DISH Network: Time to Stop the Retrans Mud Baths

It's hard to say but I'm sure in some markets they make a nice margin, others they may lose a little, and some they may break even. What they could do, and be transparent as possible about it, is something like this (using my market as the example and just made up numbers!):

AT120 = $64.99
ABC ($1.59 + 25%) = $1.99
CBS ($2.05 + 25%) = $2.56
FOX ($1.64 + 25%) = $2.05
NBC ($1.75 + 25%) = $2.19

Problem is, there's no consistent pricing and that alone could be a deal-breaker for Dish to implement it. Customers or potential customers could walk away because "their locals are too high", hence why Dish currently, and has always, charged the same for all markets.

The 25% adder, you ask ? Dish, without question, incurs costs for transmitting the local channels and should be compensated for that. Use the argument, "but the locals are broadcast for free" ? Fine, put up an antenna. Queue the "but I don't want to spend money buying an antenna and paying someone to install it", "I can't pick up locals where I am", "I'm not allowed to put up an antenna" excuses.... Dish is providing a service by getting the local channels to you - so pay for it.
I like your thought process. I think you can even take it a step further... have the retrans fee based on ratings (either per year or per book, whatever). The better the ratings, the more the locals get paid. The worse the ratings, the less they get. Use arbitration to determine the cost for each rating point. Arbitration could even set a percentage increase each year in the cost/point. Boom, no more negotiations, no more blackouts.

PS, I think your channel costs are high. ;)

If there were an Oscar this year for Most Disingenuous Comment by a TV Executive, it would surely have gone to DISH Network Executive VP Stanton Dodge. It was Dodge who in the context of DISH’s recent blackout of Hearst television stations claimed that broadcasters “use in-market monopoly power to put profits ahead of the public interests they are supposed to serve.” To Mr. Dodge, we would respectfully suggest: Look in the mirror.

http://www.tvfreedom.org/uncategorized/dish-network-time-to-stop-the-retrans-mud-baths/
Umm, local broadcasters are MANDATED BY LAW to consider "public interest" because thsoe frequencies are owned by "We the People" and were provided to the broadcasters as a FREE LUNCH, DINNER, and smorgasboard without even a penney retrunred to the taxpayer, who also funded many of the broadcasters cost to transition to HD. MVPD's have no such "public" mandate, AND, in the case of cable, negotiated a franchise with local governmet and agreeing to a number of conditions, in some cases including MONEY, in exchange to operate a Cable TV service in a service area. In the case of satellite, they paid for the frequencies they use in an auction with all the money going to all of us by way of our government.

So, let's set-up an auction to all and any who wish to bid for the local OTA frequencies across the country and after "We the People" are paid for those frequencies, then the broadcasters can start morally charging re-transmission fees and we could release them from any "public mandate." It is just plain WRONG that anyone has to pay for signals and the content on them when those frequencies belong to all of us. Or how about allowing local broadcasters to charge subscribers directly, then the broadcasters can get their money (to which they are not morally entitled), and the rest of us don't have to subsidize it in other charges in our bills. But I don't think you would like any of those ideas because they represent fairness in access to local stations outside of OTA.

And FWIW, you really think Les Monves or Rupert Murdoch are any better, any more honest, any more guided by ethics or moraility (or at all concerned about their obligations UNDER THE LAW while operating O&O local stations that do NOT apply to any of the MVPD's), than any of the people running the MVPD's? Please, one would have to have a bubble for head to believe that.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
How many times does it need to be said? Dish should pass whatever cost incurred for retransmitting locals directly on to the subscriber which would give them three options: Put of an antenna, pay the required fee, or opt out. Retransmission disputes with these OTA broadcasters would end literally overnight, and If this or something substantially similar isn't done, these disputes will continue endlessly.
NAB has KILLED such an option in the past. It is TOTALLY up to Congress how to handle retransmission, and Congress is in the pocket of the NAB.

We as a consumer have little choice as Dish has little choice. Congress or the NAB are not going to give in to what Dish or the consumer wants. There are more and more "cutting the cord" people these days. Going with any carrier, we are under their rules.

Umm, local broadcasters are MANDATED BY LAW to consider "public interest" because thsoe frequencies are owned by "We the People" and were provided to the broadcasters as a FREE LUNCH, DINNER, and smorgasboard without even a penney retrunred to the taxpayer, who also funded many of the broadcasters cost to transition to HD. MVPD's have no such "public" mandate, AND, in the case of cable, negotiated a franchise with local governmet and agreeing to a number of conditions, in some cases including MONEY, in exchange to operate a Cable TV service in a service area. In the case of satellite, they paid for the frequencies they use in an auction with all the money going to all of us by way of our government.

So, let's set-up an auction to all and any who wish to bid for the local OTA frequencies across the country and after "We the People" are paid for those frequencies, then the broadcasters can start morally charging re-transmission fees and we could release them from any "public mandate." It is just plain WRONG that anyone has to pay for signals and the content on them when those frequencies belong to all of us. Or how about allowing local broadcasters to charge subscribers directly, then the broadcasters can get their money (to which they are not morally entitled), and the rest of us don't have to subsidize it in other charges in our bills. But I don't think you would like any of those ideas because they represent fairness in access to local stations outside of OTA.

And FWIW, you really think Les Monves or Rupert Murdoch are any better, any more honest, any more guided by ethics or moraility (or at all concerned about their obligations UNDER THE LAW while operating O&O local stations that do NOT apply to any of the MVPD's), than any of the people running the MVPD's? Please, one would have to have a bubble for head to believe that.
You do understand that broadcasters do pay the government for use the of the spectrum, right? And the government FORCED broadcasters to make the transition to DIGITAL broadcast (and reimbursed them to do so). Public money did not pay for transition to HD. Let's not let facts get in the way of a good rant though.

You do understand that broadcasters do pay the government for use the of the spectrum, right? And the government FORCED broadcasters to make the transition to DIGITAL broadcast (and reimbursed them to do so). Public money did not pay for transition to HD. Let's not let facts get in the way of a good rant though.
Sam you use this argument all the time and it don't work, those costs in the big scope of things are minuscule.

Personally I think the local stations should be PAYING the Satellite Companies for helping them reach more of their audience.

Sam you use this argument all the time and it don't work, those costs in the big scope of things are minuscule.

Personally I think the local stations should be PAYING the Satellite Companies for helping them reach more of their audience.

Another way of looking at it for sure.

Years ago, while they didn't pay, they also didn't demand a fee, for the reason that they gain a much larger audience. In turn, they increase their advertising rate and made more money. Getting carriage on cable (and later, satellite) was no doubt a boon to them.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I never said it was a large amount of money. :nana In the big scope of things, $10/month (I still think the number is high, but I'll use it) is minuscule in a household. :biggrin2

Couldn't you say that about all the cable nets? Without MVPDs, ESPN viewership would be 0. Without MVPDs, locals would still have viewers. What's ESPN's current monthly charge? Isn't it over $5? For one channel?

Years ago, while they didn't pay, they also didn't demand a fee, for the reason that they gain a much larger audience. In turn, they increase their advertising rate and made more money. Getting carriage on cable (and later, satellite) was no doubt a boon to them.
1) MOST people can receive OTA. So I'm not sure how much larger an audience satellite brought to locals. Did it increase? Sure. "Much larger"? I'm not as confident. Which brings me to my next point...
2) How much did Dish's subscriber base grow when they went LiL? Just for fun, I'll say Dish got a "much larger" subscriber base when they started carrying locals. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Personally, I would have no problem if MVPDs were allowed to walk away and say "the price is too high". Oh, wait, they can do that now. If they couldn't we wouldn't have blackouts, would we?

That can go both ways.
Dish offers no locals, than Dish doesn't get customers.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I like the idea of choice for consumer (local networks or not) but without seeing actual contracts how do we know if its possible? Could be many contracts have locals attached to AT packages.

1) MOST people can receive OTA. So I'm not sure how much larger an audience satellite brought to locals. Did it increase? Sure. "Much larger"? I'm not as confident. Which brings me to my next point.../QUOTE]

I guess you don't live in OKLAHOMA. MOST of the state can get OETA if that is what you are talking about. Hell cell phones don't even work here.

I would say Dish got more customers with locals but mostly because ppl didn't want to put up antennas.

I guess you don't live in OKLAHOMA. MOST of the state can get OETA if that is what you are talking about. Hell cell phones don't even work here.

I would say Dish got more customers with locals but mostly because ppl didn't want to put up antennas.
What is OETA? OTA is "Over The Air", referring to a local broadcasters signal. If you are saying most of the state can receive OTA, aren't you agreeing with me? I'm confused.

1) MOST people can receive OTA
Again, using my market as an example, it extends ~60 miles away to the east, west, and north (south is the Cincinnati market) from the transmission towers. "Most" people aren't going to pick those up, not without putting up 25' or taller, outdoor antennas.

What is OETA? OTA is "Over The Air", referring to a local broadcasters signal. If you are saying most of the state can receive OTA, aren't you agreeing with me? I'm confused.

Oklahoma Educational Television Authority -PBS. Which has translators all over the State to make sure the entire State is covered if one can't receive one of OETA's 4 main channels, KETA, KOED, KOET or KWET. OKC affiliates claim the entire Western Half of the State and don't provide a signal to half of that. Hearst even shut down one of the few translators that was serving viewers in the Panhandle. So NO most viewers can't get OTA. The viewers in far North Central Oklahoma and into Kansas along the border love being told they have to watch the Tulsa stations which they can only receive if they have cable or sat.

Again, using my market as an example, it extends ~60 miles away to the east, west, and north (south is the Cincinnati market) from the transmission towers. "Most" people aren't going to pick those up, not without putting up 25' or taller, outdoor antennas.

Oklahoma Educational Television Authority -PBS. Which has translators all over the State to make sure the entire State is covered if one can't receive one of OETA's 4 main channels, KETA, KOED, KOET or KWET. OKC affiliates claim the entire Western Half of the State and don't provide a signal to half of that. Hearst even shut down one of the few translators that was serving viewers in the Panhandle. So NO most viewers can't get OTA. The viewers in far North Central Oklahoma and into Kansas along the border love being told they have to watch the Tulsa stations which they can only receive if they have cable or sat.
I just looked up Oklahoma population data. 3.8 million live in the state. Just over 1 million live in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. I did not look to see how many people are in those counties and the ones immediately surrounding the cities, maybe another million? That's why I refer to "most". MOST people live close to a populated area. I've never denied that OTA does not reach 100% of the population. I've also said I feel those who can't receive OTA shouldn't have to pay retrans fees. Too bad my opinion doesn't mean anything. Of course, if that was the case, you'd have people claim they couldn't receive OTA when a paperclip would serve as a working antenna.

SORRY, I just respond to your post without seeing OSU 1991 explained it pretty good.

OETA is Oklahoma PBS channel Oklahoma Educational Television Authority (OETA)

Most of the Oklahoma area CAN NOT get OTA. But if we are just counting population you would be correct but its the rural area that is left out.

The government reimbursed the broadcasters but the public didn't pay them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts