DISH Network Statement Regarding the FCC’s Program Access Decision

Good news.

Let's hope that it doesn't drag out into a long legal battle now. Hopefully the looming NBC Universal deal will make Comcast want to give the appearance that they're not going to withhold programming.

DISH Network Statement Regarding the FCC’s Program Access Decision

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Jan. 20, 2010 – DISH Network, L.L.C. today issued the following statement regarding the FCC’s program access decision:
"DISH Network congratulates the FCC for delivering consumers a double victory: First, sports fans in Philadelphia and San Diego will soon have a choice of pay-TV providers; second, consumers can no longer be held hostage during a contract dispute between cable programmers and video distributors. DISH Network thanks Chairman Genachowski for his leadership and for standing up for consumers and competition."

This news just made my day.
I would love to be able to watch philly sports but refused to deal with comcast ever again after my last debacle with them.

where is the actual statement from the FCC?
I think this is what you are looking for.
WASHINGTON – Federal regulators have closed a wrinkle that has allowed cable TV operators to withhold sporting events and other popular programming that they own from satellite companies and other rivals.
The Federal Communications Commission voted 4-to-1 on Wednesday to eliminate the so-called "terrestrial loophole" in a 1992 federal cable law.

But what does this part mean????????
second, consumers can no longer be held hostage during a contract dispute between cable programmers and video distributors.

Here's an article on multichannel.com:

FCC Votes To Close Terrestrial RSN Exemption - 2010-01-20 17:25:44 | Multichannel News

Now, the article clearly talks about NY RSNs, too which, I am assuming, talks about the fact that Cablevision doesn't allow neither Dish nor Fios to offer MSG or MSG+ in HD. However, Dish only talks about San Diego and Philly - so much for my hopes of, eventually, watching MSG or MSG+ in HD on Dish...

probably that in Philly & San Diego to see the local sports teams they HAVE to get cable

The problem in philly since i lived there alot of years and go once a year was about Comcast my uncle that lives in Delaware County has Dish and could not get the Phillies, Sixers or Flyers thru Comcast because dish could not carry it. Comcast had it only for cables companies in the Philly area

Slowly I turn

Here's an article on multichannel.com:

FCC Votes To Close Terrestrial RSN Exemption - 2010-01-20 17:25:44 | Multichannel News

Now, the article clearly talks about NY RSNs, too which, I am assuming, talks about the fact that Cablevision doesn't allow neither Dish nor Fios to offer MSG or MSG+ in HD. However, Dish only talks about San Diego and Philly - so much for my hopes of, eventually, watching MSG or MSG+ in HD on Dish...

It' s a step by step situation. But now that one has fallen then it will be much harder for the others to continue to refuse.

The way I interpret it, the providers like Comcast must make it available. The question is at what cost.

I can see the providers trying to charge outrageous fees to make it so burdensome that nobody would pay.

That way they can still keep their monopoly and also be in compliance with the FCC ruling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)