Dish Network Terminates More Retailers

How are you defining "living space"?

Not mounting over living space is a nation-wide rule..... enforcement is a different issue altogether.
Living space. Any part of the roof over heated area....Not the garage or over storage closets...and of course over the soffit is not living area.
It may be a nationwide rule. I can tell you I have never heard of it. And no one here has ever failed a qc because of it.
Again if these restrictions were mandatory, completion rates would tumble to unacceptable numbers.

You have to wonder...

Okay...back on topic.

You have to wonder..why is Dish doing this right now?

I've been a retailer for over 7 years and they have never been this agressive. The answer is that their bottom line is shrinking daily...what is the reaction - panic. Every retailer has flipped somebody, maybe without even realizing it. Dish's has to do something...new accounts are drying up, so their solution is to terminate, terminate, terminate. Who to terminate? Well the one with the most residuals wins, well...loses :). If you're a large retailer with a residual check over 5k?,10K? or more, we''ll consider yourself on the blacklist. They might terminate a few smaller dealers, just to make it seem level, but make no doubt they are in it for the money. And if your sells are upside down compared to your resisduals...we'll...:confused:

HDS

Okay...back on topic.

You have to wonder..why is Dish doing this right now?

I've been a retailer for over 7 years and they have never been this agressive. The answer is that their bottom line is shrinking daily...what is the reaction - panic. Every retailer has flipped somebody, maybe without even realizing it. Dish's has to do something...new accounts are drying up, so their solution is to terminate, terminate, terminate. Who to terminate? Well the one with the most residuals wins, well...loses :). If you're a large retailer with a residual check over 5k?,10K? or more, we''ll consider yourself on the blacklist. They might terminate a few smaller dealers, just to make it seem level, but make no doubt they are in it for the money. And if your sells are upside down compared to your resisduals...we'll...:confused:

HDS
If you are performing your business the correct way you should have nothing to worry about.

If you are performing your business the correct way you should have nothing to worry about.

Well sure...I'm not concerned. That's not the point I'm making here.

Think about why now
and why mostly the larger retailers. I've spoken directly with management on this issue and it is 99.9% the larger retailer...which, of course, have larger resisduals.

Think about why now
and why mostly the larger retailers. I've spoken directly with management on this issue and it is 99.9% the larger retailer...which, of course, have larger resisduals.

This statement is true so far. There will be many more to come in the next 4 months. Big and small.

Just looks like Dish is taking a page out of D* book. D* has been doing this for years.

Think about why now

Sounds to me like they are going after any retailer that is cheating. It doesn't look like it matters what "size" they are. If you are a retailer, and you are trying to cheat the system, you are eventually going to get caught.

Sounds to me like they are going after any retailer that is cheating. It doesn't look like it matters what "size" they are. If you are a retailer, and you are trying to cheat the system, you are eventually going to get caught.

True about getting caught...but this is a loophole/scapegoat for Dish. The issue is "why" now...answer economy/sells are down. They could have been doing this for years, however, chose not too. I was audited 3 years ago on a customer - They could have pulled my license (if you can call it that) but didn't...they obviously don't have a 3 strikes rule...otherwise those aforementioned retailers would still be alive. The issue here is not who is trying to cheat the system, not whether your big or small...the issue is the money...the money...the money. Who has the money? the big retailer, with the big residuals. It's not a moral issue to them or they would have done it consistently for years..years ago. Understand? Yes, if you're cheating, you will eventually get caught, but consider this - Which benefits Dish more, terminating the retailer who has thousands of dollars in residuals or the one who has hundreds? :hungry:

HDS

yep, it's all about money! And dish has recovered multiple millions of dollars from retailers cheating over the last couple of years. I don't give a crap if they started doing this two weeks ago; two months ago; or two years ago, it's saving me money in the long run as a customer. So I say keep going. Find all the low life cheating retailers and grind them into the ground, be it their largest retailer or the smallest.
As far as shutting down cheating retailers, Dish gets two thumbs way up from me! :up :up

yep, it's all about money! And dish has recovered multiple millions of dollars from retailers cheating over the last couple of years. I don't give a crap if they started doing this two weeks ago; two months ago; or two years ago, it's saving me money in the long run as a customer. So I say keep going. Find all the low life cheating retailers and grind them into the ground, be it their largest retailer or the smallest.
As far as shutting down cheating retailers, Dish gets two thumbs way up from me! :up :up

I really couldn't say whether it's saving you money in this instance. You have to realize that co-op fraud is one thing and flipping is another. I think some clarification on the 2 issues for termination is necessary:

1. Co-op fraud is hands down wrong - the retailer is literally cheating Dish out of money.
2. Flipping (which is taking a current customer and converting them again into a new customer via their Spouse or Brother etc.) is debatable.

Flipping has its pros for Dish..a typical situation is a customer wants an HD setup but doesn't want to pay the additional upgrade fee. So, there is the possibility that they might switch to Direct or Cable - a bad day for Dish. It's my opinion that flipping has purposely gone unnoticed by Dish for years...they would rather have a flip than a cancellation. I know for a fact that Dish will regain their monies within the 2 year agreement. As far as it's cons...we'll I don't really see any and it keeps the retailer in business. Don't get me wrong I don't condone flipping...I just don't see how it affects Dish negatively in the long term if the customer is gonna switch anyways.

Like I said this is all an issue due to economic slowdown...if the economy was thriving - this would not exist.

I really couldn't say whether it's saving you money in this instance. You have to realize that co-op fraud is one thing and flipping is another. I think some clarification on the 2 issues for termination is necessary:

1. Co-op fraud is hands down wrong - the retailer is literally cheating Dish out of money.
2. Flipping (which is taking a current customer and converting them again into a new customer via their Spouse or Brother etc.) is debatable.

Flipping has its pros for Dish..a typical situation is a customer wants an HD setup but doesn't want to pay the additional upgrade fee. So, there is the possibility that they might switch to Direct or Cable - a bad day for Dish. It's my opinion that flipping has purposely gone unnoticed by Dish for years...they would rather have a flip than a cancellation. I know for a fact that Dish will regain their monies within the 2 year agreement. As far as it's cons...we'll I don't really see any and it keeps the retailer in business. Don't get me wrong I don't condone flipping...I just don't see how it affects Dish negatively in the long term if the customer is gonna switch anyways.

Like I said this is all an issue due to economic slowdown...if the economy was thriving - this would not exist.

It's not like Dish started doing this three months ago. They have been doing this for at least two years now, and if memory serves, two years ago the "economic slowdown" was a non-issue, so you can try and argue that all you want, but it's a BS excuse.
But considering you are a retailer, it's starting to sound like you are getting pretty nervous. Me thinks thou doest protest too much... :rolleyes:

I agree with Heavy Duty Satellite. I knew this day was coming but did not know how they were going to go about it. I figured they would figure a way to terminate lots of dealers somehow to recoup some of that residual income and then to get the numbers down low enough to where they will start doing all sales in-house so that they do not have to pay the large commissions (incentives Dish Network calls them - they call it that to protect themselves so no retailer can sue for not getting an incentive).

I have to disagree. I think the issue is Dish screwing existing customers by continually coming up with discounts for new customers. They should treat their loyal customers better.

It's not like Dish started doing this three months ago. They have been doing this for at least two years now, and if memory serves, two years ago the "economic slowdown" was a non-issue, so you can try and argue that all you want, but it's a BS excuse.
But considering you are a retailer, it's starting to sound like you are getting pretty nervous. Me thinks thou doest protest too much... :rolleyes:

No, they have not been doing this for the past 2 years...I'm a retailer and a fulfillment provider with over 2K customers so I would know - you don't sound like a retailer, so you don't know - if you are, we'll you should know. These audits are for January 2008 and on. The economic crunch, recently, is not a BS issue it's an excuse to give reason for the cause...people would like to consider it a coincidence, but the motivation behind this tells a different story. I've seen my fulfillment numbers go from 30-40 jobs a month to 10 now in a matter of 40 days...I've had to lay off 4 guys. Plus, take a look at Dish's stock, especially where it was going on October 3rd. and the prior days.

As far you thinking I'm nervous...we'll, I'm not - not to be audited, but maybe to run out of work. I'm just completely frustrated to see them screwing good hard working individuals with people who work for them. The Co-op issue is a completely different thing...I'm responding to the flipping issue.

I've seen Dish do some awful things to retailer friends of mine- nice people...that would make you mouth drop. The problem is that Dish is one sided - this relates to the customer and the retailer - they expect you to serve and be loyal to them but when you need work and pick the phone to call DNS or send the GM a letter to express your concerns, they could care less - this goes for the customer too.

I just have a real beef with this...because I see it as a slimy tactic to eliminate...that is not right.

