Dish Network to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayd916

Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hi... I currently have Dish Network and I am planning to cancel and go to FTA.. and I had a few questions and needed you guys help
{Disclaimer: Total newbie to FTA and no knowledge of satellites}

1. Since dish network is going to leave the dish installed -
  • How to I find out what satellite dish it is?
  • What satellite or satellites it is pointing to?
  • Which satellite or satellites will/can I get broadcast from withOUT climbing on the roof and try to mess or redirect the dish?

2. You know how you can control two TV's with one dish box, will I need to buy two receivers or just swap the Dish box with a FTA receiver?

3. What receiver would be the best for an easy transition? I just want the basic receivers that is easy to setup now but as I learn more about FTA I will be "Updating" it.

Any help would be great.. Thanks

Welcome to the site!
First of all, any satellites that the DISH, dish is pointing to, are no good for FTA. There is nothing in the clear(ITC) on them. Also it has circular LNBF's so you will need to change out the LNBF Ass. to a Linear one. That is if your dish is Big enough. A dish 500 say for example is just too small. So, if after all of that you are willing to proceed further, we will be glad to help you out. :)

Maybe for one or two strong transponders, but no, an 18" dish is way to small for FTA..;)

On the FTA main forum page there is a subforum labeled (something mpeg) FAQ. That used to be kept up to date and I am sure if you open that forum and click to show all 18 threads there will be a wealth of information that is mostly current - and will answer many questions that you WILL have - but do not know it yet. Almost all of us started out where you are - I was even worse off, I had never had anything but over the air (and downlink for TV station) - no FTA so you can get answers here.

Since you are in Sacramento, CA I would go over to Roseville and see Brian (SatelliteAV) here on Satellite guys.

In general none of you Dish equipment will work for FTA - - - dish too small - - - wrong LNB - - - receivers only work with Dish network.

I would recommend a fixed 90cm dish and a MicroHD receiver or the brand new GeoSatPro 1200.

I recently cancelled Dish as well and have been doing FTA since 2008 - - - great fun!! Read this forum as many nuggets of gold are found here!!

Welcome to Satellite Guys!!

Hi... I currently have Dish Network and I am planning to cancel and go to FTA...
Before you go too far, be sure you understand the channels available on FTA Ku band. No point buying a bunch of equipment if the programming isn't what you're looking for. There are almost none of the channels available via Dish that are on FTA. Is that OK?

I dropped $175 a month DirecTV about a year ago and went a combination of Netflix on AppleTV at $8 a month + Ku and c-band FTA.

FTA is a hobby. If you don't think you will like tinkering and hunting for feeds and hanging on forums for hints on what is on the air at a given time you may not be satisified. If you are not a TV content junkie looking for Honey Boo Boo, FTA is a great hobby.

I do not miss paying $175 to essentially watch the same repeated shows on less than 10 channels.

===
?Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts