Dish Network sucks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

presleyhome

Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
OK, I can live with the distant station cluster crap due to the suit by FOX (screw them) but now Dish tells me that my local station group (San Francisco, that I have had for 7 years) is now considered a distant station and I can only get Monterey/Salinas which they say is my real local. So I lose the east coast AND southern Calif stations AND the locals I've had for 7 years. What a joke. They OK'd it 7 years ago. I'm 30 miniutes from S.F. Bay and 2 hours from monterey. Bye Bye Dish, I'm gone, back to cable after 7 years. You idiots......

Last edited:
OK, I can live with the distant station cluster crap due to the suit by FOX (screw them) but now Dish tells me that my local station group (San Francisco, that I have had for 7 years) is now considered a distant station and I can only get Monterey/Salinas which they say is my real local. So I lose the east coast AND southern Calif stations AND the locals I've had for 7 years. What a joke. They OK'd it 7 years ago. I'm 30 miniutes from S.F. Bay and 2 hours from monterey. Bye Bye Dish, I'm gone, back to cable after 7 years. You idiots......

I hope you feel better, setting up an account to log in and just post that. Remember, dish doesn't set the DMA's I literally have people who live acrross the street from me and theya re in a different DMA then me (which requires a superdish while I only need a dish500.

Although I guess it looks like you can get some of your SF stations back on cable. Heck you live 30 minutes from SF, try an antenna. Get it FREE then tell them all they are idiots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Monterey_TV

I'm glad someone pointed out that Dish does not set the boundaries for what they can give and what they can't. Yes, Dish has certainly made mistakes in the past, but their hands seem to be tied on this issue. The government will listen to the networks before they listen to the carriers.

And what locals will you get with your crappy cable system ?

yeah, he sure is showing Dish! I'm sure every one will join me in hoping he enjoys those Monterey/Salinas locals he is going to be getting with that cable company he's going to! :rolleyes:

Remember, dish doesn't set the DMA's I literally have people who live acrross the street from me and theya re in a different DMA then me (which requires a superdish while I only need a dish500.

And you don't agree that's a problem? It's not like it's 1 foot beyond the 18000 foot limit for DSL and it won't work (or work well), it's that some government clown with the pushing from the networks decided that you can get those channels and the people across the street can't.

And you don't agree that's a problem? It's not like it's 1 foot beyond the 18000 foot limit for DSL and it won't work (or work well), it's that some government clown with the pushing from the networks decided that you can get those channels and the people across the street can't.

Well there has to be a boundry somewhere. Just because you happen to live on that boundry, is not the governments fault. When I grew up, I had to go to a shittier school district because I lived one neighborhood away from going to my city's school district. But I lived with it.

I never said I liked it did I? I was not going to hijack the OP's thread by starting in on a anti-NAB, DMA's are all screwed up rant. I mean hell, we could take it to the point of what about the guy that live 3 foot inside one state who's taxes suck, but the guy across the street enjoys a nice tax haven. There has to be a boundry somewhere and the 1 or 2 percent that live near that boundary, yes it does suck. What about the kid who's 4 foot 8 inches and you need to be 4 foot 9 inches to ride the ride. Sorry kid, genetics screwed ya laff.

The thing that gets me if the OP came on, registerd, posted his one rant and might never be back. People will take time to complain, but never to try to rectify. Hell, take that time to write your representative. Take the time to call an antenna place. The one thing I do not understand through it all is why cable seems to be able to circumvent alot of the DMA stuff that is coming down? Seems many cable providers can bring in channels from adjacent DMA's without recourse.

I'm glad someone pointed out that Dish does not set the boundaries for what they can give and what they can't. Yes, Dish has certainly made mistakes in the past, but their hands seem to be tied on this issue. The government will listen to the networks before they listen to the carriers.

Actually the public defines the boundaries.

The DMAs are determined by which market has over 50% of the viewing - and even if the OP is closer to San Francisco, his neighbors have decided that they want to be part of the other market.

I live 15 minutes via freeway from the Charlestonb WV DMA but cant get an over the air signal Dish and DirecTV have it set as a different market.

If San Francisco is 20 minutes away try the antenna before you cut your account with Dish. While it wont ring back New York and Los Angeles it will save some of your channels.

Your lucky if you were able to get Montery / Salinas / NY and Los Angeles plus San Francisco. Think of all the people right now that were cut off completly.

What city do you live in that puts you in the Salinas/Monterey DMA and is 30 minutes from SF? The city closest to SF in the Salinas/Monterey DMA is Scotts Valley (which is 70 miles south of SF). What method are you using to time the commute...a hover craft?

Even so, it doesn't make it Dish's fault.

I agree it is not their fault (for once.) However, it does make them less competitive in DMA's like mine where cable fills the short market with "beyond OTA" Networks and Dish or D* can not.

To keep with the amusement park analogy: In this DMA it like we are all 4'8" trying to get on a ride where you need to be 4'9" and when cable gets to the ride the attendant offers him a stool to fit the measurement;)

To the OP - since you went to the trouble of posting this rant, you should have looked around a bit & you would have found MANY posts about "moving" your account back to SF & you could have got ALL your SF locals back with a 5 min phone call... ;) ;)
'Course some people here think that's naughty & dishonest - you have to make that judgement call for yourself.

Again Dish does not control the DMA's

If you dont like the DMA's or dont like that you lost stations then follow the instructions on the homepage. :)

I assume you must be in extreme northern Santa Clara County, right??

Otherwise I don't see how you could be that much closer to San Fran than Monterey and still be in the Monterey DMA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)