DISH Network(TM) Video On Demand Platform to Feature Special ABC Programs

Well can we expect a software update by tomorrow to be able to use the "Tv Entertainment " Button? If not then this whole new vod won't be accessible at all. THis must be why the software was rushed out yesterday but it didn't enable the very button that you need to use it.

Tom Bombadil said:
IMHO, this is incredibly weak material to force down onto my 622. Plot overviews of network series?!?

A couple of days ago I had to delete programming from my 622 in order to make space for another show. Meanwhile E* is spooling nonsensical stuff like this onto my drive.

Yeah... since the shows they are going to spool has been on the local affiliates several times already; how many times to we need to "catch up with Gray's Anatomy?"

MikeD-C05 said:
Well can we expect a software update by tomorrow to be able to use the "Tv Entertainment " Button? If not then this whole new vod won't be accessible at all. THis must be why the software was rushed out yesterday but it didn't enable the very button that you need to use it.

My guess is that the content is downloading and once it is complete, the button will magically turn-live.

Am I the only one who thinks this is cool? There are a few things going on at E* that I'm actually kinda excited about:

• E* is trying really hard to do this VOD thing. ABC/Disney/ESPN is a GREAT company to do this stuff with. I recall a Disney person on an Industry Insiders panel on HDNet talking about how they are trying new and exciting things to get their content into consumers homes. Just look at how it has worked out for video on the iPod. ABC was the guinee pig for the video portion of the iPod and now look what's happening. It was such a success, the next version is focusing mostly on video. This mobile video thing is getting really popular. The way I see it, E*'s hands are tied. They're trying to provide VOD with their current technology.
  • The PocketDish: They are making a really great attempt at mobile music & video. The next versions are supposed to allow downloading the HD recordings from the 622. Plus wireless connection. Plus GPS. This is great stuff.
  • I'm not worried about the 100 Gig used for VOD. Most consumer's don't even realize it's there. We need to stop worrying about the technology behind it and enjoy what we've got and what we were promised when we bought it. And that's 30 hours of HD. Not a specific hard drive size. How many HD hours would we gain with 100 more Gigs anyway? It still wouldn't be enough for most complaining here.
  • I truly believe USB hard drive functionality will be enabled this year. E* and Scott have all been saying "Fall of '06" and I believe that.
  • E* is trying really hard with this mpeg-4 thing.
  • E* is providing a service to consumers to help them find the lowest DSL price in their area. This will allow E* to provide more exciting features to those DSL customers in the future. (E* needs to change their model to be in a position in which they can battle cable. That's, I believe, what this is for.) If E* should decide to enable the network ports on their receivers, we could be looking at some really nice features.
  • E* will be providing satellite internet this year as well. That's pretty cool for those who can only get dial-up or bad connections. Sure, there's will be lag, but I'm sure there's a lot of people out on farms, etc that can't get it (my father included.) What a great way to increase profit numbers.
  • Partnering with AT&T: Brilliant if they can get that receiver working. But look out: E* might start including those features into the 622. I, for one, would love to be able to see my DVR features from the internet. Share mp3's, photos, etc.

I'm not trying to turn this into a D* bashing session, but dare I ask? What has DirecTV done lately???

Last edited:
Any reason why 522 owners aren't getting this update? I would love the episode date and times on the episodes.

ChetK,

I applaud your enthusiasm and I wish I could share in it. I do like Dish working toward VOD, but what they are offering at this point is less than worthless to me. I'm not interested in SD movies and I'm sure not interested in ABC infomercials.

I know many people are excited about mobile video. I don't know why, but they are. So I'll just have to accept that it must provide a service to them. I cannot recall a single instance in my life where I wished I had a 4" screen to watch recorded programming upon.

Now the 100GB on my 622, that would provide a real value to me. You could record about 12-14 additional hours of DishHD programming. I would truly appreciate it if E* would allow me to use this.

I will appreciate it if E* does enable USB external storage. But frankly, if I had the 100GB back, I probably wouldn't need the external box for a while. I don't record that much.

As to MPEG4, yes E* is really trying to do things here. As is D*, as are all of the cable companies. I hope an outcome will be improved HD quality. If it is only HD quanity, then ho hum.

The DSL partnership may be beneficial to some. At least it is an attempt to be user-friendly.

As to D*, they are being very slow to the market, but may be marshalling resources for a huge push in '07. If they add a lot of satellite capacity, they could leap-frog E* in a matter of months. But I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in them. Frankly even if they didn't offer any more than they are now, but they had all of their HD up in high quality, I would have switched instead of upgrading to the 622. None of the E* services that you outlined have provided any value to me. And the only feature on the horizon that would is the USB storage.

But I do give them credit for providing services that others find valuable.

Now if they gave me the 100GB back and took HDNET and HDNMV back to true HD, I'd write them a thank you letter.

Anole said:

YES

...and I think I've said quite enough. :rolleyes:

OK Anole. The fact that they are three programs that I would not watch is not cool. But the concept is very cool. Expecially if the majority of it is free. To me, they are testing the waters with this new VOD thing. I like the fact that I can watch the ABC shows on abc.com (if my DVR missed something, I've got back-up on the web).

I used to hate getting interested in series television, because I live to see every episode. Before DVR's, online streaming, and now VOD, I would miss a lot of episodes. Now, I don't have to worry about missing a single episode of an entire season.

Since it's called Video on "Demand", one would think whatever is available would have at least something to do with somebody's "demand". Up until now, it has not.

Now it looks like that may change and Dish will cater to some of the network's demands.

At some point it's going to dawn on Dish that they really should be making money with this feature and at that point we might see something useful there. gossip[1].gif

bandito.gif

Kaydigi said:
Any reason why 522 owners aren't getting this update? I would love the episode date and times on the episodes.

FTA-

"The following specials will be available free of charge beginning today through Wednesday, Oct. 4, for DISH Network customers with a 622 or 625 receiver"

It would be nice if E* gave us an option in the system settings. Check this box if you would like to allocate a portion of your disk space for Video on Demand, including free previews, movies, music videos, etc. ...

Or at least allow us the option of maximizing (100GB) or minimizing (10GB) the space for VOD.

Now this truly would be a customer-focused way of offering the service.

my 625 has not actived the tv entertainment button yet.do you have to do something special?maybe a reboot?

I'm not sure about today, but can't you just press "3" after pressing "DVR", and then you'll see all the choices, but there wasn't any as of yesterday when I last checked.

Dish on Demand is NOT Video on Demand

The idea for VOD is that you can have a much larger selection of video at the provider end instead of a box at the customer end. Cable is doing this now, as are some other providers that have enough bandwidth.

As much as I hate cable, Dish's service would be better labeled "Pre-recorded Video" or "Selected Programming" or something like that. It is just pre-recording what Dish thinks you might like. That isn't Video on Demand.

We all agree with this, however we have gotten sloppy with the terms because Dish considers it to be VOD.

In the past we have suggested that Dish enhance the service by doing such things as allowing us to select the type(s) of programming that we enjoy most and to then rotate the selections quickly, say weekly. Then at least one could have relatively fresh network programming or dramatic movies or music videos to pick from.

I guess we should give them some more time to develop the service, as it isn't even fully implemented yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)