HD

It's really simple. Retailers are getting shut down because of fraud. If you are a retailer and you play in the fraud game, you are going to get caught which is what is happening. And despite what you might think...Yes, they have been working on the whole fraud issue for a couple years now (I know people who work at Dish thank you) and they have both said that they have been going after fraud for a couple years now. Are they stepping up their efforts? sure looks that way, and again I say good for them. Shut the cheaters down!

It's really simple. Retailers are getting shut down because of fraud. If you are a retailer and you play in the fraud game, you are going to get caught which is what is happening. And despite what you might think...Yes, they have been working on the whole fraud issue for a couple years now (I know people who work at Dish thank you) and they have both said that they have been going after fraud for a couple years now. Are they stepping up their efforts? sure looks that way, and again I say good for them. Shut the cheaters down!

We'll lets say they have been working on this for 2 years...why are terminating these large retailers now and not 1-2 years ago. You've said it yourself "Are they stepping up their efforts? sure look that way.." That is exactly my point, why now and why mostly these larger retailers with larger residuals...answer has to be the money factor. Your right...selfish and simple.

Believe me I don't condone cheating...I've even been cheated out of work by other deceptive retailers - stealing my accounts - it happens. But to use this as an excuse to terminate, so Dish can pocket a couple million a month, is just wrong.

I don't know if you can understand this...you don't have retailer experience and I understand that. It needs a different set of eyes.

HD

I agree with Heavy Duty Satellite. I knew this day was coming but did not know how they were going to go about it. I figured they would figure a way to terminate lots of dealers somehow to recoup some of that residual income and then to get the numbers down low enough to where they will start doing all sales in-house so that they do not have to pay the large commissions (incentives Dish Network calls them - they call it that to protect themselves so no retailer can sue for not getting an incentive).

Yep. Very cool avatar logo btw.

sorry your having this issue but....

comeon - when is anything really not about the money???

when things get slow for us, thats when the slackers, poor performers, and the constant drama queens need to be watching thier Ps&Qs. truth is that we need you LESS now and your past performance is coming to haunt you.

what business doesnt do this?

if you had to let go 4 guys, did you let your BEST go first?

its always about the money.

OK time for me to chime in here. I work for Dish's #1 distributor and have many retailers under me. I've been seeing this problem going on now for years.
Is it just bad retailers doing this? NO !!!!

Most retailers learn this "flipping" trick from Dish employees. It is mainly customer driven, which if we were to stand by your statement, Dish should be shutting down customers as well who are cheating the system. What I mean by this is customers who know how to juke the system and go into a retailer and give the wifes info, or moms, etc.... just to get the new promo, hardware, or out of market programming that they do not qualify to get. If you think I'm wrong here just do a search on this site for "moving" or "free upgrade", etc........ you will see the story of "just play the CSR roulette to get what you want".

Now another big issue that should be looked at here is the telcos. AT&T.
Dish allows AT&T to steal customers away from retailers with NO PENALTY !!! Is this fair? I don't see Dish auditing AT&T for "flipping" but it goes on daily.

Now don't get me wrong there are a few rotten apples out there that deserve what they are getting, but to just do a clean sweep of just the independent retailers is not right. They need to be looking internally first. What this round of termination looks like is just greed. If Dish just fixed their own system this would never happen.

OK time for me to chime in here. I work for Dish's #1 distributor and have many retailers under me. I've been seeing this problem going on now for years.
Is it just bad retailers doing this? NO !!!!

Most retailers learn this "flipping" trick from Dish employees. It is mainly customer driven, which if we were to stand by your statement, Dish should be shutting down customers as well who are cheating the system. What I mean by this is customers who know how to juke the system and go into a retailer and give the wifes info, or moms, etc.... just to get the new promo, hardware, or out of market programming that they do not qualify to get. If you think I'm wrong here just do a search on this site for "moving" or "free upgrade", etc........ you will see the story of "just play the CSR roulette to get what you want".

Now another big issue that should be looked at here is the telcos. AT&T.
Dish allows AT&T to steal customers away from retailers with NO PENALTY !!! Is this fair? I don't see Dish auditing AT&T for "flipping" but it goes on daily.

Now don't get me wrong there are a few rotten apples out there that deserve what they are getting, but to just do a clean sweep of just the independent retailers is not right. They need to be looking internally first. What this round of termination looks like is just greed. If Dish just fixed their own system this would never happen.

EXACTLY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)