker for me. D* now had 6 boxes in my house, and E* is down to one.

Shame!!!!

I agree with Charlie on this one. IT makes NO SENSE for ALL the subscribers to bear the cost so the 1% who like baseball can get the MLB pack. THis is what differentiates Dish from Directv. They actually believe in ala carte and are the cheaper priced of the two. Directv is sports bent and they want it all and it costs lots of $$$$$$$ to get all those exclusive sports like NFL and now MLB. Let Directv customers bear the cost.

IF Directv wanted to be a real sports leader they wouldn't require all subs to carry a basic programming pack to receive the one or two sports packs that subs want. If they did let you sub to a sports pack without the basic programming pack , they would gain even more money from those who wanted to keep DISH or even CABLE and still use them for the one or two sports packs. At least Dish will allow you to sub to just about anything ala carte WITHOUT requiring a basic programming pack.

Have you looked at their ala carte options lately? I'd hardly call that being able to "sub to just about anything"!

I'm in Baltimore, and Dish is refusing to pick up the new network the Orioles are broadcasting their games on. Well, I really can't say 'refusing', but if I know Charlie,... then it's a good bet they are. Last year, all (home and away for the exception of 12) Oriole games were on our local FSN channel (Comcast Sport Net). This year the best you can get on 424 are Hockey reruns,... and if not that, then Poker Tournaments! Right, what an exciting sport line-up that is!

In fact I'm here trying to find out what the real deal is concerning our team's games. I wish your claim about ala carte were true!

Well Charlie is smart he is launching the HD RSN's in areas where he does not have trouble getting a contract to cover baseball teams.

I Notice he is not trying to add MSG HD, FSN NY HD, SNY HD (assuming they exist of course) and no no one wants to add COMCAST MD now that they have no sports programing in the summer months.

Or h e is just adding the Fox ones because he has the rights.

Bill go up??? My DirecTV bill didn't go up when they signed the contract with MLB. My neighbor this afternoon just got EI through the cable company, and his bill didn't go up. As a matter of fact the cable company is selling the IE package for $159.00 and D* is selling it for $169.00.

Could the "Everyones bill go up" be someone blowing smoke XXXX again?

Yea, I've never bought that argument that everyone's bill goes up due to these sports packages. Even with Sunday Ticket and all that DirecTV hasn't raised their rates any more then Dish or cable at any time. So I just don't see the argument that Charlie thinks he has. If DirecTV only goes up $3 and they have Sunday Ticket exclusive and EI and all the others while Dish *also* goes up $3 then where is this money Charlie is saving his subs?

Dish has 4 boxes in my house since 1998 and DirecTV has two boxes in my house since 2005. I am not terminating Dish as its in all the kids bedroom (except one kid has direcTV) but I might consider adding one DirecTV receiver to my main TV.

I just dont understand how the owned / lease option would work if I added one DirecTV receiver. This is what is holding me back in a away

I do not want my bill going up so a few ,and I mean about 55,000 people , can watch baseball.

This in itself is very sad as Charlie could do much better if he knew how to market.
Soon The NBA and NHL will be history.

Funny but the other providers don't aise the rates when they make these deals. Don't trust what they tell you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)